King George VI & Queen Elizabeth Stakes - 26/07/08

Don't sure if this warrants a thread but what are everyone's views? This is the first time I've looked at the race and the betting to be honest. Firstly I cannot understand why Ask is as short as 8/1 in the betting. I'm staggered. I've been following racing since 1994 and every winner of this race bar Doyen had previously won a G1. They have all been genuine G1 performers. Ask isn't. The price is based soley on his run at Woodbine, which is pounds clear of EVERY other run - are we certain that IS his form? Don't get me wrong, I like the horse but a King George winner? Not for me. He is currently 21 on betfair, that is his price IMO. The same can be said of Macarthur. I'd much rather be on Papal Bull (who despite his quirks I always though he'd win a biggun) or Lucarno, at least they have genuine G1 form. No surprise to see them both trading much shorter than Ask and Macarthur. They are going double figures bar two and I think that is about right. The best form on offer by far is that of Youmzain and Duke Of Marmalade. Duke Of Marmalade has been so impressive this year - he slaughterd the Eclipse form at Ascot and it's a good bet he'll stay the 12f. Youmzain is a proper G1 12f horse as we all know. They probably should be closer to each other in the betting on ability but Youmzain doesn't always win as many races as he should. He has only ran twice at home in the past two years (11 races). Like many G1's this is a little too tough for me to get stuck in properly but I have just mopped up the evens about Duke Of Marmalade on betfair. He'll probably drift more at times, people will take a view about the 1m4f and want to get him. Will probably have saver on Youmzain later in the week and play odds on for the race. Not a big stake for me by any means and more an interest in what looks to be a great race and maybe the first great duel since Pentire/Lammtarra. I think punters will be split down the middle.

Re: King George VI & Queen Elizabeth Stakes - 26/07/08 When Duke of Marmalade won the Prince of Wales he wasn't stopping and so 1m4f you would think would be his optimum trip. Youmzain is a class horse but very quirky in that he has to be ridden a certain way. Richard Hughes has had a lot of flak thrown at him for the way he's ridden him in certain races, but if anyone saw the M Channon interview on ATR Saturday he stated that Youmzain settles into a race very easily but only has a 150yd burst of speed. With Red Rock Canyon likely to be the pacemaker in this race followed closely by MacCarthur I think Youmzain will have to revert back to the hold up tactics again and then it's all about whether he can get ther in time. Against Soldier of Fortune last time he decided to hit the front early but I don't think he'll be able to do that this time with the Obrien pacemaker's hence the comment about reverting to holdup tactics. To me it looks a 2 horse race and I'm honestly torn between the 2 ath the moment.

This thread has more posts. To see them, you'll need to sign up or sign in.