Help needed understanding "Laying" on Betfair

Guest RunningMan

Guest RunningMan

Hi folks, I've just layed £20 @ 3.6 on the draw for the South Africa Vs. England game. Not having "layed" a bet before, I'm confused why it then shows £20 in green against England and South Africa and -£52 in red against the draw. When placing the bet it said the "payout" would be £72 and my "liability" £52 I understand that if it's a draw I'd lose £52, but don't understand how they show what I'd win if it isn't a draw ? It looks to me like I'd only get back £20 if England or South Africa win ? Apologies if this is a stupid question, but I usually learn by experience, sometimes the hard way !! Cheers, Running Man.

Guest OddsAgainst

Re: Help needed understanding "Laying" on Betfair The 20 in green shows what you will win in the event of that outcome. So if either team win (it's not a draw) you win the backer's stake of 20, just like a bookmaker would. The best forum for this is Systems and Strategy, this forum is for issues directly relating to specific bookmakers or exchanges. I'll move it later.