Rugby League: World Cup 2008

SortAlphaOff.gifSortFavOnAsc.gif
v6218.gifv15.gifv6004.gifv6140.gifv6074.gifv6139.gifv1.gifv6169.gifv6133.gifv6171.gifv6006.gifv2.gifv3.gifv6002.gifv10.gifv6018.gifv502.gifv6001.gifv4.gifv6005.gifv401.gif
chart_off.gifAustralia888">1.25365">1.251.21.27Betfred">1.251.221.25Boylesports">1.251.21.181.281.2Paddy Power">1.21.281.281.21.28Victor Chandler">1.2William Hill">1.221.28Betfair">1.31
chart_off.gifEngland888">7365">6.587.6Betfred">76.57Boylesports">67.586.57Paddy Power">77687Victor Chandler">7William Hill">6.58Betfair">7.4
chart_off.gifNew Zealand888 Sport">8365">778.5Betfred">5.578Boylesports">87.57.57.57Paddy Power">788.579Victor Chandler">8William Hill">79Betfair">7.4
chart_off.gifSamoa888">51365">415166Betfred">516751Boylesports">5141816751Paddy Power">8151515151Victor Chandler">51William Hill">6780Betfair">95
chart_off.gifTonga888">101365">101101120Betfred">101151101Boylesports">1016751251126Paddy Power">101151201101201Victor Chandler">301William Hill">151160Betfair">210
chart_off.gifFrance888">201365">101301102Betfred">101151201Boylesports">201151151101101Paddy Power">20167151301101Victor Chandler">201William Hill">101128Betfair">240
chart_off.gifPapua New Guinea888">301365">201301184Betfred">201201301Boylesports">501301301201251Paddy Power">50181501301201Victor Chandler">501William Hill">151245Betfair">330
chart_off.gifIreland888">501365">501251485Betfred">251251501Boylesports">501351351201251Paddy Power">501126201251251Victor Chandler">501William Hill">151750Betfair">370
chart_off.gifScotland888">501365">501201485Betfred">251301501Boylesports">501501501201251Paddy Power">501101501201251Victor Chandler">501William Hill">151750Betfair">370
chart_off.gifFiji888 Sport">501365">351501325Betfred">301501501Boylesports">1001501351501501Paddy Power">1001151501501501Victor Chandler">751William Hill">151505
In a couple of weeks the Rugby League World Cup kicks off in Australia. There has been some controversy (as always with RL world cups) about the groups. Basically Aus, NZ, England and PNG are in one group with three going through to semi-final whilst two other groups battle it out where eventually one other team makes the 4th spot in the semi's. Very harsh on PNG. In the first round of game there should be some money to be made on the handicaps, I find handicaps for international games in RL are not as accurate as our weekly rounds. Its a shame there aren't more teams in it, but the last world cup made a loss so some have had to miss out like Wales etc Only one winner for me - Aus and then between England and NZ for the final spot. Any thoughts or match bets in here :ok

Re: Rugby League: World Cup 2008 Copy and paste is fine mate. There's something wrong with the bet365 column on the site that's all. Shame it's win only outright as I think there could've been mileage in backing Samoa or Tonga to do some damage. Especially if they were to avoid Australia in the semi finals. Should be a decent tournament anyway and hopefully a few gems will appear.

Re: Rugby League: World Cup 2008 Ok Cheers Kev. I know what you mean about Tonga and Samoa but if they avoid Aus, that means they will more than likely play England or NZ and I can't see either Tonga or Samoa beating those two. Most games are early morning so I'm hoping to catch a few.

• 2 weeks later...

Re: Rugby League: World Cup 2008 This begins in a few hours time. I'll go with a couple of outrights and and match bet too. 2pts England to win World Cup 13/2 Stan James Possibly patriotic here but I genuinely think this is a decent England side and it's being well led by Tony Smith. Australia have had a few injuries coming into this event and have players in their squad who might not normally be in there. New Zealand are going through a bit of transition although if anyone can prepare a side for the big stage it's Wayne Bennett and you'd think it's between these 3 to win this. England are strong all round these days. We've always been able to mix it up front but we've struggled to create initially and then finish chances but with Pryce and Burrow in the halves and Gardner and Smith/Calderwood out wide I don't think that's as big a problem. I think England are very much good enough to make the final here and having taken the Union WC against the Aussies on their own patch, there's no reason we can't repeat that here. 10pts Samoa to win Pool C 5/6 Stan James Samoa are a strong side packed with recognisable players. Francis Meli has been a try machine all season with Saints while Carmont and Talau are two solid options in the centre but it's in the forwards I think Samoa will take a lot of beating. David Solomona, hard as nails and very skilful, Ali Lauitiiti who is similar and Harrison Hansen are all quality forwards and then there's the brute force of Kylie Leuluai, Seu Seu and the Paletua's. Tonga won't be pushovers in their match but I really do think Samoa have the quality and more importantly the power to come through this pool and claim their semi final spot. Ireland will try to put a spanner in the works but looking down the 3 sides on paper, this Samoan lot will take a lot of stopping. Samoa for me. 10pts Papua New Guinea +36 to beat England 10/11 Blue Square There's little doubt Papua New Guinea are the weakest side in this group and England will win this match but by 36pts? I'm not so sure about that. This PNG side have some NRL and Super League players in their ranks. It's the conditions which I think England will struggle to cover 36pts in. The main requirement is a win. It's going to be hot, sticky and humid and England could need a bit of an oiling having not played much rugby for a month or so. PNG are no mugs anyway, they've put 20+ points on the Aussies in recent meetings and so there's no guarantee this will be a one sided scoreboard in this match. As I say, England will win but if and when they go 20 or so ahead they may just ease off keeping something in the tank for the bigger matches to come so I think with a 36pt start, PNG are the call here.

Re: Rugby League: World Cup 2008 England -36 HCP @2.00 Simply put Englands' last 2 games: Friday, 10 October 2008

England74 - 0 (42 - 0)WalesR
Tries: Briscoe 2, Purdham, Sykes 2, Gleeson 2, Myler 2, Calderwood, Clubb, Hock, McCarthy-Scarsbrook, Fox
Goals: Purdham 10
Friday, 27 June 2008
France8 - 56 (8 - 16)EnglandR
Tries: Wynne Tries: Pryce, Gleeson 3, Fa'asavalu, Fox, Senior, Wilkin, McGuire, Wellens
Goals: Bosc 2 Goals: Sinfield 5, Burrow 3
Stade Ernest Wallon
England should easily beat this Handicap as Papua New Guinea are not as good as France and Wales and England trounced both those 2! Also having a go at Gleeson first try scorer @11.00 as he has scored 2 & 3 respectively in last 2 games! Paddypower.com :ok

Re: Rugby League: World Cup 2008

Good call Kev on PNG +36. I was quite impressed with them' date=' a shame they have been put in such a hard group.[/quote'] Cheers mate. I've not seen it yet but I had it on the radio on the way to Bury and the commentators were impressed with them. Before I looked at the groups for this thing I naturally assumed that France would be the 4th side in the "elite" group. PNG have been very unlucky to come into our group. If they were in the other 2 groups they'd be strong semi final contenders on the back of that performance. Gonna watch it later cos I've sky+'d it as they could be ones to keep with if they keep getting good starts in this comp.

Re: Rugby League: World Cup 2008 Seen it now and England will have to improve on that performance but I'm sure they will. There's nowt quite like the Aussies to make us raise our game :loon. One for tomorrow, or today :unsure. 10pts France -12 to beat Scotland 10/11 William Hill Unlike the England-PNG game, I can see this match having a more one sided look. France have a lot of quality in their side but more importantly for me they have a helluva lot of power. Their side is packed with Catalans players with the odd bit of quality from elsewhere put in there such as Julien Rinaldi. Scotland have a few good players themselves, most notably Danny Brough as well as Ian Henderson and Michael Robertson who let's not forget was winning the NRL this time 6 weeks ago. However with the likes of Murphy and Wilson France have the quality out wide and assuming Bosc on the ball and let him play then I think the French will run out comfortable winners. Another thing to take into account is this game is afternoon/early evening in Australia so temperatures are going to be high as is the humidity. That suits the French so weighing everything up, France to cover 12pts is my bet.

Seen it now and England will have to improve on that performance but I'm sure they will. There's nowt quite like the Aussies to make us raise our game :loon. One for tomorrow, or today :unsure. 10pts France -12 to beat Scotland 10/11 William Hill Unlike the England-PNG game, I can see this match having a more one sided look. France have a lot of quality in their side but more importantly for me they have a helluva lot of power. Their side is packed with Catalans players with the odd bit of quality from elsewhere put in there such as Julien Rinaldi. Scotland have a few good players themselves, most notably Danny Brough as well as Ian Henderson and Michael Robertson who let's not forget was winning the NRL this time 6 weeks ago. However with the likes of Murphy and Wilson France have the quality out wide and assuming Bosc on the ball and let him play then I think the French will run out comfortable winners. Another thing to take into account is this game is afternoon/early evening in Australia so temperatures are going to be high as is the humidity. That suits the French so weighing everything up, France to cover 12pts is my bet.
good call kev....was a thrilling game to watch esp. in the last few minutes...scotty nearly got there but france deserved it !!!cheers:cheers

Re: Rugby League: World Cup 2008 Gonna go with another in the morning. 10pts Ireland +18 to beat Tonga Evs Skybet Tonga are full of NRL players and look a decent enough outfit but Ireland are full of established Super League stars and I think they can give a decent account of themselves. They've got a decent looking back line and in Pat Richards they've got one of the better kickers knocking around the rugby league scene. Tonga have a few Super League players in their ranks as well but all eyes will probably be on the talented Feleti Mateo and I think they'll win this match but we've seen already two strong sides playing weaker sides and both struggling to put them away. The same could well happen again here with it being both side's 1st game of the tournament. Ireland definitely have points in them though and that's enough for me to back them with the 18pt start.

Re: Rugby League: World Cup 2008 I'm also going to go with the Irish with a 19.5 headstart over Tonga at the NZ tab. I'm not sure how good the Irish are but 20 points is a big headstart to overcome and if the Irish players all play in the super league they must be decent enough. I'm not sure Tonga are the fittest team around even though they do have the size, pace, and power. If the Irish can play as a unit and play very tidy footy with a good kicking game then I'll back them to maintain the headstart.

Re: Rugby League: World Cup 2008 Julien Rinaldi & Eric Anselme not in group fro France.Do you think where is a value to take Fidji win pool @ 6 here?france is favorit sure but they play one match last week and Fidji will just start their World Cup. We know nothing about this Fidji team and maybe can create suprise here France team : Taylor (Lézignan) - Murphy (Dragons), Wilson (Dragons), Raguin (Dragons), Pelo (Dragons) - (o) Bosc (Dragons), (m) Moly (Carcassonne) - Mounis (Dragons) - Guisset (cap.) (Dragons), Sadaoui (Carcassonne) - Borlin (Saint Gaudens), Wynne (Lézignan), Elima (Dragons). Remplaçants : Carrasco (Villeneuve), Casty (Dragons), Fakir (Dragons), Grésèque (Pia). Suppléant : Baile (Carcassonne)

Re: Rugby League: World Cup 2008 Can't say I know too much about Fiji and haven't looked into them yet mate. Going with one tomorrow. 10pts Samoa -6pts to beat Tonga 5/6 Stan James Tonga came through against Ireland but they made very hard work of it. Here they face Samoa in a match which looks like the group decider and it's a strong Samoan side too. Samoa include 6 Super League players. George Carmont, Harrison Hansen, Francis Meli, David Solomona, Willie Talau and Kylie Leuluai are all in the Samoan's starting lineup and there's an array of NRL players too. Tonga have some decent talent of their own but they only played 4 days ago which is no recovery time at all. This will be hot headed, brutal and very very physical. I'd be surprised if the yellow and red cards don't appear in this one but when it's all over and done with I expect Samoa to see off their Pacific Island neighbours by more than a converted try.

Re: Rugby League: World Cup 2008 I'm also on Samoa at 1.40 to win. I just see them as the classier team. The forward battle should be pretty even with plenty of battering going on but Samoa have the edge in the backs. They should win by 6-10 points. Utai plays for the Bullldogs and is a very dangerous player. Short but very fast and powerful. Meli is a good finisher and can hit hard in the tackle on the other wing. Roberts plays in the NRL for the Bulldogs and should steer the Samoans around the pitch well. Vagana and Talau are also classy solid players. Tonga having played just a few days ago should fade late in the game. Samoa: Smith Samau; Francis Meli, George Carmont, Willie Talau, Matt Utai; Nigel Vagana (capt), Ben Roberts; Kylie Leuluai, Terrence Seuseu, Tony Puletua, David Solomona, Lagi Setu, Harrison Hansen. Replacements (from): Frank Puletua, David Faiumu, Joseph Paulo, Ali Lauitiiti, Alby Talipeau. Tonga: Michael Jennings; Cooper Vuna, Fetuli Talanoa, Etuate Uasisele, Esikeli Tonga; Feleti Mateo, Joel Taufaao; Antonio Kaufusi, Tevita Leo-Latu, Awen Guttenbeil; Lopini Paea (capt), Richard Fa'aoso, Willie Manu. Replacements: Manase Manuokafoa, Epalahame Lauaki, Sam Moa, Mickey Paea.

Re: Rugby League: World Cup 2008 4/4 so far for me in this WC. Leaving the France game alone tomorrow because I think the handicap is about right. I'm betting in the other one though. 10pts New Zealand -24pts to beat Papua New Guinea 10/11 Stan James I think this could be the 1st real going over in this world cup. PNG played so well against England last week but they were helped massively by England coughing up so much ball. PNG however showed quite a bit from an attacking point of view but their defence wasn't the best and that's where I like the Kiwi's here. They'll always defend well as they are a disciplined side and even though they are missing a couple of players here I still think in Leuluai and Marshall they have a half back pairing to do some real damage here. Perrett and Vatuvei can finish chances too which helps. PNG's good play last week pretty much all came through Stanley Gene but I think the NZ halfs will control him and with it control the game. I expect a comfortable NZ win here and I expect it to be by more than 24pts.

Red hot tipping lads. Thoughts for the weekend? Do we know anything about Fiji??
I only knew two of the Fijian players. Wow. Fiji has absolutely slaughtered France 42-6. Great stuff by Fiji. As for the NZ PNG game I think I'll leave it alone. I'm unsure how it will play out.

Re: Rugby League: World Cup 2008 Nope but +16 is. 5/5 now so the pressure's on :lol. 10pts England +16 to beat Australia 10/11 Stan James In recent years test matches between Great Britain and Australia have been very close. Great Britain are now England but we've been England in all but name for a while now. In fact in the last 10 meetings between the two sides Australia have only covered 16pts twice. Those matches cover the last 6 years so it's a relevant form statistic. I don't think there will be much in this one either. Australia looked excellent last week and the form was probably franked by NZ Saturday morning. England were rusty last week but I fully expect them to raise their game 100% as we always do against the Aussies. Both sides have chatted their bollocks in the lead up to this match but with both having pretty decent defences and both just being more than happy to win and presumably secure the so called easier semi final I think England will stay within 16pts. I don't think England are ready to beat Australia yet but with the recent form in these matches I'll back them to stay within 16pts of the world champs.

Nope but +16 is. 5/5 now so the pressure's on :lol. 10pts England +16 to beat Australia 10/11 Stan James In recent years test matches between Great Britain and Australia have been very close. Great Britain are now England but we've been England in all but name for a while now. In fact in the last 10 meetings between the two sides Australia have only covered 16pts twice. Those matches cover the last 6 years so it's a relevant form statistic. I don't think there will be much in this one either. Australia looked excellent last week and the form was probably franked by NZ Saturday morning. England were rusty last week but I fully expect them to raise their game 100% as we always do against the Aussies. Both sides have chatted their bollocks in the lead up to this match but with both having pretty decent defences and both just being more than happy to win and presumably secure the so called easier semi final I think England will stay within 16pts. I don't think England are ready to beat Australia yet but with the recent form in these matches I'll back them to stay within 16pts of the world champs.
going good man.....!!!:moon

Re: Rugby League: World Cup 2008 Some small bets on tonights games: Total betting: $20 (5-10 pounds) Ireland +18pts @ 2.00 Island nations are generally ill-disciplined and more focused on the big hits rather then on the scoreline. This was shown in the Ireland v Tonga match where 2 Tongans were Sin Binned for stupid things...Also, due to the close nature of this group, the winner of this match has a very high chance of advancing to the next stage. I can't see Samoa blowing the Irish off the park tonight despite their obvious advantage in experience with the large number of NRL players in the line-up. Fiji -18pts @ 1.80 Completely the opposite here, Fiji completely blew away one of the top 4 sides in the world, and based on how Scotland played against France a week ago, I can't see them doing much to stop Fiji piling on the points again. Ian Henderson was playing about 4 positions for Scotland last week, and Micheal Robertson (argueably their star back), looked like he didn't want to be on the field. Jarryd Hayne to score @ 1.44 Hayne is an awesome player, and honestly I would have him in the Australian squad over Brent Tate. He should be able to get over at least once against the weak Scottish defence.

Re: Rugby League: World Cup 2008 10pts <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />Fiji -18 to beat

Scotland 10/11 Blue Square
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Theoretically Scotland can still qualify for the semi final. Realistically they are out though. They have to beat this impressive looking Fiji outfit by 28pts to go through to the semi final playoff. Fiji looked so impressive against France on Saturday however and only a lack of recovery time looks like stopping them running riot again here. Scotland had lots of endeavour and heart against France in their opening match but they lacked any real quality. Fiji will hit them with pace and power and I think they’ll be too tough to contain. Scotland have made one or two changes for this match but if Fiji don’t suffer from fatigue in the hot conditions, and they shouldn’t because showers are forecast during game time, then I think they’ll cover this spread comfortably even though any sort of win sees them through.