Euro League Basketball

Re: Euro League Basketball

Panathinaikos vs. Zalgiris MATCH PREVIEW Panathinaikos will start what it hopes will be the long road to the Final Four in Berlin when it hosts Lithuanian champion Zalgiris Kaunas in both teams’ Euroleague opener on Wednesday night at the Athens Indoor Olympic Hall. The Greens look poised for a big year with a star-studded cast that is hungrier than ever after a tough season last year, in which the then-defending champs were eliminated in the Top 16. Zalgiris on the other hand spent the summer with high hopes, but has been forced back to earth after early season troubles have resulted in a coaching change and the team’s top scoring threat leaving. And that’s on top of injuries that have sidelined starting power forward Paulius Jankunas and budding guard Mantas Kalnietis. The latter, however, has returned to practice after suffering a broken arm last month and could suit up against Panathinaikos. One thing that the hosts’ coaching great Zeljko Obradovic will be sure to warn his players of is to beware the wounded Zalgiris. The team still features a host of top talents and an intimidating frontline that will be tough to deal with. Centers Loren Woods, Ratko Varda and Eurelijus Zukauskas give new head coach Gintaras Krapikas a rare mix of size, experience and depth. That trio plus power forwards Tomas Masiulis and Tadas Klimavicius could trouble the Green frontline led by Mike Batiste, Nikola Pekovic, Antonis Fotsis and Kostas Tsartsaris. Panathinaikos is expected to be without injured guard Vassilis Spanoulis, but still the hosts boast an impressive backcourt with Sarunas Jasikevicius, Drew Nicholas, Dusan Kecman and Nikos Hatzvirettas, plus rising star Stratas Peperoglou at small forward. Zalgiris newcomer Willie Deane will take up the challenge up penetrating the Panathinaikos defense, using veteran small forward Jonas Maciulis and Dainius Salenga and the less experienced Zygimantas Janavicius and Rolandas Alijevas to get the job done. A near-impeccable home record – Panathinaikos has not lost a Euroleague game at OAKA since January 2007, a run of 16 straight – and Zalgiris’s recent woes combine to make the hosts the clear favorite to start the season on the right foot. However a talented guard with some dangerous centers to feed in the paint and a hungry cast of role players looking for something to rally around could spell an upset for Zalgiris as the Euroleague season gets underway for these two classic sides. BETTING ANALYSIS It's true that Zalgiris had too many problems in last few weeks to be ready for this game. More of that I am pretty sure that soon more players will leave this team but at least for this match line already includes those "against-Zalgiris" negative factors. For many M.Brown departure is big loss but as for me Marcus this season will only earn money but will not score so many points. He is not in form and in his ages they only goal he can pursuit is to earn money. This year should be a boost for such players as Kalnietis, Maciulis, Janavicius and Klimavicius. This game in Euroleague for 2 of them will be a first one but don't expect Zalgiris to go on court without ambitions. Often it happens that in difficult moment young players gives a team needed boost but this not continue for long. So as for me 20 pts margin is fully expected by all sides bookmakers, punters and experts. Personally I expect 16-25 pts win for PAO but I really have no desire to put money on PAO handicap. Total line is more interesting for betting purposes. Zalgiris will meet seriuos problems in offense because their 3-point shooting ability is not so strong as last year especially now when Marcus left a team. P.Jankunas (best offensive player in preseason and first official games) is still injured and will not play. W.Dean will be defended by best defensive player in Euroleague Diamathidis. Klimavicius and Janavicius are too young to play in OAKA arena and score plenty of points, while older guys like Shalenga, T.Masiulis can't score points on regular basis even during BBL and LKL games. R.Varda is injured and will probably play limited minutes, Woods is out form and possible leader of team J.Maciulis is not feeling itself comfortable yet in the team especially taking into consideration that he also play with small injury... As you seeoffensively Zalgiris is not looking like a team capable of scoring 70+ points to PAO defense at least in my eyes, however in defense they are not looking like a team which allows 90-95 in each game. With big players like Woods, Zukauskas and Varda they are capable to defend paint zone. Guards will try to stop small players of greek club and I expect Zalgiris to stop PAO under 90 points. Pao also plays in low tempo with 155-160 posessions per game and their defense was looking solid in their first game. As for me more possible total range is about 147-155 points and that's why I think that under is best choice here.

Prediction: Panathinaikos 86 - 67 Zalgiris Pick: under 159.5 @ 1.86 CSKA - AJ Milano The defending champs begin their title defense on Wednesday when CSKA Moscow hosts Armani Jeans Milano at CSKA Universal Sports Hall in the Russian capital. CSKA has a fully reloaded roster for the new season, with much of last season’s squad back and a number of new faces joining. Meanwhile Milano unveils a roster drastically different than last season’s as it aims to take a step forward to challenge for a spot in the Top 16. The teams will be a little familiar with one another after meeting in a preseason game six weeks ago. CSKA was the victor that time 63-81 behind 13 points and 7 rebounds from Erazem Lorbek. David Hawkins paced Milano with 21. The visitors will need a big output from their backcourt to have a chance to challenge in Moscow, where CSKA has not lost a regular season Euroleague game in over two-and-a-half seasons, dating back to January 2006 – a streak of 16 straight wins. BETTING ANALYSIS There is no reason to talk about handicap because it depends only from CSKA motivation and level of play. If everything will go fine for them I don't see any problems to win by 15-20 pts or allow visitors to cut the lead down to 8-12 from 17 as it often happens when bench players step in for CSKA. Smodis will probably play too for Moscow team so I can't see any advantage where italians can compete with CSKA. As for total there some thoughts that this game should be high scoring. Both teams are defensive minded and according to stats both plays in low tempo however you never know what kind of offense CSKA will show. At the start of the season CSKA form is not yet at best standards but they scored 100+ in last Russian Superleague game. They have deep rotation of best players but CSKA has never been a show-type team they play only for result and honestly speaking I hate to analyze them because often they play in different way. Today I would give 81.5-64.5 line because should AJ Milano will have pretty much troubles with CSKA defense. AJ Milano does not have strong individual players who can create a shot for themselves so many attacks will be empty because CSKA defense is hard to crack with pick-and-rolls or 3-pointers bombing. I think that total could be lower than 148.5 but I don't think that it's a good bet. Maybe as a TV-Pick I would take under 148.5 but I would not be suprised with something like 85-66 for CSKA so it's better to stay away from betting on this match. Prediction: CSKA 79 - 64 AJ Milano Unicaja - Le mans Unicaja is great home team which likes to run fast breaks, shoot 3-pointers and dominate on the boards. If Le Mans will allow them to do control all this factors they will be smashed out of the court. Le Mans has some well known names like Bluthental, J.P.Batista and Spencer but they would not be playing for Le Mans if they would be top-material. All of them experience problems with their level of play and that's why Le Mans bought them this summer. Neither of them never were great defensive players and honestly speaking I was suprised with such low total in first official Le Mans games. But today they will meet much more seriuos opponent in Unicaja face. Bookmakers gave us 14.5 pts handicap for home team which is very close to possible outcome according to my expectations. But I feel than 81 points for Unicaja at home is too low total and if handicap would be an ideal one which should be 16.5 pts according to my estimations than we would have 83.5-84 pts line for Unicaja. Prediction: Unicaja 85 - 67 Le Mans Recommended Tv-Pick: Unicaja over 81 points or Over 147.5

Re: Euro League Basketball it is always a bit risky at first weeks in euroleague.because the spreads are too high.For example i just watch panathinaikos last week against efes pilsen in istanbul and they were really bad.they are still not ready for the new season. Zalgiris has economical problems this year and they lost marcus brown this week because of it.But they always have young ones coming and it is a team to have high discipline.The reason why the odd is so high is because of the squads.But basketball is a team game and i don't think they will reach a 19 points handicap. Zalgiris + 18,5 @ 1,90 8/10

Re: Euro League Basketball The second game is Unicaja-Le Mans.Le Mans is back to euroleague but actually they don't deserve being here for sure.Unicaja is a really good team especially offensively.There is maybe no other team to do fast break as well as them.And they have their injured players back too.Haislip will be playing tonight.I think 14 points handicap is low for this game.I am expecting a way higher spread by Unicaja. Unicaja -14,5 @ 1,90

Re: Euro League Basketball The last game is Montepaschi Siena-Prokom.Montepaschi has a system for 3-4 years and they kept all the players they wanted from last year and just made two transfers.Maybe it is the best defensive team of euroleague,they never lose discipline.When we look at Prokom,we see bunch of new guys and they aren't ready to play together yet.They are unlucky actually.Because they'll play maybe the readiest team of this league. Prokom Trefl under 67 @ 1,90 9/10 Montepaschi -19,5 @ 1,90 8/10

Sport Ice Hockey
Event Montepaschi Siena v Prokom Trefl Sopot
Selection Montepaschi Siena -19.5 (Asian Handicap)
Strength 10/10
Date 22/10/2008
Bookmaker/Price Paddy Power @ 1.91 (Back)
Reasoning Quite easy here, Siena one of the top teams this season. Last year they were one of the best and this year after some god transfers in they look even more dangerous. Prokom lost all foreign stars from last season and are surely great in Poland but nowhere the class of Siena and Euroleague standard.

• 2 years later...

No need to buy tickets from the secondary market because you won't have to pay more in order to enjoy the same brand of action that the Euroleague Final Four has to offer. All you have to do is reserve your tickets, pay your reservation, and buy the tickets once your team makes it to the finals. Ticket2Final is aptly named since this is your way to the finals, especially for real fans who truly enjoy the sport!

• 2 months later...

Re: Euro League Basketball Unicaja - Caja Laboral Selection Under 151.5 points Strength 10/10 Date 20/01/2011 Bookmaker/Price Bwin @ 1.90 I think this is going to be a tough fight. It is interesting that Unicaja plays much worse at home and in the meantime while the host are struggling in the middle of the table scoring only 64 points per game at their Jose Maria Martin Carpena Arena and trying to find their ideal form of which are very far Caja Laboral is the third Spanish team far better then the squad from Malaga. Dusko Ivanovic The leader of Basque team is one hell of a coach and will tray to get its revange here because this season Caja was defeated by Unicaja. this is a spain derby in euroleague a intense duel with a lot of pressure, high stakes are in quetion and i expect a tough fight under this line of points.

Re: Euro League Basketball Barcelona - Maccabi Tel Aviv Selection Over 146.5 points Strength 10/10 Date 20/01/2011 Bookmaker/Price Pinnacle Sports @ 1.94 the real clash European champions Barcelona tonight will host killer Maccabi which is in tremendous shape,11 victories in a row. Also they have their MVP candidate Chuck Eidson and one of the most improved players Sofoklis Schortsanitis. Maccabi was the best team in group stage with 9W and only one lost match against Caja. On the other side despite ups and downs we all know who is Barcelona and what they are capable of doing.They have players whose quality is top notch.At the end they are the champions . Also in head 2 head s Maccabi is bit better (6-4). I expect an open & shooting match which deserves a duel like just like this.

Re: Euro League Basketball Partizan - Efes Pilsen Selection Efes Pilsen Strength 10/10 Date 26/01/2011 Bookmaker/Price Pinnacle Sports @ 2.37 For this match I was hesitating whether to play under or to go with Efes.Because i dont see Partizan as a favourite here. But the threshold for under is really low,so my choice is Efes. Efes have qualified for the second round (top 16) but without having won any of the away games showing very poor performance and now without winning some of away games in the Top 16, they cant qualify for the next round.Efes must win at least some of their away games. I think that tonight the disadvantage of playing away games should not be this bad and they will have very good opportunity to win their first away game this season. Because firts of all Perasovic is former head coach of Cibona who certainly knows how to play against Partizan. Second off all this stands in for Robert ex player of Partizan and Rakocevic And third off all Efes has better quality they just need to use it in the right way. All of this is going to be adicional motive for Efes. Partizan is one of the worst teams in top 16 and i dont believe they can pass further. I think this is the moment for Efes Pilsen.

Re: Euro League Basketball Union Olimpija - Barcelona Selection Over 144.5 points Strength 10/10 Date 27/01/2011 Bookmaker/Price Pinnacle Sports @ 1.96 Union Olimpija at Arena Stozice in front of a sellout crowd will host european champions and defenders of the title Barcelona Regal.I expect excellent atmosphere at Arena and that atmosphere will push them to play above the level.It will certainly be additional wind in the back like as it was before. Its important to maintain that Barcelona is facing undefeated team because at Arena Stozice no one had the strength to crush the hosts Union Olimpija won all 5 games even Panathinaikos and Efes Pilsen faild to do it. Now Barcelona in top 16 wants to keep this first position and we all know what kind of quality they dispose.With downtown shooters who have excllent scoring ability Navarro & Anderson Barcelona is going to be extremely dangerous also they will play with fast break points while Olimpija will run its offense through Gregory and Pinkney. The match will be in high tempo and i think that it has all for overround.

• 3 weeks later...

Re: Euro League Basketball Valencia - Olympiakos Piraeus Selection Under 148.5 points Strength 10/10 Date 17/02/2011 Bookmaker/Price Pinnacle Sports @ 1.99 I need to point here that both clubs are more defensive teams and I also think that the game will be based on strong defense Olympiakos will not "chase" the victory they will enter in the match very carefully,judging by the their performance on the road a team from Piraeus can not have a lot of confidence.Valencia will try to push their style of game,high stakes are in question,this is gonna be a tought figh.

Re: Euro League Basketball Efes Pilsen - Real Madrid Selection Efes Pilsen Strength 10/10 Date 17/02/2011 Bookmaker/Price Bwin @ 1.60 If Efes wants to qualify they must win this game.Efes is fantastic at home Efes is the most successful club in the history of the Turkish Basketball League and to any opponent is extremely difficult to play here at Sinan Erdem Dome.Yes it will aslo be a very difficult to play against Real Madrid but I think that they are not in good shape right now.Efes has the advantages and they are going to use it.

Re: Euro League Basketball Union Olimpija - Lottomatica Roma Selection Over 148.5 points Strength 10/10 Date 23/02/2011 Bookmaker/Price Pinnacle Sports @ 1.96 Union Olimpija before this last home Euroleague game will tray to show their fans that they are capable of playing great basketball and winning this game.They will be motivated to play at the maximum level and its huge advantage to play at home ground at Arena Stozice.As for my opinion Union Olimpija is a better team then Roma but the match wont be easy because Roma is from game to game becoming better and better and it seams to me that they are finally in good shape.I need to mentain that both teams dont have any chances to advance but this is a Euroleague game and performance will be on maximum because althoug they cannot pass further this game has different dimension,Olimpija at home will try to show that they are better team than Roma and on the other side Lottomatica will pull out their best in order to present a good game to gain more experience in the perspection of the Italian League.Both teams can now play without beeing under the big pressure and I think that this is gonna be a open match so at the end I expect points over this line.

Re: Euro League Basketball Siena - Efes Pilsen Selection Efes Pilsen Strength 7/10 Date 24/02/2011 Bookmaker/Price Bwin @ 3.65 This is a crucial match for both teams because the winner of this big clash goas further in Eurloleague competition.Its hard to predict a winner here because the match is going to be extremly tough with full of fighting spirit and although Efes performance is not impressing on the road I think that Perasovic will pull out the best from the team in order to came out with a big victory on the other side Siena will not have such big advantage of domestic court and its also without some important players. My choice is Efes Pilsen.

Re: Euro League Basketball Lietuvos Rytas - Caja Laboral Selection Lietuvos Rytas or draw Strength 10/10 Date 03/03/2011 Bookmaker/Price Pinnacle Sports @ 1.90 Reasoning This is for the history. Although Caja is powerful and it seams to be a better team,Lietuvos Rytas will play this match for the history,in high performance with full motivation.I think that the players are ready for this big clash.They have fighting spirit and this is what I like,what bring me confidence in this bet.The squad is going to do everything and they will certainly give their best performance in order to achive the victory and pass in top 8.This is a crucial match.Speaking about starting lineups I need to mention that Caja Laboral has serious problems because important players Mirza Teletovic and Pape Sow will travel to Lithuania even though they have not been practicing with the team and are questionable for this match.This is the moment for Lietuvos Rytas!

Re: Euro League Basketball Valencia - Fenerbahce Ulker Selection Over 144.5 points Strength 10/10 Date 03/03/2011 Bookmaker/Price Bet365 @ 1.80 Reasoning Victory is fatal,victory will determine who goas further in Top 8,victory is everything. In this desire to fight untill the end to fight for the goal I believe that both teams will give their maximimum performance and in this kind of atmosphere which is going to be full of fighting spirit,the desire will push the teams to play on the highest level and in the end the match is going to be over this line of points.Fenerbahce is regarded as the better team and injury to Claver might be a problem for Valencia but I guarantee that the hosts will do their best.Judging by Valencias head coach Svetislav Pesic and his words the key of the game is going to be their defense with tough approach,but thats his stayl,on the other side Fener will try to establish their game and not succumb to pressure.In this confrontation of forces, I think the match is going to be over.

Re: Euro League Basketball Olympiakos Piraeus - Zalgiris Kaunas Selection Under 160,5 points Strength 10/10 Date 03/03/2011 Bookmaker/Price Bet365 @ 1.61 Reasoning The situation is crystal clean here.Zalgiris Kaunas is the last team in group H and temporary with 6 points have no chance to pass in the further course of this event,they are far from top 8.On the other side the hosts Olympiakos has achieved its placement in top 8 and probably will go as No.1 ranked from this group.so theres no need to rush and against unmotivated Zalgiris who has no pretensions,Olympiakos will tray to end this match with a decent victory.Also its expected to be many players in rotations and in the end I believe that this game is going to be under this line of points.