Haydock 27/9/08

fintron

Haydock 5.15 <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

I’ve backed Quirina a few times this season with mixed fortunes and think she can make amends for her disappointment last time out now she is back in handicaps. I put her up at the start of July when she picked up a handicap at Haydock and said at the time that her debut 4th at Newmarket was working out ever so well. She was closely matched with several useful types, and since that day the form has been further franked with quality efforts from the 2nd, Dar Re Mi, who has since picked up a Group 3 and finished second to only Zarkava in a Longchamp Group 1 last time out.

The other run I mentioned that day which I thought suggested she was well handicapped was her Chester 4th on her second career start. Again, the form of that race remains rock solid with Moon Sister (3rd) picking up a handicap off 78, and Lindelaan (2nd) picking up a decent Newbury handicap off a mark of 93 since Quirina’s Haydock race. The winner of that Chester contest, Portodora, hosed up on her last run at Folkestone off a mark of 78 and, all in all, I trust the form of those two races very much.

Anyway, Quirina won her handicap debut off a mark of just 75 and exploited the handicappers generosity by following up next time out at Nottingham off 82. She is now rated 88 for this but I think John Gosden may still get another win out of her, given the formline with Lindelaan especially (she was only a length or so off the Stoute runner that day).

Although she didn’t see out the final furlong at Goodwood when last seen I think that may have been more to do with the better class opposition, rather than an unsuitable trip. Indeed, her win at Nottingham proves she stays this far. The form of that Goodwood listed race was boosted yesterday when the winner, Crystal Capella, recorded back-to-back listed successes with a victory at Ascot and the 3rd that day, La Fazzini (who was about a length infront of Quirina) had previously won a York handicap off 88 and the 4th, Farley Star, was a recent handicap winner off 85, so I think Quirina could still be on a competitive mark here, rated-88. SKy Bet are offering 9/2 about her here, even after the withdrawl of the fav which has been pulled from their market, so I've had a decent bet on this one:hope

Re: Haydock 27/9/08 3.00 Musaalem 4/1 var 15 pts Was three from three and certainly seemed to be going the right direction before a run lto which on paper was poor but is one Im prepared to forgive which in massive fields can happen. Was a bit free early on and also slightly hampered before eventually fading in the last furlong. Today he is dropped back to 6f which is a trip that he has won over well before and that donc. win a couple of starts back does look very solid. Drawn 3 today but he should get a decent lead from the speedy lippoco who is drawn not far from him today and hopefully then can pounce late.

This thread has more posts. To see them, you'll need to sign up or sign in.