Playing AK out of position.............

effigy

This leads on from from my hand last night, and it is something that I have trouble playing. Last night was just an instance when I find myself in a big pot with AK fairly early in a SNG. So I'm interested to see how everyone plays AK out of position. I have a tendancy to re-raise with AK from the blinds but the results vary wildly. Late in a game I'm more than happy to get my chips in with AK, but in the early stages I'm often in 2 minds what to do facing a raise. My general rule is 50% call, 50% raise. Although I'm generally throwing it away to a raise then a reraise before the action gets to me. Any help appreciated as it seems that playing big aces out of position does seem to be a weak point in my game.

Re: Playing AK out of position............. I'm the worst player in the world in the blinds and have just looked at my poker tracker stats to see how much A/k has cost me there. In 34 hands I am down $89.00 or 1.31 bb per hand. It only ever wins a small pot but can very easily lose a big pot. If your betting your top pair into a set or two pair it is very hard to lay down and indeed not to end up pot committed with. My guess is call and bet if you hit and if called hope to check it down there after. If there is action before you it might be a positve play to stick the lot in and hope for all folds or a call that you wont be far behind to.