Goodwood Thurs 31/07

2.50 G3 sprint I may be talking out of turn but Dandy Man must be a good thing here. Ignore the fact that the mighty Godolphin now train the horse ! however its a G1 performer in a G3 race against a number of handicappers who are listed class at best. Fat Boy looks the danger on form but the drop back to 5f after running almost solely at 6f/7f is a strange one. DMan ran to a 1L defeat in the kings Stand from an unfavourable draw, however I couldnt see any of this field within 5L of the winner that day. Ladbrokes go 11/4. That looks a bit big IMO. I thought this would be a 2/1 shot at best.

Re: Goodwood Thurs 31/07

It's a great race that. Dandy is the form horse but there are so many improving sprinters in the field. I can't make my mind on which side I want to come down on. The class dropping down or the ones running well stepping up. Do you trust the form of Godolphin bowles?
I said yesterday i wouldnt back a Godolphin horse again this season....that lasted 24hrs. Dman is one of my horses i like to follow & feel this is its best chance of landing a win this season.

Re: Goodwood Thurs 31/07 I like the look of Dandy Man but his winning record is a worry. Fat Boy would appeal more but leaving it alone. VERY tough day tomorrow in my opinion. Think I will make Tawaash a selection in the 4.40 at this stage, but I couldn't be with any confidency in the other races! Really fancy Yeats too but won't be betting at those odds (4/6 currently)

Re: Goodwood Thurs 31/07 16.40 - Goodwood - Tawaash EW (10/1 Ladbrokes, 4 places 1/4 odds) Backed this horse when winning well in a maiden at Lingfield in this thread and have been keepeing an eye on since. Always though could run well at this level and today has conditions in place to run well. Trainer on form, has ideal draw and runs on the ground. Also think 7F is ideal. Won 2/3 at 7F and ran well LTO in a big field class 2 handicap to place in third.The run before that saw him run in 10th in a group 3 race, but was not too far off the pace and was respectable. One of only 2 horses in the field to have a group entry and I expect a bold show from the high draw.

Re: Goodwood Thurs 31/07 2.50 Masta Plasta 19/4 12. 5pts e.w Pace pace and more pace. One of the speediest types around and in great form atm, won big york handicap, showed blinding speed in the dash at epsom, if drawn better may not have been caught that day, raced well abroad against horses who proved ability in group races afterwards and showed more blinding speed at the curragh lto when winning, clearly now in the sort of top juvenile form he was in that saw him win at the royal meet a few years back and could be tricky to catch from wide and possibly ideal draw from whats been shown this week. A drop of rain wouldnt be a huge problem at all. Dandy Man feared most but he has questions to answer now, unlucky 3 years on the trot at asc. maybe but he often fails to win races after that and also there is the question of stable form. 4.05 Khateeb 6/1 12.5 pts e.w Having to concede weight against some improving sorts but capable of doing that, certainly very progressive himself, only 4 starts all this season and after encouraging debut run, he won well after that, ok if not a bit lacklustre run after that but when moved up in trip lto made eye catching progress in listed race at royal meet and that was a listed race in name only for me, off slow pace made late progress into fourth and certainly looked one to take from that race, has risen since but deservedly so in my book and a big danger. 4.40 Tawaash 10/1 var 12.5 pts e.w Fairly nice sort, second at hq on debut before winning twice at start of this season and both times pretty impressively, then stepped up to group 3 and ran well for a long way then before fading late on, when then dropped to 6f and a stiff 6f at that, he couldnt quite have that extra speed needed, just plugging on into a decent third and suggetsing that a return to 7f and a relatively easy 7f should suit, drawn wider which generally is preferable here and only 1 pound higher than last run.

SportHorse Racing
Event550 Goodwood
SelectionMambo Spirit (Each-Way)
Strength2/10
Date31/07/2008
Bookmaker/Price>Betfred @ 34.00 (Back)
Reasoning After a series of good runs from poor draws, this one gets a favoured high stall today. Has done nothing wrong all season and is down in grade from its run last time at Pontefract. Can go well at a big price.

SportHorse Racing
Event2.15 Goodwood
SelectionFolk Opera (Lay)
Strength10/10
Date31/07/2008
Bookmaker/Price>Betfair @ 3.40 (Lay)
ReasoningUnproven over the trip and im not sure she will stay on her performances over 12 furlongs. Has to give weight away all round to a few unexposed types and was behind Queen Of Naples (who runs in this) in the Lancashire Oaks. Too short at 9/4 and has to be a lay.

SportHorse Racing
Event2.15 Goodwood
SelectionGravitation to place
Strength10/10
Date31/07/2008
Bookmaker/Price>Betfair @ 1.98 (Back)
ReasoningDone nothing but improve since debut in April and ran a cracking 3rd in Queens Vase behind St Leger favourite Patkai. Ran another superb race last day when pushing Donegal close and that horse has since run Conduit (prominent in Leger market) very close, that was at Goodwood on Tuesday. Gets some hefty allowances from the older fillies and betfair still pay on 3 places despite only 7 runners. One of the proven stayers in the field and I expect a big run from her. (Over £500 to back at 1.98)
SportHorse Racing
Event2.15 Goodwood
SelectionGravitation
Strength5/10
Date31/07/2008
Bookmaker/Price>Betfair @ 7.80 (Back)
ReasoningDone nothing but improve since debut in April and ran a cracking 3rd in Queens Vase behind St Leger favourite Patkai. Ran another superb race last day when pushing Donegal close and that horse has since run Conduit (prominent in Leger market) very close, that was at Goodwood on Tuesday. Gets some hefty allowances from the older fillies here. One of the proven stayers in the field and I expect a big run from her.

Re: Goodwood Thurs 31/07 2.15 Folk Opera is the fav but as has been mentioned above, Godolphin's horses aren't exactly firing on all cylinders at the minute, so I'm on Hi Calypso here (11/4). Course and distance winner that has won on a variety of ground and has previous Group wins unlike Folk Opera (who must also prove itself over this trip). Sir Michael Stoute has saddled a few winners already at the festival so Hi Calypso will do for me. 3.30 Yeats is the class horse in the race and at 8/15 he is just about backable IMO. O'Brien is in top class form and Yeats has returned unbeaten in two starts this season, the first in a listed race at Navan, before picking up the Gold Cup at Ascot by 5 lengths from Geordieland. He won this race in 2006 and has his favoured gd/frm ground. 5.50 Total Impact has been running very well of late and will benefit from Frederick Tylicki's 7 lb allowance today. He performed well at Ascot LTO when btn 1.75 l off his current mark of 83 but he didn't have a claimer on board that day. Prior to that he had run at York, but the heavy ground may not have suited, and at Redcar and York on faster ground, with two seconds and both defeats coming by less than a length when rated 80 and 82. On fast ground that will suit today, with proven ability in large fields, trainer in fair form and a decent claimer up, he gets my vote. 6/1

SportHorse Racing
Event2.15 Goodwood
SelectionGravitation to place
Strength10/10
Date31/07/2008
Bookmaker/Price>Betfair @ 1.98 (Back)
ReasoningDone nothing but improve since debut in April and ran a cracking 3rd in Queens Vase behind St Leger favourite Patkai. Ran another superb race last day when pushing Donegal close and that horse has since run Conduit (prominent in Leger market) very close, that was at Goodwood on Tuesday. Gets some hefty allowances from the older fillies and betfair still pay on 3 places despite only 7 runners. One of the proven stayers in the field and I expect a big run from her. (Over £500 to back at 1.98)
SportHorse Racing
Event2.15 Goodwood
SelectionGravitation
Strength5/10
Date31/07/2008
Bookmaker/Price>Betfair @ 7.80 (Back)
ReasoningDone nothing but improve since debut in April and ran a cracking 3rd in Queens Vase behind St Leger favourite Patkai. Ran another superb race last day when pushing Donegal close and that horse has since run Conduit (prominent in Leger market) very close, that was at Goodwood on Tuesday. Gets some hefty allowances from the older fillies here. One of the proven stayers in the field and I expect a big run from her.
Great stuff Jack :clap

Re: Goodwood Thurs 31/07 4:05 Porthole could run a big race here at a big price, Disappointing last run at Windsor but can bounce back from that, Showed some good promise in hes first two runs and I know this horse is highly thought of. 2.5pts e/w 33/1 Stan James

Re: Goodwood Thurs 31/07 I'm actually doing a lot better in th non-handicaps at Goodwood (and at the aways) than the handicaps so far. Good job I am otherwise I'd be in cardboard city in these big handicaps continue in the same vein! :eek Anyway I've backed Sanvean in the 5.15. I took just over 3/1 last night but she is still backable at the current price. Ran well on debut when 3rd to Honest Quality, the winner and 2nd went on to win a Listed and G3 race. Wasn't disgraced in G2 company LTO and you'd think they'd have to be a special newcomer in this for her to get beat. Midday is well thought of but has drifted all day. Sanvean looks a definite bet to me though.

2.15 Folk Opera is the fav but as has been mentioned above, Godolphin's horses aren't exactly firing on all cylinders at the minute, so I'm on Hi Calypso here (11/4). Course and distance winner that has won on a variety of ground and has previous Group wins unlike Folk Opera (who must also prove itself over this trip). Sir Michael Stoute has saddled a few winners already at the festival so Hi Calypso will do for me. 3.30 Yeats is the class horse in the race and at 8/15 he is just about backable IMO. O'Brien is in top class form and Yeats has returned unbeaten in two starts this season, the first in a listed race at Navan, before picking up the Gold Cup at Ascot by 5 lengths from Geordieland. He won this race in 2006 and has his favoured gd/frm ground. 5.50 Total Impact has been running very well of late and will benefit from Frederick Tylicki's 7 lb allowance today. He performed well at Ascot LTO when btn 1.75 l off his current mark of 83 but he didn't have a claimer on board that day. Prior to that he had run at York, but the heavy ground may not have suited, and at Redcar and York on faster ground, with two seconds and both defeats coming by less than a length when rated 80 and 82. On fast ground that will suit today, with proven ability in large fields, trainer in fair form and a decent claimer up, he gets my vote. 6/1
Two out of three so far for today. :)

Re: Goodwood Thurs 31/07 Anyone see the 2.15 race? I was at work but also backed Hi Calypso, looked through the form last night and really fancied this to beat the Godolphin horse. Checked the results and it was bang last, beaten a fair distance. :$ Was it just shite or were there any reasons for such a poor run???

Anyone see the 2.15 race? I was at work but also backed Hi Calypso' date=' looked through the form last night and really fancied this to beat the Godolphin horse. Checked the results and it was bang last, beaten a fair distance. :$ Was it just shite or were there any reasons for such a poor run???[/quote'] You can watch the replay here, mate. http://www.racingpost.co.uk/c4/