Christmas Number One 2004

Well the battle's already underway and it's never to early to try and steal a march on the bookies or those in the know. Those of us who took The Darkness at 66/1 with Coral Eurobet back in September/October 2003 know damn well the pain of succumbing to another well-planned sting as some people were supporting Gary Jules at equally outrageous odds. The difference? Their plan actually went off as planned. ....beaten on the final Saturday that mattered as Gary Jules outsold The Darkness by a staggering 20,000 singles (pundits suggest his performance on Friday Night with Jonathan Ross sealed the deal as viewers rushed out the next day to get a copy. Me? I suggest a fail-safe approach by those who had already bet on Gary Jules actually went out and bought some singles just to make ever so sure the gamble was landed). Who we got at this stage that are going to be releasing Christmas singles? * The X Factor winner * Joss Stone and Mick Jagger * Girls Aloud The latest reality show winner will have a huge amount of publicity built up for them from the past two weeks up until 11th December where the winner will release a single in time for Christmas. William Hill had it at 7/1 this morning and now it's down to 9/2. No idea what the single will be like though. Joss Stone and Mick Jagger are planning to release a cover version of Mud's Lonely This Christmas. William Hill say it's an 8/1 shot (Skybet have 'Joss Stone' at 125/1). Girls Aloud are releasing a cover version of Frankie Goes To Hollywood's The Power of Love. Anything from 16/1 to 33/1 is available depending who you look at. Me? I'm looking to hedge but I've put £100 on the winner of The X Factor over at Bet Direct at odds of 6/1. The last thing I want is a Gary Jules to stop the manufactured pop act from getting the Christmas number one single. Only indifference, a really awful single or indeed a Gary Jules can probably stop it at this early stage. Any facts, other contenders we should know about or opinions, fellas? Winner will be announced on Sunday 19th December.

This thread has more posts. To see them, you'll need to sign up or sign in.