Kempton 17/09/08

8.20 War And Peace was with Aiden O'Brien before changing hands for 12,000gns last October. Was 2nd LTO off a 1lb lower mark and previously was 2nd to Prescription, a runaway handicap winner yesterday at Lingfield (also off 73). Should find a race on that evidence and this extra furlong should help - 2nd over over 7f and a mile last year.] Worrying that he was outed so cheaply from O'Brien but is being campaigned at a modest level for new connections and should go close if handling the dirt. War And Peace 50% of stake E/W 8.4 & 3 betfair 8.50 Silent Master made a bold bid from the front at Lingfield LTO (not easy to do in a 7f handicap) but was collared late on. Could run another fine race. Minus Fifteen ran well against a classy well handicapped winner here LTO. But I'll give Priti Fabulous another chance back at the venue of her sole win. 2nd despite an average ride LTO at Newmarket and should go close if all is well after a 54 day lay-off. Priti Fabulous 100% of stake 3.9 betfair Combos the three above 9.20 I've backed Borrowdale a couple of times this season, was a nice winner for me at Lingfield and had some decent efforts. I can't believe he was beaten LTO. Should go well over same C&D despite a 3lb hike. If National Day ever reproduces his 2nd at Lingfield earlier in the season he will pop in at a big price. He has failed to do so ever since however. Brave Boogie was backed off the boards at Lingfield LTO but failed to run a race in the soft ground. Bit and pieces of form and may run a race if going on the surface. Borrowdale 80% of stake 7/2 Lads/Hills National Day 10% of stake 36 betfair, although 40/1 SpOdds Brave Boogie 10% of stake 46 betfair Won't be having big stakes here tonight, may do with War And Peace, he has to go well if taking to the dirt.

Re: Kempton 17/09/08 7.50 I made Hallings Overture my best bet of the day when it last ran on the all-weather and it seems he saves his best form for the AW. I wrote....

Great Leighs 8.00 After 9 straight losers and being at the bottom end of the table its time to try find a big winner methinks :lol. Again, I'm gonna show a bit of faith in Hallings Overture who I put up as my BBOTD earlier in the month. A quirky sort, very unreliable and is unlikely to make the shortlist of many. However, this is a class 6 handicap, the horses are not ultra-consistent and the field are rated 46-50 here so there is not much between them. Hallings Overture finished 8th of 14 (btn 7.12 lengths) LTO when sent off at 50/1 at Ling when he was held up and keen, showed some effort 2f out, and made some progress (hand timed). He's only ever won two races in a 30 race career, but both came over 10f on the AW (what he tackles here). Because I backed him in the past for the second of those wins thats why I've kept an eye on him since, mainly for sentimental reasons. The highest mark he's won off is 54, he ran a good second at Kempton once off 58, and today, because he's winless since Dec '06, he's down to a career low of 48. Prepared to give him one last chance before I consign him to the scrap heap and before he probably ends up on someones plate in a restaurant.
Well the old boy did me proud and bolted up at 28/1. He was given a great ride from Richard Kingscote and he stormed clear at the end after coming from nowhere. He ran on the turf last time out but that run can be ignored as he's a different proposition on polytrack. He's racing off the same mark of 48 here but I worry that there is more to beat today (highest rated rival 11 lbs superior, as opposed to 2 lbs superior when he last won) so I'm not napping it, but as before, backing for sentimental reasons at what will probably be a large price again.

This thread has more posts. To see them, you'll need to sign up or sign in.