Nad Al Sheba 8/2/08

A few old favourites running in the card. Two for me. 3.35 Shmookh Nice winner for me at Newmarket last year when travelled very nicely before going on. That was over 6f and ran another solid race after that over 7f at Goodwood when it did not quite see out the 7f arguably behind the useful and equally progressive Docofthebay. So I think 6f is about ideal, may grow into 7f more in time, certainly at York earlier that year it needed all of 7f but as I say previous runs since then suggest shorter is perhaps prefered. Lto for Dunlop a touch disappointing in a listed race it must be said but I think hold up tactics were not the best thing to do imo and was a possible explaination along with class aspect. Hills who has done well in the past with this one, on board today for new trainer and definite chance. 5.20 Colorado Rapid RPF 7/1 0.5 pts e.w. Again lots of old favourites such as Pride of Nation who would be dangerous but for the ground probably being too quick but this one looks progressive enough to go close. Not Godolphin first choice on bookings but McEvoy more than capable. Progressive last year for Johnston, even given an entry in St James Palace which suggests a lot was thought of this one. On its last run in this country it stayed on strongly into second when not getting the clearest of runs in a good handicap over 1m. Dirt run lto can be forgiven and it may have been needed anyway. May want further possibly now and that is a slight concern but looking at the way I expect the race to be run, there should be a strong pace that this one should be able sit on and pick off late on for place claims at least.

Re: Nad Al Sheba 8/2/08 Going with Woody on this one, good luck mate, hope it wins for both of us: Colorado Rapid 5.20 Nad Al Sheba (EW) Another one I followed last year as it seemed very progressive when with Mark Johnstone and I believed it would go on to win in Group company. It's also another that really impressed me at Pontefract, it quickened in a matter of strides that day to win its race and I backed it ante post for the St James Palace Stakes but it never got to run in that race. It has form on good ground and the 1m trip is ideal. Kerrin McEvoy is on board and he is a very decent jockey that should have this in a good position turning for home, he won a decent race last night on a 22-1 horse. Its formline reads 2-1-3-1-11-2-6 but the 11 can be forgiven as it took a few bumps that day and lost all momentum. The 6 was on dirt and it never challenged so the return to turf on a good surface is a plus for a horse that has a turn of foot and it can beat its stablemate Third Set, who was 2nd to Lucky Find and had that form boosted yesterday but that was on dirt. Third set also has winning turf form but is only 5-2.

This thread has more posts. To see them, you'll need to sign up or sign in.