Sandown 17/7

SportHorse Racing
Event820 Sandown
SelectionClosertobelieveing (Each-Way)
Strength5/10
Date17/07/2008
Bookmaker/PriceWilliam Hill @ 7.50 (Back)
ReasoningLooked one to keep on the right side of when winning well at Windsor, he followed up with a decent 4th after having his run blocked on ground that didn’t suit.

Re: Sandown 17/7 7.15 Sandown Light From Mars ran well on debut to finish 3rd to Tarkheena Prince (mid 80s horse). Ran a little below that NTO when 3rd at Chepstow - that was on very soft ground however so the run can be forgiven (not that the run was that bad though). He stepped up on that when turning over hot-pot Victoria Reel on his last start on better ground. The 2nd wasn't disgraced when 2nd off 77 NTO. Light From Mars' handicap mark (80) isn't that generous, probably about right for what he has achieved, but he is going the right way and the yard is going well. However, he will need to improve to win a handicap, and I think he will need further to find that improvement. The Which Doctor is a horse I've backed every time so far this season. I am convinced he is a well handicapped animal. He was beaten a neck on debut: 1st Tanweer - given a mark of 93 after maidens 2nd The Which Doctor 3rd Swift Gift - given a mark of 85 after maidens - won and now a high 80s horse. 4th Lodi - given a mark of 80 after maidens - won twice. 6th Hadron Collider - won and now rated 71 7th Conduit - rated 79 after maidens - won twice and now a 3-figure horse. 8th It's A Date - given a mark of 84 after maidens - won. 10th Silver Rime - given a mark of 81 after maidens - won twice. 12th Enroller - given a mark of 77 after maidens - now rated high 90s. 14th Yadree - given a mark of 84 after maidens - now rated high 90s. Now I know some of these improved after this run, I'm not saying take all the form literally. But The Which Doctor won his maiden next time out but was only allotted a mark of 78! It looked a handy mark at the start of the season but now he looks like a blot on the handicap. No matter how you look at it, the handicapper has been very lenient with The Which Doctor. Hasn't won off this mark in three starts yet though. FTO he was 3rd at Windsor but lost nothing in defeat. He ran on well late after not getting a totally clean passage. 1st Silver Rime - reversed form - see above. 2nd Adversity - bolted up off a 1lb higher mark after. 3rd The Which Doctor Plenty franked this form behind. Was disappointing NTO after beign raised a lb but that was at Goodwood and I'm prepared to forgive him that as he probably didn't act on the course. Was only 10th of 14 LTO at Kempton but I assure you he would've gone very close had he not suffered a nightmare passage. Actually scrap that - he would've won. Forced to be hard held the whole race. Not seen for 43 days which is a worry, think the yard were having problems - only two runners this month (one winner though). If all is well and he gets the breaks then he is surely a winner waiting to happen. The Which Doctor 80% of stake 4.9 betfair Light From Marks 20% of stake 10 betfair Usual cast. But the one I fancy most tonight at Sandown is Kimberley.

This thread has more posts. To see them, you'll need to sign up or sign in.