** April Poker League Result : 1st Like2Fish, 2nd McG, 3rd andybell666 **

Tennis - Hopman Cup (29 Dec 2007 to 4 Jan 2008)

SERBIA 2.1 SportsBet
CZECH REPUBLIC 5 10Bet
FRANCE 6 Bet365
UNITED STATES 6.5 TAB
ARGENTINA 26 RacingOdds
AUSTRALIA 51.4 Pinnacle
INDIA 106 Pinnacle
CHINESE TAIPEI 401 SportsBet
Serbia USA
Jelena Jankovic Novak Djokovic Serena Williams Mardy Fish
Czech Republic France
Lucie Safarova Tomas Berdych Tatiana Golovin Arnaud Clement
Argentina Australia
Gisela Dulko Juan Ignacio Chela Alicia Molik Peter Luczak
India Chinese Taipei
Sania Mirza Rohan Bopanna Su-Wei Hsieh Yen-Hsun Lu
Schedule Such is the nature of this event that India are not an unrealistic possibility. They marginally failed to qualify for last years final, beating the Czech lovebird doubles bunnies along the way, who they meet again in this. Although Bopanna is the lowest ranked man, he'll team with Mirza as the best credentialed doubles pair - 3-0 in last year's event, as evidence. Even the Serb's doubles records suggest they had better win both singles! Importantly, India are possibly the team who take this event the most seriously. The two Serbs, whilst undoubtedly will be hard to beat, are coming off some issues themselves. USA are rather in dissaray, the Czech's are struggling with the heat and the French will also be beatable. Three of the outsiders are value IMO, although I think the rules here just permit one play. I make Argentina 17.00 (26.00 with books - I got 31.00), Australia 30.00 (51.00) and India 40.00 (106.00). Both India (v USA) and Australia (v Czech Republic) shape as near even money chances to win tommorow's opening ties, IMO.

Re: Tennis - Hopman Cup (29 Dec 2007 to 4 Jan 2008) Australia wins the tie at odds of 3.51. Amazingly, Betfair punters were keen to take shortish odds about the Czech's winning the doubles - Safarova has an 0-14 tour record and Berdych isn't hugely better. India lose 2-1 after Mirza hit with cramps when leading 3-1 in the third (always great to have an excuse for the bet).

Re: Tennis - Hopman Cup (29 Dec 2007 to 4 Jan 2008)

Event Jelena Jankovic v Su-Wei Hsieh
Selection Over 16.5 Games
Strength 7/10
Date 30/12/2007
Bookmaker/Price Gamebookers @ 1.70 (Back)
Reasoning Jankovic underprepared after her operation. I doubt she can win 6-2, 6-2 against the competitive Su-Wei Hsieh who is in touch after qualifying for this.

EventJuan Ignacio Chela vs Arnaud Clement
SelectionJuan Ignacio Chela
Strength10/10
Date30/12/2007
Bookmaker/PricePinnacle Sports @ 1.71 (Back)
ReasoningIts actually too early to play favorites so its a good idea to keep the stakes low. The tournament is played indoors but the surface if not too fast which I feel should suit Chela who's the more patient player of them both and he waits to hit winners while Clements wants to see winners in every ball.

Event Serena Williams v Lucie Safarova
Selection Lucie Safarova
Strength 10/10
Date 31/12/2007
Bookmaker/Price Pinnacle @ 5.08 (Back)
Reasoning Williams only arriving 24-hours prior to this match, delayed through illness and also limited preparation from a knee injury. Safarova was here well in advance, preparing and acclimatising from winter to summer, beaten by Molik on a mission, so should be on the rebound for this. Serena’s great self belief may not be enough this time, and I’d expect she won’t be pushing it. Definitely an increased stake bet.

Re: Tennis - Hopman Cup (29 Dec 2007 to 4 Jan 2008) How arsy are the USA!? Lucky to beat India after Mirza cramped when up a break in the last, then the walkover against Czech Republic. India should be virtually through, instead USA look good things for the final :wall (talking through the pocket, of course :D).

Event Jelena Jankovic v Tatiana Golovin
Selection Tatiana Golovin
Strength 7/10
Date 02/01/2008
Bookmaker/Price Bet365 @ 2.62 (Back)
Reasoning Jankovic could just win 6-4, 6-4 over the lowly ranked Su-Wei Hsieh and this is due to her disrupted preparation following surgery. World #13 Golovin shapes to progress much higher up the rankings and should be well focussed for this. If behind, I doubt Jankovic will pull out the same self belief as Williams did the other day. Golovin should really be the favourite IMO.