Come Racing?

"Come Racing!" was the famous catchphrase of Big Mac - come racing for the value. It definitely used to be the case, in the pre internet/exchange/satellite tv days. But it is still the case? We have so much information at our finger tips thesedays that I believe it's firmly in the serious bettor's favour to do his business in front of TV and PC. Obviously it's up for debate, many professionals (Nevison for example) still go racing daily, here are the pros and cons... On-course Pros

• Viewing horses in the paddock and going down to post
  • Opportunity to "read" the market, knowing when your price is going - it's possible to do this on the exchanges but I miss the best price on course around 1% of the time
  • It's sociable
  • Fresh air
  • Less temptation for "extra" bets
Off-course Pros
  • More information at your fingertips
  • Better view of races, therefore more clues for the future
  • Easier to get money on
  • Opportunity for better prices due to betfair
  • Savings on expenses
  • Trading or in-running possibilities

I believe the "off-course pros" are more valubale than the "on-course pros". The main on-course pro is probanly the opportunity to paddock watch, however although I understand it's importance, I do put less faith in this sort of things that others do (unless it's early season or other such instances were looks could provide clues). Therefore it's off-course for me everytime. I agree there is nothing finer than handing over real cash, watching a race live, cheering home a winner and collecting a wad...BUT for maximising profits I believe I'm better off at home. I'm definitely in the off-course camp, although I still probably still make the course 25 times a year. Thoughts?

Re: Come Racing? What about on course with a laptop or access to betfair even through your mobile phone. I have gone for a days racing with just my cash to get in and used my phone and betfair for all my bets. I get to see the horses parade, I watch them go to post, have done the study beforehand on the RP site and then get bets on via my phone on betfair and nearly always at better prices than the scandalous on course bookies. Many of the bookies do not have a clue and don't create their own tissue, they copy the old sod next door, they don't even have an opinion. Even around 5 years ago there was a massive difference in price on course but now they are almost all in line apart from the outsiders. When we went to Uttoxeter recently for a PL race day there was a horse that was 25's, 28's and 33's with some and one bookie had it at 40's. I thought it should be around 14-1 so got on at 40's (only £10 ew) and he cut it to 33's straight away. There must have been others liking the horses form as it went 33's, 28's, 25's, 20's, 16's and went off at 14-1 with all the bookies. It finished unplaced. Point is there was not one bookie willing to lay the horse at a bigger price as its odds tumbled, not one had the opinion it was worth laying at bigger odds, they would have had a bigger liability but also done a hell of a lot more business and made loads more money as it came in unplaced. I think you get a better view of the race on TV as on course you only often get to see the horses run past you just before the winning post and if the course doesn't have a big screen it's a bit poor for punters not having a clue where your horse is, if it's settled, off the bridle etc and often the speakers/commentary is rubbish too.

This thread has more posts. To see them, you'll need to sign up or sign in.