24" Monitor for £163.33

GaF

Re: 24" Monitor for £163.33 As Steve is pestering you all I thought i would join him:tongue2. I,m after a new monitor for my laptop as previously stated in a earlier post, going to wait for the sales now but was wondering if I would be better of paying a little more and getting a 24" instead of a 22" or would a 22" be ok for playing up to 4 tables at once(don't mind a bit of overlap).

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: 24" Monitor for £163.33 The thing to remember with TV's, HDTVs, is that although they are bigger, they dont have a greater resolution than a monitor - so a 32" TV probably fits the same amount of detail on it as a standard 24" Monitor - and has the same number of pixels (or possibly less - HDTV is 1920 x 1080 - many widescreen 24" monitors are 1920 x 1200). I suspect, but am not certain, that eye strain is a greater issue on a HDTV than a monitor if you are using it for a PC screen. For 22" or 24" - should be quite easy to do a mock up of what the overlap is like - I presume we're talking Boss? - you've got a screenshot of my 24" screen above - will do a mockup of a 22" screen (or more specifically of a 1680x1050 resolution) with 4xBoss tables.

Re: 24" Monitor for £163.33 I think so - you can connect it with VGA which I guess is what you have? However.......a larger screen needs larger processing power - if your PC is slow/old, I think it will be even slower with a big screen....

Re: 24" Monitor for £163.33

I think so - you can connect it with VGA which I guess is what you have? However.......a larger screen needs larger processing power - if your PC is slow/old, I think it will be even slower with a big screen....
Said I was stupid.....mmmmmmmm whats VGA:\ That make me really stupid now:lol

It also needs EELECKTRIZITEE...:tongue2.....you got that up there???;)
Now thats funny:rollin Cheers GaF, think I'll get it any way and if I cant use it it will do the kids WI or Xbox. Or polish it and use it as a mirror for the wife.

• 4 weeks later...

Re: 24" Monitor for £163.33 I think it will be largely plug and play - but if it isn't, it should be as simple as ticking a box in your graphics card control panel (assuming your graphics card has two video ports) I've just upgraded to Vista, so not sure (yet) how to do it through windows, but in XP you could just right click on the desktop, then select properties and then fiddle around with settings there..... f_20090125Mulm_33935b2.gif

and what do you have to do to make it 'panoramic' (like that 3 monitor thingy you posted on page 2?
So far as windows is concerned, it (largely) may as well just be one display with the total resolution available - so if you have 2 screens side by side that are 1024x800, then most of the time windows can just think of it as one display of 2048x800 (exceptions I'm aware of - going full screen is usually just on one display....also the Windows task bar only goes on 1 screen)

Re: 24" Monitor for £163.33 Received the monitor today :) A little disappointed by the size - rather bizarely, the 24" is smaller than the 23" (I always thought my previous monitor was 24", but in checking things out - it is actually 23") :loon But the quality of the picture seems noticably better :ok So how is 24" less than 23"? The 24" has a maximum resolution of 1920x1080 The 23" has a maximum resolution of 1920x1200 I knew this when I ordered, but was happy to lose a few pixels, for a larger (physically) screen. What I didn't consider is that the different resolution makes the 23" squarer and the 24" more rectangular - this means that, it appears, the 23" has a greater surface area than the 24" (as well as more pixels).

• 5 weeks later...

:loon found on Amazon SM 245T/24'' Gamut 97% 6ms 1500:1 DVI SyncMaster 245T Monitors/Displays LCD > 19"
SM 245T/24'' Gamut 97% 6ms 1500:1 DVI SyncMaster 245T Monitors/Displays LCD > 19" by Samsung No customer reviews yet. Be the first.More about this product
Price:£11,498.85
In stock. Dispatched from and sold by Fuzion.
Only 1 left in stock--order soon !!!
not sure exactly what extra you get for your money ! :unsure

I've dedcided to wait for the sales now but I was thinking as I don't own a nice big Flat screen TV yet wouldn't I be better off getting one one of them that would allow me to hook my laptop up to it. If so what sort of specifications should I be looking for that would allow me to do this. Sorry to keep pestering you all.
I wonder if a 30" TFT would also work as a nice HDTV? http://www.microwarehouse.co.uk/catalogue/item/A0415957?cidp=Ciao&utm_source=ciao&utm_medium=pcc Product Overview & Description logo.gif Take the next step; bring the world to you. Viewing the 305T plus' huge 30" wide-screen will change the way you see the world. Clearer, sharper, bigger, better, faster; this is the ultimate monitor, whatever your needs. Samsung SyncMaster 305T plus - LCD display - TFT - 30" - widescreen - 2560 x 1600 / 60 Hz - 300 cd/m2 - 1000:1 - 6 ms - 0.25 mm

Re: 24" Monitor for £163.33 wow, I just found this one... looks like a bargain too.... http://www.play.com/PC/PCs/4-/8921802/Samsung-SyncMaster-2343NW-23-Widescreen-LCD-Monitor/Product.html Samsung SyncMaster 2343NW 23" Widescreen LCD Monitor stars00.gif ( Not yet rated ) | Write a review » £144.99 Free Delivery Pre-order. | Due for release on 02/03/2009 [url=http://www.play.com/PC/PCs/4-/8921802/Samsung-SyncMaster-2343NW-23-Widescreen-LCD-Monitor/Product.html?add=8921802]

• Screen Size: 23"
  • Screen Resolution: 2048x1152
  • Response Time: 5ms
  • Brightness: 300 cd/m2
  • Contrast: 20000:1 (dynamic)

Re: 24" Monitor for £163.33 I'm looking to buy a computer but have no idea about what all that ram and GB stuff is i only assume the bigger the better? Does anyone know what specs are needed to be able to run say 10 poker tables, HEM, a word document, football manager, msn, aim, and be able to view videos at the same time? Just to get an idea like ;)

I'm looking to buy a computer but have no idea about what all that ram and GB stuff is i only assume the bigger the better? Does anyone know what specs are needed to be able to run say 10 poker tables, HEM, a word document, football manager, msn, aim, and be able to view videos at the same time? Just to get an idea like ;)
Maybe GaF would be willing to write the configuration of the best semi-pro PL pokerplayer computer for a reasonable price :tongue2

Does anyone know what specs are needed to be able to run say 10 poker tables, HEM, a word document, football manager, msn, aim, and be able to view videos at the same time?
I have a second hand Cray going cheap if you're interested ;) Just realised the sarcasm of this post is probably completely wasted :$

Does anyone know what specs are needed to be able to run say 10 poker tables, HEM, a word document, football manager, msn, aim, and be able to view videos at the same time?
Maybe GaF would be willing to write the configuration of the best semi-pro PL pokerplayer computer for a reasonable price :tongue2
That would be perfect :clap :lol.
I'm really not knowledgable enough to give too specific advice :$ In general though - any PC on the market now should be able to run Poker software without any strain at all. HEM (and PT and PO) I imagine will all struggle once databases get to a certain size - so the more power the better for that I guess - might be worth posting on the HEM forum for advice on what to look for for a top end HEM system - maybe things like Hard Drive access speed and RAM are more important than CPU power :unsure Football Manager is surprising heavy on resources I think - I imagine that and HEM are where you'll find the main bottlenecks (though I suppose they're both database driven software, so probably have the same needs). If you are planning on dual monitors and/or other gaming (more graphical gaming than FM09) - then your graphics card probably becomes pretty significant too.

I'm looking to buy a computer but have no idea about what all that ram and GB stuff is i only assume the bigger the better?
CPU - Central Processing Unit - this is the computational heart of the computer. It stores no data, but carries out the processing and calculations on data stored elsewhere. RAM - Random Access Memory - is the storage for the computer whilst it is operational. When the computer is switched off, everything in the RAM is deleted and lost. This is therefore only suitable for short term temporary storage that the PC needs for its current task(s). Hard Drive - This is more permanent storage that remains after the electricity is switched off. The advantage of RAM over the Hard Drive is that RAM is significantly faster. The computer (CPU) works very fast ( to MIPS - Millions of Instructions per Second) and the Hard Drive cannot feed it data fast enough. The data is therefore transferred from the Hard Drive to RAM where it is available for transfer to the CPU on demand far far quicker. The advantage of a Hard Drive over RAM is that it is more permanent. Your Hard Drive therefore needs to be big enough to store everything you need kept on your computer over its lifetime. This is likely to be many Gigabytes (and terabyte drives are on the market now too) Your RAM needs to be big enough to be able to feed your CPU data relating to everything your computer is doing at the present moment in time. This will be measured in Megabytes (I believe that you are capped at 3 MB unless you run a specific operating system - i.e. one that is 64 bit) Operating System - This is the software that loads up automatically when you switch on your computer. It controls everything that happens on the PC. Most likely you will get a Microsoft Windows System - Vista is the most recent. XP is older but still very common. Units of Measure - Your computer works with pulses of electricity. Either there is a pulse or there isn't - it is a 1 or a zero. A bit is a single pulse (or not). It is a 1 or a 0. A byte is a string of 8 bits. So it is 8 pieces of data. It may look like 0011101 A kilobyte is a string of 1024 bytes. (why 1024 and not 1000? Because it is Base 2 to the power of 10 - everything the PC does is base 2 - 1 or 0) A megabyte is a string of 1024 kilobytes. So it is also 1,048,576 bytes. It is also 8,388,608 bits. A gigabyte is a string of 1024 megabytes. So it should also be (if my maths is right :hope) 8,589,934,592 bits Hopefully this makes some sort of sense :hope