** April Poker League Result : 1st Like2Fish, 2nd McG, 3rd andybell666 **

Premier League Darts Week 1 - 31/01/08

Thursday 31 January 2008Player 1 Tie Player 2 bookmakers margin on the event. However, they do not take account of commissions that may be charged.">BPP
Barneveld v Mardle (19:00GMT) 33/1005/19/2110% Details »
Hide « Barneveld v Mardle
Lewis v Jenkins (19:00GMT) 61/504/161/50110% Details »
Hide « Lewis v Jenkins
Manley v Part (19:00GMT) 37/2019/43/4110% Details »
Hide « Manley v Part
Taylor v Wade (19:30GMT) 3/55/123/10109% Details »
Hide « Taylor v Wade
I know it's a bit early but I can't let this price go. Taylor v Wade Wade to win. 10 pts 23/10 PartyBets Taylor as we know has never lost in this tournament and he'll have that knowledge and the crowd behind him.There will be lots of nerves about and with Taylor's game not in A1 condition then he could be up against it.Taylor's side-stepped the 3 tournaments that were before this match and with Taylor you don't know how that's going to pan out.Fresh or out of match practice? Wade making his debut in the PL has nothing to fear as he has been playing well in 2 out of the 3 tournaments played this year.Semi-finalist in the Blue Square N/E Open and winning Sundays Players Champ in Gibraltar. He's admitted he prefers playing Leg/Matchplay games rather than those that are in Sets,and with this tournament he should be well suited to it. 23/10 is a silly price and if the bookie is taking into account Taylor's dominance in this event then with a player like Wade you've got a chance to take the stubborn bookie for a bit of money.

Re: Premier League Darts 31/01/08 Yesterday's Bettingzone Market News: 1455: Totesport is offering 20/1 that Phil Taylor can claim his fourth consecutive Premier League title while keeping his unbeaten record in the competition intact. Taylor, who is the 2/1 favourite, has not lost in an incredible 44 matches since the Premier League started three years ago. The firm is also betting on who will take his unbeaten record and make James Wade, his first week opponent, the 7/4 favourite. Paul Petrie, totesport spokesman, said: "Phil Taylor has been the undisputed king of the Premier League and although we expect him to win again, it is unlikely to be with an unblemished record." ============ Hmmm. Phil's probably due a loss in the Premier League but ugh, the wait for the bet to continue/not lose would kill me as much as anything.

Re: Premier League Darts Week 1 - 31/01/08 More Bettingzone Market News from yesterday: 1400: Premier League Darts gets under way on Thursday in Glasgow and Sky Bet have a wide range of special markets on the tournament. It's 12/1 for Phil Taylor not to be beaten. ‘The Power’ has proven to be invincible in the Premier League, having won the competition since it started in 2005, with a record of played 44, won 39, drawn five. James Wade makes his Premier League debut and the World Grand Prix champion is 7/2 third favourite to win. Taylor and Wade go head-to-head on Thursday and Sky Bet give Wade a three-leg start in the handicap market (+3 Wade 8/11). Wade is Sky Bet’s 6/4 favourite to be the first player to beat Taylor in the league, with Raymond van Barneveld 7/2 second favourite to be first to end Taylor’s perfect record. Sky Bet are also offering odds on how many wins each of the eight players will achieve and how many 180s they will score during the competition (excluding play-offs). Taylor is 8/11 to win ten or more games, after winning eleven in 2007 and 9/4 to score between 41 and 46 180s, having scored 43 last year. ============= The rest of the odds from Sky Bet: pdc08-sb-specials.jpg

Re: Premier League Darts Week 1 - 31/01/08 Cant wait for this, right back into my darts lately. Been getting some tips from a site www.ontheoche.co.uk which have been good so far. This is their write up for Thursday, sounds good to me but don't shoot the messenger! :) :hope

PDC Whyte & Mackay Premier League Darts 2008 - Week 1

So, the Premier League begins again this Thursday. John Part and Wayne Mardle make their returns after missing out last year, while James Wade makes his Premier League debut. Dropping out this year are Dennis Priestley, Roland Scholten and Colin Lloyd. Just for clarification to those not familiar with the format, each match is best of 14 legs with a 7-7 draw possible. The first 4 in the league at the end of the season will take part in the playoffs with the winner being crowned in the Grand Final. Now, onto Thursday nights games. I usually have 2 or 3 bets each week, but for this 1st week I think it is best to take mainly a watching brief. Match 1 - Raymond Barneveld v Wayne Mardle An interesting match to kick off with, from a viewing perspective if not a betting one. It will be the first time Barney has played a competitive match since his exit from the World Championships and will be interesting to see how he fares. I don't think Barney is the biggest fan of the Premier League. He has made it clear that he is not pleased with the amount of travelling he has to do this year (of which the Premier League makes up the most) and he is not overly enamoured with the louder, more rowdy crowds that the Premier League brings. He had talked about pulling out of this years event, albeit straight after his WC exit and there was never any inkling it was a serious threat. Barney is a top pro at the end of the day and there was never any danger of him not being here. Is quite hard to evaluate his form at the minute. He had the whole of January off so the last form we have to look at is the World Championships, but even then he wasn't 100% physically. It is true to say that coming into the WC's Barney wasn't at his best and he has been messing about with his darts lately, chopping and changing constantly. This month off though could have done him the world of good as he should have been able to put the hours in without travelling to Gateshead one week, then Gibraltor the next which is quite a draining schedule, especially as Barney would have been coming over from the Netherlands. This match is going to tell us a lot about Raymond and his state of mind. As for Wayne Mardle, since the World Championships (which he is still not properly over) he has suffered early exits in all of his tour events. In the UK Open in Gateshead he went out in the 3rd round to Wes Newton in a close game which came down to missed doubles. Newton did go on to reach the semi's of that tournament so not a disgrace by any means. In Gibraltor, he lost in the 4th round to Alex Roy (who again, went on to have a good weekend) in the Saturday event and in the 3rd round to Mark Walsh in the Sunday tournament. While you can't say he is out of form as all 3 defeats were very close, he is nowhere near his best at the moment and it is hard to see him getting the better of barney on Thursday night Recommended Bet - None - Should be a Barney win if he has prepared well but there is no value in backing him at 1.3-odd so no bet ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Match 2 - Terry Jenkins v Adrian Lewis When the fixtures came out for Week 1, this was the game I did not want to see. The reason being, both players are really out of form at the minute and I was keen to oppose both. Since exiting the World Championships, Lewis has shown a poor attitude to the game. He didn't practice for weeks after the WC and has only re-started in the past few days. The lack of practice has shown in his recent tournaments. In the UK Open in Gateshead he suffered a 4th round exit, then in Gibraltor he had a really disapointing weekend. He went out in the 4th round to John Ferell in the Saturday tournament and then really struggled in the Sunday event. Narrowly avoided defeat to Dylan Duo (3-2) in the 1st round then Mick MacGowan to the same scoreline before losing 3-1 in the 3rd round to Wayne Atwood. Adrian Lewis should be beating these sort of players easily and is really out of sorts right now. Terry Jenkins is in a similar run of form himself at the moment. Was poor for a couple of months before the World Championships, then went out in the 1st round of the WC. Since then has gone out in round 3,4 and 4 albeit to decent opponents in Tony Eccles, Andy Jenkins (who that day was really impressive) and Dennis Ovens who is a match for anyone on the floor. All in all this could go either way so you could say the value is with Terry Jenkins at the bigger price, but both are just so out of form that you cannot be trusting your money on either at the moment. With both players out of form it is going to be a big win for one of these two. A defeat is going to knock what is already low confidence. Recommended Bet - None - Two players bang out of form ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Match 3 - Peter Manley v John Part I'm sure you probably saw this one coming! Once again John has been underated by the odds compilers. 2008 couldn't have started any better for John Part. Firstly being crowned World Champion for the third time in a tournament where he really showed his class and consistancy. After his big win he went back home to Canada missing the UK Open Regional before returning to the circuit in style the first of the Players Championships in Gibraltor and he picked up where he left off picking up another title. In his 6 matches he dropped just 3 sets on his way to the final. In the Sunday tournament he narrowly missed out losing 3-2 to Mervyn King in a classic. I just cannot see Part's form taking a dip, he is not just playing well he is doing it consistantly week in, week out and has been for the last 6 months now. Peter Manley hasn't had a great start to the year with a 4th round exit in the UK Open to Dennis Ovens, which is no disgrace considering the form of The Heat right now, followed by a very disapointing weekend in Gibraltor. Two 2nd round defeats to Lionel Sams (3-0) and Matt Clarke (3-1) is not good enough. I would make Part around 1.5 - 1.6 so the 1.8 available is good value in my book. Recommended Bet - 10pts on John Part to bt Peter Manley @ 1.8 with >Betfair / Skybet / ExtraBet ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Match 4 - Phil Taylor v James Wade This should be a belter! An opening game neither would have wanted really. Taylor will be looking to bounce back after an indifferent World Championships by his standards. There has been a bit of an over-reaction to that tournament in my opinion. It is foolish to say Phil is on his way down and to write him off as some are doing. Of the last 5 tournaments he has entered, he has won 4 and averaged 100+ in a couple of them. His WC wasn't as bad as it appeared either. Michael Van Gerwin in the 1st round will be a match in quarters, semi's and finals in the next few years, Mark Walsh is back to his best now and would have been a tough game for anyone and the same can be said for Alan Tabern next round. Went out to Mardle of course in the end in a game he really should have closed out. It wasn't vintage Taylor by any means but to say he is on a downward spiral is a massive over-reaction. Has also had January off so best to wait and see what he comes back as on Thursday. James Wade, like Taylor, would have expected a better World Championships but he has bounced back well with a semi-final, 4th round and win in his 3 tournaments since. That win was in the Sunday Gibraltor tournament and was very impressive. This competition is a big, big test for him and will show us how good he actually is over the course of the next few months. Recommended Bet - None - Could be anything. One thing to watch out for is if Wade gets a strong lead to maybe oppose him in-running as he does tend to go off the boil a bit when he gets a lead and Taylor is the master of the comeback. ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Selections for 31/01/08 10pts on John Part to bt Peter Manley @ 1.8 with >Betfair / Skybet / ExtraBet

Re: Premier League Darts Week 1 - 31/01/08 3 for me for week 1. Half stakes to normal though. Partly because of the draw and partly because of it being week 1. 5pts T.Jenkins to beat A.Lewis (DNB) 5/4 Skybet I think the bookies have forgotten the overall year that Terry Jenkins had in 2007, not least in this event. Instead they have decided to remember The Bull losing to Kirk Shepherd in the 1st round of the worlds. Even that wasn't that bad a result given Shepherd made the final of that event. Adrian Lewis is a class act but for me, for whatever reason he's never looked settled in the Premier League. He's also never beaten Jenkins on TV and indeed lost both matches to Jenkins last year. Whether it's because Jenkins is slightly slower or not being comfortable I'm not sure because on paper there's nothing between them. Jenkins though will be keen to make a good start and put the worlds behind him and taking the draw out of play because that's a realistic runner, I'm happy to back Jenkins here. 5pts J.Part to beat P.Manley 4/5 Skybet John Part comes into the Premier League as a worthy world champion and whilst I won't be backing him every week due to his lengthy travelling but here he has an ideal chance to get a win under his belt. Let's not beat around the bush, Peter Manley should have played Part in the world final but he bottled it in the semis and it seems to have effected him a bit since then because his results on the circuit haven't been great. Manley plays the exhibition circuit a lot and that could effect him, especially in this and with Part, who has won a players championship event since the world championship looks a real good thing here. 5pts J.Wade to beat P.Taylor (DNB) 6/4 Ladbrokes James Wade is the man of the moment. He's been in superb form for 18 months or so now and having won a players championship event last weekend he'll come here buzzing. Buzzing isn't a word I'd use to describe Phil Taylor's game right now. This is Phil Taylor though. He'll bounce back but the truth of the matter is that Wade is good enough to go toe to toe with Taylor no matter how well Taylor plays. Wade has it all, scores well and is deadly on the doubles. He's said in the past he doesn't like set play so I'll let him have his disappointing world championship if a quarter final is a disappointment. He has won a number of UK regional events which is about this length of match so that won't worry him. If nerves don't get him and there's no reason to suggest they will then he'll give Taylor's unbeaten record in this event a real scare.

Re: Premier League Darts Week 1 - 31/01/08 Will post my selections later but one thing that can sometimes be profitable in this event is backing the correct scorelines even more confidently so than normal. This is because we already know who has the throw for each match so a player throwing first is more likely to win 8-5 than 8-6 (with 1 break, 2 breaks would be 8-3 rather than 8-4). Now it does not always follow as a player can break the throw to win the game and therefore win 8-6 or whatever but I believe a strategy like this can be beneficial and will add it to my bets in the League and see how it goes.

Re: Premier League Darts Week 1 - 31/01/08 Jenkins (DNB) 5/4 10 pts Agree with Kev's earlier bet. Jenkins suffered his first dip for ages with his first round defeat against Shepherd in a match he should have won in the WC and his floor results have not been brilliant either since then but neither have Lewis'. Lewis has it to prove imo in general not to mention in this event where he was awful last year having got a wildcard and yet this event I would have thought have suited him. Jenkins is my prefered choice and DNB considering I am not convinced by his current form either really. Wade 2/1 10 pts Taylor has had a great run in this with 40+ unbeaten games but i think he is a bit more vulnerable these days. He can still play, no doubt about that and he showed that last year in glimpses but he is not in domination like he was before. Wade is a real class act and despite his q/f in the worlds, I believe he arrives in better form into this event after good recent floor play. Taylor has no recent floor play as a guide. Taylor has come close to defeat on the opening night before when Lloyd had a dart to beat him before drawing and Scholten also drew with him in week one last week. Wade may go one step further.

Re: Premier League Darts Week 1 - 31/01/08 So as I explained earlier, this is the correct scoreline system and I will put it in the system thread too. I will have 2 pts per selection and normally based on the player I think will win each game. Think I will do 2 selections per night to start with so one of the three possible winning scorelines is not used. Again will look into seeing if using all three could be profitable. The draws will come into this and mean there will be some games where there will be a loss unless I really feel an draw could be on the cards. Remember player with the throw it is more likely to be (8-1,8-3,8-5) and against the throw (8-2,8-4,8-6.) Barneveld v Mardle 8-3 @ 11-2, 8-5 @ 6/1 Lewis v Jenkins 8-4 @ 10/1, 8-6 @ 6/1 Manley v Part 8-4 @ 7/1 8-6 @ 11/2 Taylor v Wade 8-4 @14/1 8-6 @ 7/1.

Re: Premier League Darts Week 1 - 31/01/08 Looking forward to the start of this. Agree with most of whats been said but going to try and take a few 'safer' bets to start off the league. Taking Wade on the match handicap against Taylor. I think Wade has a big chance against what seems to be a slightly off the boil Taylor but i'm sure i read somewhere that Taylor has been away putting the hours in and is well up for this. Therefore just going to take the +2.5 legs on Wade @ 8/13. The other i'm going to have a dabble on is Part to beat Manley. After his recent performances he must be buzzing and very high in confidence so just think he'll have to much for Manley. Odds of 1.5 will do me. Good luck

Re: Premier League Darts Week 1 - 31/01/08 Yesterday's Bettingzone Market News mirror a few of the views above: 1440: PDC wildcard John Part has been a popular choice with Sky Bet punters ahead of the start of the Whyte & Mackay Premier League tomorrow. The PDC World Darts champion has been backed into 14/1 to win the competition at his second attempt and is into 4/5 from even-money to beat Peter Manley in their opening game tomorrow. Sky Bet's darts compiler, Craig Ibbotson, said: "We're happy to take on Part. Despite being current world champion, the Premier League is a very different format and travelling from Canada every week is bound to take its toll." Sky Bet are offering a wide range of special markets ahead of the start of the tournament. The firm quote 12/1 for defending champion Phil Taylor not to be beaten. 'The Power' has proven to be invincible in the Premier League, having won the competition since it started in 2005, with a record of 44 played, of which he won 39 won and drew 5. James Wade makes his Premier League debut and the World Grand Prix champion is 7/2 third favourite to win. Taylor and Wade go head-to-head on Thursday and Sky Bet give Wade a three leg start in the handicap market (+3 Wade 8/11). Wade is Sky Bet’s 6/4 favourite to be the first player to beat Taylor in the league, with Raymond van Barneveld 7/2 second favourite to be first to mar his perfect record.

Re: Premier League Darts Week 1 - 31/01/08 I love betting on this event but normally do really badly, hoping for a better start this time around:unsure PART @ 1.72 William Hill. This is a really popular pick and the odds are dropping but I'm still willing to give it a go. Part in excellent form as everyone knows winning the World Championships and backing that up winning the Players Championship in Gibraltar. I think I remember him talking during/after the World Championship about how he was going to make a big effort for the Premier League after his disappointing performances last time and I expect him to start with a win. Manley has been struggling for form for a while and looks easy to oppose here. WADE +2.5 legs @ 1.72 William Hill. Hard to know what you're going to get with Taylor these days, after he was awesome in the GSOD he was well fancied for the Worlds but then looked shocking in every match before Mardle took him out. Wade was exceptional last year, especially on TV but was a little disappointing during the Worlds (remember he had cold/flu during the tournament?). Since then he has performed well and I think he's going to start this one pretty hot. It should be close, so really like getting the +2.5 here and think it should come in.

Re: Premier League Darts Week 1 - 31/01/08 the half time/full time market are the ones that stand out for me and bet365 currently have them running, certain players start well and fade and vice versa, could be some good value in backing these. PART FOR INSTANCE IS 3.2 TO BE ahead half time and full time. Wade half time, draw full time, wade half time taylor full time is of interest at 15.0

Re: Premier League Darts Week 1 - 31/01/08

the half time/full time market are the ones that stand out for me and bet365 currently have them running, certain players start well and fade and vice versa, could be some good value in backing these. PART FOR INSTANCE IS 3.2 TO BE ahead half time and full time. Wade half time, draw full time, wade half time taylor full time is of interest at 15.0
Good luck mate. It's hard for anyone to be ahead after 4 legs though which puts me off that bet. I'll certainly be watching with interest :ok

I know it's a bit early but I can't let this price go. Taylor v Wade Wade to win. 10 pts 23/10 PartyBets Taylor as we know has never lost in this tournament and he'll have that knowledge and the crowd behind him.There will be lots of nerves about and with Taylor's game not in A1 condition then he could be up against it.Taylor's side-stepped the 3 tournaments that were before this match and with Taylor you don't know how that's going to pan out.Fresh or out of match practice? Wade making his debut in the PL has nothing to fear as he has been playing well in 2 out of the 3 tournaments played this year.Semi-finalist in the Blue Square N/E Open and winning Sundays Players Champ in Gibraltar. He's admitted he prefers playing Leg/Matchplay games rather than those that are in Sets,and with this tournament he should be well suited to it. 23/10 is a silly price and if the bookie is taking into account Taylor's dominance in this event then with a player like Wade you've got a chance to take the stubborn bookie for a bit of money.
I'll take a healthy +23 but it would have been even more, somehow forgot that this was on last night:wall. Completely got my days screwed up and missed out on 2 handicaps.Note to self: Remember it's a Thursday:eyes

I'll take a healthy +23 but it would have been even more' date=' somehow forgot that this was on last night:wall. Completely got my days screwed up and missed out on 2 handicaps.Note to self: Remember it's a Thursday:eyes[/quote'] Top work once again Mr Sharpey :ok