BBOTD Thread ~ Sponsored by Stan James / New Rules

BBOTD Thread ~ Sponsored by Stan James / New Rules  

1. 1.

• One a month, any race, any day
    • One a week, any race, any day
    • One every Saturday, any race
    • Only on stipulated Grade 1 races
    • No Super Naps

Ok guys as promised a chance to discuss The Best Bet Of The Day Thread and where we are going in the new year. I think its important to open up the thread to the members who take part each month rather than a private Mods discussion which is what usually takes place. It may be that people think its ok as it is and we just carry on as normal but at least you have the chance to say so. We all know the rules are at the top of each 'tables' thread and they have been tweaked once or twice in the first 12 months, the time limit was one change we made. All i'm after is if there is something that you strongly disagree with then lets discuss it. One issue that has been criticised is what we do with the Lay bets, its been pointed out that this would be fairer if it was calculated on liability rather than a fixed stake. Basically this would mean if a Lay won you could only lose your 1pt stake, but if its a successful Lay you only get the returns to a 1pt liabilty, so if you lay a 4/1 shot and its beaten you will get 20p and not a £1. This could satisfy people in two ways, guys may be more prone to putting Lays up knowing they cant lose a lot and the backers wont think its a devalued winner, Lays rarely get praise from other members, the reason given is that some of the prices the Lays go off at would equate to backing a 1/6 winner which wouldnt neccessarily be answered with dancing bananas would it! Anyway i'm in favour of changing the Lays to a liability figure. Any thoughts? The other option is to have a seperate Lay thread, this was tried before and fizzled out and would need some thought on the rules, limits actual Lay prices etc... Not sure if the demand would warrant it to be honest but if enough guys want it then it can be done. I plan to reset all the figures back to zero on Jan 1st, i will post and keep 2008 stats so we can compare this time next year. I introduced the current form figures half way through the year to the tables so other members could see the punters in form, is there anything else that needs to be included on a daily basis? On the subject of the tables, I'm quite happy to carry on with the admin but its not 'my' job so to speak and if anyone is desperate to do it just shout up, bear in mind it needs updating each day, this is the reason many competitions lose the interest of the members, every three or four days is just not good enough. Are the awards a good thing? These were something new this year to the PL, they will continue to be given to the winner each month, i'll see if theres any chance of a sponsor too, just a free bet would be something, i'll work on it. Anyway guys, we have a couple of weeks to discuss anything you want, also any newbies looking in please contribute, this may be a good time to join in the competition and get to know some of us, we are not a bad bunch, and some of the others are actually good tipsters!! BH

Re: BBOTD Thread ~ Opinions on way forward BH, I agree with the idea for the lays, Everything else is fine for me. With the lays maybe we could do anything that goes off bigger than 3/1 just gets 'voided' I have seen 'RPF' say 3/1 but the horse goes off at 12/1.... However I think the best idea is what you said already, Cheers.

This thread has more posts. To see them, you'll need to sign up or sign in.