Grand Prix Snooker - First Ranking Tourny

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Grand Prix Snooker - First Ranking Tourny Sunday 1pm Start 5pts Win Simon Bedford @ 5.00 Stan James This is more of a bet against Ebdon than anything. He has consistently gone out in the early rounds of smaller tournys, for 2 years. He only seems to come alive after Xmas, as he doesn't like the best of 9 tournys. Bedford is no mug, and at 5.00, he's more than worth a shot, considering the facts.

Re: Grand Prix Snooker - First Ranking Tourny Tuesday Matches 1pm 10pts Win Andy Hicks v Neil Robertson @ 1.73 Stan James Andy Hicks is absolutely flying. Having played extremely well in the qualifiers in Prestatyn, he has carried that on to where it matters, the main tournament venue. He hammered Matthew Stevens 5-1 in the previous round, with Stevens hardly getting a chance. Hicks had 2 centuries in that match, whereas Robertson struggled in his. Robertson time will come, but I don't give him much chance in this match. Correct price for Hicks imo ? 1.44. :ok

-----------------------

3pm 5pts Win Dominic Dale v Graeme Dott @ 2.50 ToteSport Dale doesn't deserve to be as big as 2.50 here, I would personally make this a toss up, hence 1.90 for each player. Dale played well in his first round, with a 108 and an 89, so clearly hitting the ball well. They are similar players, and I must get involved at 2.50.

-----------------------

7.45pm 5pts Win James Wattana v Ken Doherty @ 3.25 BetDirect This is a big price, for a player that has won 2 tournaments in Thailand already this season, as well as having his best season for about 10 years last season. He seems to have been revitalised, ever since a couple of asian stars have hit the scene. Almost like, "I'm not letting you take over as Asian No.1" and responded to it. Doherty is a class player, but tremendously inconsistent. He looked very rusty and twitchy in his first match, and at 3.25, I simply have to back Wattana.

Guest Mystery Man

Grand Prix Have to agree with you with regards Andy Hicks a definate bet for me, the only slight worry you would have is Hicks just having a bit of a mental letdown after playing so well v Stevens but considering Hicks performances here + the W.Champs you have to take even if Robertson is no mug. On their first round performance i wouldn't argue that Wattana has a fair chance even though it is a match i am staying well clear. One interesting stat between the 2 is they have played against each other 12 times with Wattana winning the first meeting donkey years ago but Doherty has won the last 11. Now head to head is only one of the things you have to weigh in for a bet but Doherty has been a nemisis for Wattana. Jimmy White could be worth taking on,he is suffering with his back + scrapped past P.Wallace indeed he even said it wouldn't have bothered him if he had lost so he could have had some treatment . Jimmy plays Ian McCulloch the local man that has played some good stuff in recent times though he struggled past Rod Lawler in a bit of a Marathon in the first round. McCulloch definately has the game to see of Jimmy though i would have liked more than 6/5, will give myself a bit more thinking time on that one.

Grand Prix Snooker - First Ranking Tourny I wouldn't personally read too much into Doherty's head to head as Wattana played appalling for a number of years, but now he is playing some of his best snooker again and at 3.25 is big value for me. :) Agree with Jimmy based on the facts, but like you've already said, 2.20 is about right and would have liked bigger. :(

Guest Carlisle Blue

Hawkins We certainly seem to be getting our money's worth with Barry. It's been 3-3 for what seems like ages. Come on Barry:spank

Re: Hawkins Murphy lost 5-2 in a bizarre match where Maguire was docked a frame for not having any chalk! :lol Unfortunately, knowing the snooker mentality as I do, this will have probably had a positive effect on Maguire and negative on Murphy. :( Rory Mcleod lost 5-2, and he will be very disappointed with that result. However, Hawkins won 5-4 in a marathon, having been 3-1 down. These 5-4's are not doing my "ticker" any good at all. :lol Another good thing is that Williams has been knocked out. The bottom half is absolutely wide open now, a perfect opportunity for both Hawkins/Gray to get to the final. Hendry is the only seed in that half I would particulary worry about, but then again, he's not what he was. It's certainly opened up anyway. ;)

Re: Grand Prix Snooker - First Ranking Tourny Current P/L: -8.75pts Still showing a loss at present, but betting odds against prices in snooker is the way to go long term. :) Outrights Bets still in after 1st round: David Gray 176.00 Ali Carter (playing now) 126.00 Barry Hawkins 1501.00 Mark Selby (playing now) 1001.00

Guest Carlisle Blue

Advice Paul quick word of advice if you are around. I have an 8 selection acca following some of your selections Wattana, Hawkins etc running onto Selby and Higgins running into 4 figures for a £20 stake. Do I have anything to worry about with Higgins? Should I only cover Small?

Grand Prix Snooker - First Ranking Tourny Sorry CB, didn't see your post in time. I did back Walden against Higgins earlier in this thread, because Higgy is so inconsistent of late. Walden leads 3-2 at the moment, but this will be the toughest part of the match for him - crossing the line. Selby is 3-2 down, that will probably go all the way. Joe Jogia 4-0 up :eek ,although not a total surprise as they are both potters. I doubt very much Jogia can beat Ebdon though.

Re: Grand Prix Snooker - First Ranking Tourny Walden wins 5-3 and Selby wins 5-4. :D Carter (Outright Bet) also won 5-4. :b Current P/L: +3.75pts Outrights Bets still in after 1st round: David Gray 176.00 Ali Carter 126.00 Barry Hawkins 1501.00 Mark Selby 1001.00 Bottom half of the draw is absolutely anyone's now. Whoever has the heart, Hawkins & Gray will never have an easier draw than that, although no draw is easy I might add. ;) A Selby v Hawkins final would be rather tasty! :lol I can dream can't I ?:unsure

Guest Mystery Man

R.Post Has to make you laugh with regards to the Racing Post, they have tipped up both Hicks + Watanna but at prices that have gone at least 24 hours ago, i know they would have the article ready for publishing but i am sure it wouldn't have been 24 hrs ago. Have backed Joe Swail on the handicap v Ronnie, some may say that aint very sensible in Ronnie's current mood but Swail is a talented yet very inconsistent player that usually has good battles with Ronnie. Indeed i have heard him before say he enjoys playing him + his record aint that bad most matches being fairly close with Swail winning 4 out of 10. Swail was in fairly good fettle at last years W.C + heard Michael Judge say yesterday that Swail won a private competetion between the Irish pro's recently. The handicap is on the spreads at -3 basically winning from a 5-2 Ronnie win though 5-3 onwards is the main win. I sold at 11.5 on a 25/10/0 hcp.

Grand Prix Snooker - First Ranking Tourny Bloody hell, are RP copying my tips ?:) To be fair, Adrian Humphries is one of the more clued up tipsters at the RP, more so on snooker. I can't bring myself to back Swail, mainly because he struggles to get going quickly in these shorter matches, but I completely agree he is more than capable of taking Ronnie out. The question you have to ask is, why would anyone back Ronnie anyway ? Always a ridiculous price and you never know if he's gonna throw a wobbly. :(

Re: Grand Prix Snooker - First Ranking Tourny 3pm 5pts Win Carter v Hunter @ 3.25 Blue Square Carter is a big price here. Sure, Hunter is the correct favourite, but he did nothing in his previous match, to suggest he should be 1.33! Far from it in fact. Carter has 2 or 3 wins over Hendry, and is pushing for a top 16 place. These two are probably as similar as you could get in their style of play, which is very attacking. Carter scores as heavy as Hunter can, and 3.25 is a ridiculous price. I would price this at 2.50.

Guest Carlisle Blue

Hicks I did have a bit on Walden but not enough to cover the possible return. More worried about Hicks at the moment. Could do with him coming in! :spank

Guest andybud

Grand Prix Snooker - First Ranking Tourny Hicks now looks like 0-4 ... he is playing like crap ... dont think he has made any decent sized breaks :spank