Folkestone Wed 20/8/08

Big eager for this one but with York abandoned there's hardly any other form to look at!! 6.55 Portodora - Henry Cecil's filly runs off 78 here and looks to have a cracking chance through a couple of bits of useful form. She raced over this trip at Newmarket LTO off her current mark of 78 and only found Kalahari Gold too good. She was beaten by 6 lengths into second but to be fair, that rival was rated 85 that day and has subsequently gone on to score off 97 at a higher level than this. The 3rd was 1.5 lengths behind Portodora and even though he was only rated 68, he did win NTO at Winds, albeit off 68. The other piece of form which reads very well for Portodora is her maiden win at Chester back in May. She had the useful Lindelaan back in second and Stoute's filly won 3 of her next 4, with the latest off 93. Moon Sister was 3rd in that maiden and has just won off 78 and 4th, Quirinia, has won two since, with one coming off 82. All in all, the form suggests Porotdora could have very strong claims running off just 78 here. The going is currently reported as Gd/Sft. If there is further rain she would be heading into the unknown, although she did finish a 0.5 length second on her debut on Gd, Gd/Sft ground. She didn't seem to stay the mile at Newmarket two runs ago when first sent handicapping but back over 7f she gets my vote here. Sporting Life have her down at a forecast 9/4 and she's 3.15 on Betfair at the minute. If she's anything like that in the morning with the bookies then I'll certainly be having a good bash.:hope

Re: Folkestone Wed 20/8/08 6.55 Portodora does looked well handicapped at the moment. As fin says the Chester maiden worked out well, the 2-3-4 all done well since (2nd/4th winning off higher marks than Portodora runs off here). The 8th Deira Dubai also won. She disapppointed NTO, but that was over a mile and was back to form LTO over 7f when 2nd to Kalahari Gold. I've backed Kalahari Gold for most of his short career and he is a horse I like. Like fin said that race has worked out well too. The performance of the winner NTO isn't as important as he did beat Portodora by an easy 6l. The 3rd (Gross Prophet) and 4th (Nezami) winning NTO prove this is good form and not just a one horse race. She handled soft ground well on her debut. It looks a match to me with Benedetto. He bolted up LTO and his turf form this season has been very consistent 53311. Seems versatile with regards to ground, a recent winner on soft and firm and couldn't have won any easier LTO. I would happily take 7/4 Portodora and this be a NR. Portodora 75% of stake 3.25 betfair Benedetto 12.5% of stake win 6 betfair Benedetto 12.5% of stake place 2.06 betfair RFC

This thread has more posts. To see them, you'll need to sign up or sign in.