58o on a AK58 board...

Jaded

Going back to my normal (crazy) game after a bad spell trying to play TAG, just had a decent (top 10) finish in the Head Hunter which has boosted my confidence slightly... 1st hand of a £10 tourney on Will Hills, thoughts at each stage in bold Game #5342517664: Hold'em NL (10/20) - 2007/08/08 - 11:00:02 (UK) Table "5" Seat 1 is the button. Seat 1: Jerom2102 (1500 in chips) Seat 2: Oliv28106 (1500 in chips) Seat 3: Johnm0204 (1500 in chips) Seat 4: kvarts (1500 in chips) Seat 5: Grayfoss (1500 in chips) Seat 6: Balldrick (1500 in chips) Seat 7: Jadedj (1500 in chips) Seat 8: Nogudatpo (1500 in chips) Seat 9: No_hand (1500 in chips) Seat 10: Mitu17091 (1500 in chips) Oliv28106: posts small blind 10 Johnm0204: posts big blind 20 ----- HOLE CARDS ----- dealt to Jadedj [8d 5c] kvarts: folds Grayfoss: folds Balldrick: folds Jadedj: raises to 50 Nogudatpo: calls 50 No_hand: folds Mitu17091: folds Jerom2102: calls 50 Oliv28106: folds Johnm0204: calls 30 Mixing it up straight away, the benefits of this style is that I can play anything. (Admittedly, I can't play anything WELL, but still...) ----- FLOP ----- [Kh 5h Ad] Johnm0204: checks Jadedj: bets 140 Nogudatpo: folds Jerom2102: calls 140 Johnm0204: calls 140 The AK is a double edged sword here - on the minus side, I'm almost certainly behind, on the plus side, since I raised from early position, people who haven't played me before - and none of the names look familiar - will be expecting me to be strong. I COULD try checking and hoping to catch a helpful card, but that's unlikely. I considered trying a check raise, but decided it was too likely to run into a big hand, and I'd rather not lose TOO much first hand, so decided to make a continuation bet as a bluff. ----- TURN ----- [Kh 5h Ad][8s] Johnm0204: checks Okay... so, plus side I have two pair. Minus side, if he has AK, I'm all kinds of screwed... what do I do?

Re: 58o on a AK58 board... whats the structure like? I wouldnt automatically assume that just because you had two callers you are up against a massive hand. We all know how important it is to make the most of your big hands early on. On that board and with that pre-flop action, id be looking to fire something out on the turn. You could quite easily be up against a K and a flush draw. What does everyone else think, im a bit of a noob to analysing poker strategy.

Re: 58o on a AK58 board... ok, not an easy one to answer because i dont think i could find my self in such a posision in the first hand But i think i would make a bet of around 300, to keep looking strong, and praying that the board dosnt catch another heart, but instead brings a 5 !! prolly folding to a re-raise. A8 could be classed as a playable hand for some players on hills! iv played on hills and there are muppets who would call all in with 2h 3h hoping to hit a flush with 1 card to come without taking a moment to think is this a HH torni and if so i find it usefull sometimes to check the rating of the player/s it can help make ur mind up! ie higher rating wouldnt limp with AK, lower rating call a raise with A6

Re: 58o on a AK58 board... I think you need to find out where you are sharpish and a bet of around 300/400 will do that. It will induce a re-raise all in if you're beat or it's enough to make everyone fold if which isn't a bad thing. Imo if you check then it's still open for all types of hands to still be out there and thus giving a free card would only reduce your chances of winning. I also think it's very unlikely someone has AK as they would have re-raised pre-flop as the initial raise wasn't too big you'd think they'd want to isolate their opponents. Johnm has the odds to call the flush draw so he could be on it, Jerom doesn't quite have the odds but could be on it too, but it's very unlikely 2 are on the draw so Jerom probably has something like A10 and wants to get to the showdown as cheap as possible. I think if you bet big on turn they'll fold.