Opening vs Closing

Guest adamskitwo

Guest adamskitwo

Hi, Does anyone know if it is better to bet on opening odds or closing odds with regards to a single football game for instance. Is there any significant difference in the accuracy? I should mention that I am currently at the end of developing a system which can output odds for the next game using a form guide style. This means that in the (x) amount of days preceding the tie, although the real odds may change, the odds provided by the system do not making this type of info pretty relevant. Thanks, Adam

Guest Weststander

Re: Opening vs Closing Doubt if there's much info on soccer markets,but there's some on horse racing. Specifically the on course markets which have lots of info on the price changes via sis etc & take place over a relatively limited 20 minute timescale prior to the race. A few things that seem relevant. The size & frequency of the price change; the direction; Generally there seems to be more accurate information in the final prices than the initial ones. Horses whose prices contract are more likely to win than their initial price implied & those that drift are less likely than their initial price implied. The size of the change is also relevant.Big jumps in price show either a confident gamble from parties with inside info or if it's a big drifter,an event(horse gets kicked in the paddock etc) that is both obvious & relevant. The price change as a function of time can be used(in horse racing at least)as a profitable predictor because it appears to reflect all relevent information that is avaiable(& more crucially how that info interacts)....most other technques fail to hook up on the interaction. Not sure if there's enough inside info in soccer for it to prove profitable there though + all the previous reservations W.

Guest adamskitwo

Re: Opening vs Closing Hi, Firstly to you Joe, you are right, I did post this question under the 'Britain' section of the forum, however, it went missing and I was under the impression that it had been deleted as when I refreshed the page, that is exactly what it said may have happened. Thankfully, I got over the initial setback and reposted.....but if you know where it may be, I will be interested to know! Thanks to you Weststander also... To interpret what you are saying into my work: The eventual winners usually have shortened odds towards the occasion as it becomes more apparent that they will succeed. If I always intend betting on the winner using a betting system which predicts fixed odds then I should bet asap! Thanks, Adam