Need to sort out my maths ...

Nade

Been doing a lot of work on the technical side of my game but still neglecting the maths and a hand came up tonight where i really could have done with knowing the maths better. My PO2 said i had about the odds (2.5:1) but i still wasn't sure :$ Full Tilt No-Limit Hold'em, $1 BB (6 handed) Full-Tilt Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: FlopTurnRiver) SB ($157.30) BB ($101.50) UTG ($101.70) MP ($206.20) CO ($97.15) Hero ($95.50) Preflop: Hero is Button with Jspade.gif, Qheart.gif. 3 folds, Hero raises to $3.5, SB calls $3, 1 fold. Flop: ($8) 9heart.gif, 3heart.gif, 7diamond.gif(2 players) SB bets $8, Hero raises to $20, SB calls $12. Turn: ($48) Tspade.gif(2 players) SB checks, Hero bets $24, SB raises to $120, Hero calls $48 (All-In). River: ($192) Kdiamond.gif(2 players, 1 all-in) Final Pot: $192 Results in white below: SB has 9c Ac (one pair, nines). Hero has Js Qh (straight, king high). Outcome: Hero wins $192. I knew soon as i'd bet the turn i should have made it bigger to either get him to fold or make sure i was getting the odds on hitting my outs. Would rather discussion on the hand above was ignored in terms of strategy but instead kept on topic. - So for the record to end all debates i re-raised the flop as if an overcard came and it wasn't the A it was either going to hit me, help me or i could represent it easier, also felt it likely he had A9 (especially when he put me AI) so on the turn i was pretty certain of my outs (14) - Actually a terrible turn bet by me, no idea why i made it so low and still called, but i made my mind up when the T came i was going to the river so should have bet bigger. Guess it's just one of those moments where you just make a mistake for no reason. But anyway it's just a general thing i'm wondering - How do you work out the odds etc. At the moment i'm playing these situations off rough guess-timates and feel, which although is working (for now) i want to have a solid well rounded game and the maths geniuses on here i hope can help ... :) (He called me a fkn donk idiot afterwards, i didn't blame him as i felt a bit sheepish trying to back myself up with terrible maths knowledge)

Re: Need to sort out my maths ... I think it was costing you $48 to win $142 - so the odds that you were being offered were nearly 3-1. Odds to hit your straight with one card to come were about 16% (over 5-1). I presume you have no fears at all about the flush (which reduce your odds of hitting to about 12% if you were to exclude both hearts). How confident were you that your overcards were good? If you were to count them as about half an out each then thats another 3 outs (6 cards) giving you about another 6%. 18% overall is about greater than 4-1 So you were offered about 3-1 about a 4-1 shot - a bad bet IMO I would totally disagree with your assertion that you want to bet bigger earlier in order to give yourself the right odds to call. I much prefer the idea of betting little enough that you can get away from the hand if you dont have the right odds. You've raised on every street - at some stage I think you need to check a street to exercise some pot control - you've set yourself up to play for a massive pot (entire stacks) with a draw....you've lost all implied odds - the chance of geting paid off, if you hit....

This thread has more posts. To see them, you'll need to sign up or sign in.