** April Poker League Result : 1st Like2Fish, 2nd McG, 3rd andybell666 **

World Athletics Champs

Hi, I'm kind of new to betting and so please forgive me if I say anything dumb. I am, however, a huge sports fan and have a good knowledge of many sports. Anyway, I was thinking of placing some bets on the upcoming World athletics champs; I was thinking of betting on the prospective gold medallists for various events with an accumulator style bet. Some questions: In some events, it's pretty obvious who the gold medal favourite is and as long as nothing goes wrong, then that person should win. However, in certain other events, it's far more of a lottery as to who will win gold? So, if I go to a bookies, will it be possible for me to pick and choose which events I want to bet on on, or will I be required to only bet on certain events? Also, what kind of odds would I get were to make an accumulator bet on, let's say, picking the gold medallist for five of the men's events; I'd probably go for the favourites in the chosen events.

Re: World Athletics Champs Hi thesting. The answer to your first question is I'd imagine you can chose whatever combination of events you like for your accumulator so long as your bookie has priced them up. The answer to the second question is that if you mean huge favourites like Jeremy Warriner or Carolina Kluft your accumulator might not even reach evens. However, slight favourites like Tyson Gay or Liu Xang who are about evens to win themselves could get you odds of about 20/1 for 5 selections. There don't seem to be many prices up atm, keep an eye here - http://www.oddschecker.com/other-sports/athletics/world-championships/outrights Hope this helps.

Re: World Athletics Champs Well, yes, I was under the impression that by betting on favourites in an accumulator would yield a good return as the more bets that are placed, the odds would lengthen, but of course, that would be too good to be true wouldn't it? However, like you said though in relation to Tyson Gay, what about combining bets on races where there are overwhelming favourites for certain events along with less overwhelming favourites? From what you've said, the inclusion of the overwhelming favourites would simply decrease the odds. Sorry, I'm new to this, so forgive the newbie questions.

Re: World Athletics Champs http://betcalculator.paddypower.com have a play around with this. it depends on what you yourself consider to be 'good odds'. Jeremy Warriner is currently best priced 1/8, so if we take that price as a guideline for a noverwhelming favourite then a £20 bet on 5 selections at that price would win you £16 (and your stake back). Obviously you might get some athletes at better than 1/8 when the rest of the prices come up, but if that sort of bet sounds ok to you and youre confident in your picks then go for it. You could however just put the £20 on Tyson Gay or Asafa Powell and double your money on just 1 event, it's up to you whichever way you fancy going.