Musselburgh 30/5/08

I don't know why the Racing Post were bleating on about forecast rain for this meeting - the BBC seem to think its gonna be sunny all weekend. Ah well, only time will tell. Poor card in my opinion, not enough runners at the meeting. May be off though so gone through the card just incase. 6.50 Excellent Show was only beaten by 0.75 lengths on her debut at Ripon recently. Haigh Hall, the winner that day, contested a listed race at Beverley and wasn't disgraced in 5th, so Excellent Show could be up to taking this class 5 race. I also like this one as it is one of Bryan Smarts and his record with 2 yo's is very well documented. Acclaben is a bit on an unknown making his debut, but he is by Acclamation - who won multiple pattern races over sprint distances on firm ground and so he makes some appeal on breeding. 7.20 Always a Rock won LTO at Wolverhampton and has been raced solely on the poltrack during his 3 race career. His other two runs have seen him finish 2nd and 3rd, but only beaten narrowly on each occasion. He's won over the trip, trainer is in form, and he has a good pedigree (by Rock of Gibraltar). 7.50 Angelofthenorth won over course and distance LTO, beating Funfare Wane and Alfie Lee. However, she doesn't look very consistent and if she's short in price then i'll look elsewhere. Glenluji was a CD winner too in 2007, but there are concerns over its fitness, being off the track for 302 days. 8.20 Mr Crystal has been in good form over this trip of late. I've backed this one over the jumps at Wetherby but he's still a good flat horse, as a recent win at Newcastle and a close second at Beverley, latest, prove. He'll see out the trip and will go on the ground. 8.50 Sam's Secret has been knocking on the door of late and was only beaten by 0.88 lengths when last seen at Doncaster. She's running off the same mark again here and was winning course form over this trip from last year. Firm ground will no no problem so I'll probably forecast this one with the fav, Royal Dignitary, who has been in great form of late and is unbeaten over CD after 3 runs. 9.20 Annibale Caro carries a double penalty here so if it is going to be around odds on I'm leaving that be. Hugs Destiny may be able to reverse placings bearing in mind it was only 2 l off the winner that day when 8lbs better off. Today he's 15 lb better off and likely to be a much bigger price that Annibale Caro. Lochiel too could be another alternative depending on the price. He drops in grade here after a narrow defeat over CD 11 days ago. He's up 4 lbs but he handles the ground. :hope

This thread has more posts. To see them, you'll need to sign up or sign in.