AFL Football - Pre Season Discussion

Re: AFL Football - Pre Season Discussion I'll start off by saying it looks like the competition will be more even again. My predictions, if you will, are; Improve: Brisbane, Richmond, St Kilda Decline: Sydney (can only see them worsen, havn't blooded enough youngsters), West Coast (unfortunately, but should still make the 8)

• 4 weeks later...

Re: AFL Football - Pre Season Discussion I also think it shapes as a even comp. Could make a case for every team as ligit chance for eight IMO. Geelong Collingwood St Kilda Hawthorn West Coast Port Kangaroos Sydney Fremantle Brisbane Adelaide W Bulldogs Richmond Carlton Essendon Melbourne Collingwood - every possible favourtism in the draw, again! We'll get the same spin doctor stuff but this is without doubt a conspiracy. Their fans no doubt wholly finance the wrestling industry and I guess they fill AFL stadiums also. Kangaroos - always underrated for regular season. Not convinced they have the coach to take them to a flag but IMO have a really strong squad - a lot of players nicely primed to take the next step. Of course, opposite to Collingwood situation, they yet again get a tough draw but I expect will be good enough to make it. The 3.00 I got seems gone but 2.75 is still a great price IMO. Good chance an all Vic GF, maybe even St Kilda v Collingwood - Saints by a point and Barry Breen as well as Gehrig to make a come back this season. :tongue2 I've got Essendon down low but the inclusion of Hird should see them having some sort of say.

Re: AFL Football - Pre Season Discussion Just not seeing (thankfully...ewwww!!) the Collingwood, or Hawthorn love. I think the bottom 5 is set...don't think Brisbane can make the 8, but Freo and Crows have to be every chance. My Super League team is set in stone and I fully expect to win the $50k. Amazingly good team. Sydney (can only see them worsen, havn't blooded enough youngsters), ...get on young Bird to win the Rising Star ;)

Re: AFL Football - Pre Season Discussion Has played all four of their pre season games. Quite highly ranked at 23.00 (just couple books up) and apart from the big neon 14 sign , any other reasoning to offer on him Taza? I might be interested in tailing.

Re: AFL Football - Pre Season Discussion I might be interested in a Hird/Bird double and just checked with my bookie and he said I can name my own price and have as much as I want on it, which I think is a pretty good deal and service. :clap BTW, Taza you might have noticed the Round-2 Friday night game is Bris v Coll. So with any luck Seven will beam live into Melb, but if they do decide to keep it on delay (I suspect the boring prciks might) I wouldn't worry. Sir knowsalot is always there to help. I doubt you'll even need to ask :notworthy. We're good like that, here in Vic. :ok

Re: AFL Football - Pre Season Discussion Living on the Western Island of New Zealand allows me to watch Friday Night games live... ...Kinda guessing the rest is referring to Robert Walls somehow, but I'm a bit lost with it all, tbh! :D Bird...obviously haven't seen him in the flesh...but reading alot about him. Ball magnet...literally!* Just got stacks of it in local leagues and under 18 carnival. Roos a big fan already, will play round 1, and likely to hold his spot with no major names to come back into the Swans midfield.

Hawkins, Tom (Gee)6.00
Leuenberger, Matthew (Bris)7.00
Kreuzer, Matthew (Car)10.00
Petterd, Ricky (Melb)10.00
Everitt, Andrejs (Dogs)11.00
Dempsey, Courtenay (Ess)13.00
Hansen, Lachlan (Roos)14.00
Palmer, Rhys (Frem)15.00
Cotchin, Trent (Rich)16.00
Morton, Cale (Melb)16.00
Rioli, Cyril (Haw)16.00
Tippett, Kurt (Adel)20.00
Gray, Robert (Port)21.00
Reid, Ben (Coll)21.00
Hawkins won't play every game...next 3 will struggle in bad teams...Everitt out for 6 weeks. Dempsey, Hanson won't play a lot of games. Palmer a chance...never even heard of the Richmond guy! Morton and Tippett chances... ...Rioli won't play enough games. Gray and Ben Reid no chance. Leaves our man Bird. B-B-B-Bird's the word. H-H-H.... * Trying for a journolist scholarship.

Re: AFL Football - Pre Season Discussion He did show something in the Hawthorn game and was named in their best but did kick a goal, so obviously will have to get more accurate in that area. Taza, you must be the only one that doesn't know your in town for the Round-2 match at the MCG! ... and have won a prize to sit next to Robert Walls for the game. :cow Guy at pool last night gave me quiz question; Hawthorn's 1983 Premierships side (most of you turkey's were probably in nappies). Eight players have gone on to coach senior AFL. I quickly got six, and thought of one blatantly obvious one today but am stuck on the last. I've got Buccenara as a no, but something keeps nagging me that he had brief coaching stint at West Coast or somewhere but I still think he's a no. Can anyone get the eight IN YOUR OWN HEAD WITHOUT GOOGLE OR THE INTERNET OR PUBLICATIONS (I know your all brilliant already)?

Re: AFL Football - Pre Season Discussion Eade (despite having retired 3 years ago) That dud, who was with the umpires, now on radio. Coached Hawthorn. Wallace (gives the impression of being a coach at least) Ayres (incase you thought he was the first dud) Matthews. That's me out...I think Buccana might be a yes tho too... I was er, 8 at the time...no, 7 even!...and off the top of my head the side would have been... Langford, Mew, Kennedy That Dud (curly hair, coached Eagles as well I think!), _____ , Wallace Ayres, Eade, Dippa ____ , Dermott, _____ Bucca, Knights , Matthews Dear, Collins, ____ ?? Probably way off! EDIT: Knights would have still been at FF I guess, and although I can't specifically remember him coaching I'm going to throw him in. I do seem to recall seeing his mug on tv more often than a non-coach would have! (Probably Richmond... But likely Hawks) Was James Hird on the bench?

Re: AFL Football - Pre Season Discussion 2 more blokes from the team I can remember... Morris...the blonde headed guy. Don't think he coached tho. Was CEO of Tatts, or specifically TipStar first year. I met him. I drank his champagne! ...and the guy who did League Teams first year (or 2) with Grybas and John Barnes...can't think of his name, but I'd be amazed if he coached, given he was 3 planks! Doesn't leave many...

Re: AFL Football - Pre Season Discussion How could you forget that brilliant West Australian goal sneak, Ken Judge. He went to the the Bears after the Hawks were done with him. Coached the Hawks who were on the rise until the Eagles tripled his pay packet to coach them. Not a great move in hindsight going down as the Eagles worst performed coach. Buckenara coached unsuccessfully at the Swans and was replaced by Barassi.

Re: AFL Football - Pre Season Discussion Not sure whether Taza was referring to Judge as the dud, but i think he's referring to another dud?? Judge is the one most people have trouble with apparently. Yeah, didn't run a mental match for Buccenara-Swans. Think he only lasted a year two?

1. Eade
  2. Wallace
  3. Ayres
  4. Mathews
  5. Knights (Brisbane)
  6. Judge
  7. Buckenara
  8. A Dudd
  9. Hird

A year early for Langford. O'Halloran was FB, Mew CHB. Paton and Loveridge were there, Colin Robertson won the Norm Smith for punching Tim Watson in the mouth (we need him back now). Dermott played on a flank and had red hair. Knights CHF, not sure who they used as FF, althogh i think Mathews played in the goal mouth.

Re: AFL Football - Pre Season Discussion Wish they'd allow top 3 betting in the Rising Star... ...just noticed Houli is 23.00 as well!! Will start in the middle (or wing at least) no reason why he won't play all the games. Bird and the Basher each way at >20's would be a fantastic bet, imho...

Re: AFL Football - Pre Season Discussion

Wish they'd allow top 3 betting in the Rising Star... ...just noticed Houli is 23.00 as well!! Will start in the middle (or wing at least) no reason why he won't play all the games. Bird and the Basher each way at >20's would be a fantastic bet, imho...
From a Hawks point of view. Cyril Rioli will play 20 games IMO. He'll take Dixon's spot. He's the first real crumber the Hawks have had since Aron Lord. Also, Travis Tuck will play most games this year now that Muston is out with his knee. But yeah, you would think that Houli with his TOG and midfield role will catch the judges eyes.

Re: AFL Football - Pre Season Discussion Cyril's already cemented himself a spot on my DT/SC forward line ;) Would have thought Tuck would struggle to keep a spot with the 3 big guns coming back...a lot of people seem to be talking up Ellis... (Not sure why!) But nice one, thanks Henry Jr.

Re: AFL Football - Pre Season Discussion For what it's worth, here is my ladder prediction. 1.Geelong - Wont be as dominant as last year, but it's hard seeing them drop more than 6 games. Mooney needs to stay injury free and is the key for more success. 2.Adelaide - Should get off to a flyer, with a sweet draw early on. Their poor home form last year cost them dearly, and are always going to win 4 or 5 on the road. 3.St.Kilda - Top class midfield and forward line. Wont win a flag unless Lyon decides to remove the defensive mindset. Their injury curse could also be a hinderance. 4.Collingwood - They'll keep introducing their youth which means they probably wont improve that much. They got the wobbles towards the end of last year and needed Buckley and Clement back in the team to right the ship. They'll be missed enormously, but the Pies should stay in the top 4. 5.Sydney - 2008 will be the last hurrah for the Swans. They must make every post a winner now because the bulk of their squad are on their last legs. Losing Malceski has done them no favours. Still a good enough squad to cause any team headaches. 6.Hawthorn - I expect a slow start for them this season with players being suspended and some having a poor preparation. Showed last year they can match it with any team and can finish a game with 15 minutes of brilliance. They'll be doing their best work towards the end of the season. 7.Kangaroos - Just can't leave them out of the eight. Not brilliant anywhere on the ground, but just seem to keep getting the job done. they wont sneak under the radar this year. Harvey needs to have another big year. 8.West Coast - I don't see all the doom and gloom that everyone sees with Cousins and Judd gone. Will be more vulnerable especially away from home, but still have enough class to make the eight. Might need a year or so to re-establish their midfield to were it was. 9.Port Adelaide - Everything fell into place last year and got lucky in the last 7 weeks to make the Grand Final. A heavy reliance on the Cornes and Burgoynes to keep them in games and I'm not a fan of their defence. Will concede some big scores away from home. 10.Fremantle - Fall into the same category as St.Kilda last year. A new coach trying to get a new message across, with it taking half a season for it to sink in. If they lose Pavlich, they're gone. 11.Brisbane - Should get off to a good start early in the season, but hit the wall in the middle and struggle from there on. Bradshaw back should take some pressure of Brown, but he might be needed more to stiffen the defence. 12.Western Bulldogs - Need to rebuild their reputation after an horrific second half of last year. I think more teams play their style of football from 2006 better than they do now. Griffin is the key to the whole side. He must fire for the Dogs to improve. Class talls still a problem. 13.Essendon - Have a good spine, but have too many players that are too similar. The injection of speed might help lift them up the table, but Stanton needs all the help he can get. Have a tough fixture in the first half of the season. 14.Melbourne - Don't have enough class players to cause damage to the top teams, but still should be able to win 8 or 9 games. Need to get games into the kids as quickly as possible, because I don't think they'll be down for too long. 15.Richmond - Wallace decreed when he walked into Punt Road that he wanted the Tigers to kick 16 goals a game. Just throw caution to wind and you might be surprised what can be achieved. Lost to alot of good teams narrowly last year and I expect them to win 7 or 8 games, by being adventurous. 16.Carlton - Still some pain to endure for the Blues. I don't see them protecting Judd like the Eagles did and he's going to carry a heavy burden all season. Staring four consecutive years of priority picks in the face. I already know I'll be wiping egg of my face after round 22, but you have to put your proverbials on the chopping block at some stage, and I'll cop it on the chin if this whole prediction thing goes pear shaped. Bring it on!

Re: AFL Football - Pre Season Discussion Don't worry bc, nothing wrong with having egg on your proverbials...it's when you have proverbials on your chin that you should start to worry! Can't say I disagree too much at all. I think the bottom 5 are set...everyone else a decent chance...in fact, can't say I disagree at all, at all. I see Hawks are -19.5 early...tough to tell which way it will go. Seen some positive previews about Melbourne!!...and maybe everyone will remember some big guns are out on Wed/Thursday/Friday when the teams are released. Might hold on. Swans +16.5 Lasseters...want 17.5, should get one sometime I guess.