Italy - N. Ireland

Guest deancreus

• 2 months later...
Guest johnny

Re: Italy - N. Ireland The price of 1/6 for an Italian win seems good to me. Their league is decided and they are on a high from having 2 teams in the ECL. Add to that the fact that NI are no good at football, and the home win looks more and more appealing.

Guest MattyNeth

Italy I'd just echo caution here. Do Italy need to win (not like their game with Finland a couple of months ago)? The manager will no doubt by trying a few new players out. Whilst the Italians should win, I'll wait for the team news and then may go under

Guest deancreus

Re: Italy

This match will be played in Campobasso; seven months ago this zone was beaten by an earthquake (30 deads, most of them children of an elementary school). Italian federation arranged this match to commemorate them and players have promised maximum effort.
Italy expected- Toldo; Bonera, Ferrari, Cannavaro, Grosso; Ambrosini, Perrotta, Tommasi; Di Natale, Miccoli, Di Vaio. Not great but this is N.Ireland they are playing......

Team News Check out these sites for news : news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/...956340.stm news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/...956700.stm Italy's Squad : Goalkeepers: Christian Abbiati (AC Milan), Francesco Toldo (Inter Milan). Defenders: Alessandro Birindelli (Juventus), Daniele Bonera (Parma), Fabio Cannavaro (Inter), Fabio Grosso (Perugia), Matteo Ferrari (Parma), Nicola Legrottaglie (Chievo), Massimo Oddo (Lazio). Midfielders: Massimo Ambrosini (Milan), Antonio Di Natale (Empoli), Stefano Fiore (Lazio), Carlo Nervo (Bologna), Simone Perrotta (Chievo), Damiano Tommasi (Roma), Cristiano Zanetti (Inter). Forwards: Bernardo Corradi (Lazio), Marco Delvecchio (Roma), Marco Di Vaio (Juventus), Fabrizio Miccoli (Perugia) Can't see past an Italy win here and I'd still expect the Azzuris to beat the 1.5 Asian handicap on offer with relative ease - even with a second-string side and a catenaccio-oriented manager, they should just be too strong for Northern Ireland. :p Nice thing about this site - as a scant consolation if you would consider it so - would be that these blokes would all be fired up for this one as they aim to cement their place in the side when Italy play Finland in the forthcoming Euro 2004 qualifier. ;) I honestly wouldn't bother who starts for N.Ireland - can't see there being much difference even if they had George Best in their ranks given the strength of their squad. :smokin

Guest crowie1969

Re: Team News Have to agree edtkh, While Italy are playing a weakened side its still a strong squad compared to whats on offer for Ireland. Players from Glentoran and Bristol City, with all due respect, will not trouble a team made up of some very good Serie A players. I would fancy Italy in N Ireland with that handicap, fancy them even more strongly at home.

Guest thetwotwins

cuidada! I remember someone mentioning on the correct score threads last year, how Italy tended not to go large against inferior oppo: there is a tempting 1.75 on Bet365 AH (can't remember if they are -2.75 or -1.75)but will Italy score the goals? If Italy knew the kind of things the N Ire fans say about Il Papa, they would be fired up for the game!;)

Guest andybud

Re: cuidada! This is taken from the Italian FA Official website: ============================================== TRAP: "A COMMITMENT TO HONOR WITH ENTHUSIASM AND PROFESSIONALISM" Honor the Italian jersey. This is what Giovanni Trapattoni has ordered the day before the match against North Ireland in Campobasso, the last test for Italy for the decisive European qualifying match against Finland next June 11 in Helsinki. "This is the first time that Italy has come here to play - said the head coach. This means that we have to honor this commitment with seriousness and professionalism in front of a crowd and a region that has suffered a great deal lately. From a technical point of view, I want our players to confirm the progress seen during the last couple of matches against Turkey, Portugal and Switzerland. Before saying whether or not indications will come from the field tomorrow that will then be taken into consideration for the away match in Finland, I have to see the players on the field." Trapattoni then talks about the "big" players who were left behind in light of the Scandinavian match. "I think that the players I left at home, like Buffon, Del Piero and Nesta and the others, will have recharged their batteries, above all from a nervous point of view. I don't think they have to do so from a physical point of view since they all played at a very high level until only a few days ago.", explained Trapattoni who avoids any controversy regarding those not present against Finland for physical problems: "Vieri has started to train again, but he hasn't played for a month and a half, while Inzaghi suffered a sprained thigh muscle confirmed by the medical staff of Milan." The head coach then returns to the match in Campobasso where the Italians will be playing against an opponent that has similarities with the Finish lineup: "North Ireland is a team that features the typical characteristics of a Nordic team. They have players that play on important teams and so they are a serious opponent to face as far as tactics, technique and competitiveness are concerned." The match should be more convincing offensively than defensively for the Italian team, since the Irish have not scored a goal in their last eight matches. For the occasion, Trapattoni has announced an offensive team with Cristiano Zanetti (if he recovers in time from a right ankle injury), Fiore and Perrotta supporting the three-man offense made up of Miccoli-Corradi-Di Vaio. The Lazio players will be up front, while the present and future Juventus players will play right behind, doping to gain a spot on the anti-Finland Italian team. "I am happy to be here again and it's no problem if the coach decides otherwise for the match against Finland", said Miccoli while Di Vaio makes no secret about wanting to gain on spot on the flight to Northern Europe in the match in Campobasso: "I have to play well and gain the consideration of the coach for his future decisions." Oddo, Legrotaglie, Cannavaro and Grosso wlil be on defense supporting Toldo. As far as North Ireland is concerned, in light of its chronic offensive problems, the reference point if the right wing Baird, the protagonist of an excellent match with Southampton in the final of England's Cup lost 1-0 by the Saints against Arsenal. A sold-out crown is expected at the Romagnoli stadium in Campobasso ( 21,800 spectators). The high level of enthusiasm was proven by the warmth shown by local fans during the Monday practice session held by the Italians. A workout that ended with the usual test match won by the team with Miccoli and Di Vaio. Miccoli scored a well-shot goal (DiNatale scored another two), while DiVaio was blocked by the goalpost. But he'll definitely have more chances against North Ireland. ============================================== After reading this I think the Italians shoudl be well up for it and will be fighting for a starting spot against Finland. I think guys like Miccoli and Di Vaio will be really after goals. When you condier the Irish team has guys from Partick Thistle, Hull, Bristol City, Cheltenham Town, Wigan, Leyton Orient, PNE, Wimbledon and Crewe it aint hard to see why they have not scored in 8 games and why even Armenia beat them recently!! For me this shoudl be no contest and should be a comfortable 3/4 goal win for Italy.

Guest thetwotwins

tempting Thanks - very good info - the AH appears a bit more tempting does anyone have a link showing Italy's home scores?

Guest andybud

Re: tempting Italy's home results in friendlies over the past 2 years: ============================================== 12.02.2003 - GENOA () ITALY - PORTUGAL 1:0 (1:0,0:0) Classification:F Friendly > 2003 20.11.2002 - PESCARA (ITA) ITALY - TURKEY 1:1 (1:1,1:1) Classification:F Friendly > 2002 21.08.2002 - TRIESTE (ITA) ITALY - SLOVENIA 0:1 (0:1,0:1) Classification:F Friendly > 2002 17.04.2002 - MILAN (ITA) ITALY - URUGUAY 1:1 (1:1,0:0) Classification:F Friendly > 2002 13.02.2002 - CATANIA (ITA) ITALY - UNITED STATES 1:0 (1:0,0:0) Classification:F Friendly > 2002 5.09.2001 - PIACENZA (ITA) ITALY - MOROCCO 1:0 (1:0,1:0) Classification:F Friendly > 2001 25.04.2001 - PERUGIA (ITA) ITALY - SOUTH AFRICA 1:0 (1:0,0:0) Classification:F Friendly > 2001 28.02.2001 - ROME (ITA) ITALY - ARGENTINA 1:2 (1:2,1:1) Classification:F Friendly > 2001 ============================================== Not exactly teh most convincing record, highest score is 1-0! but I still fancy them to beat Ireland easily. Maybe it is time for a good convincing win! :p

Guest thetwotwins

hmmmm.... Thanks Andy: I suppose you could always have a saver on the 1-0 which will presumably be priced over 10-1. But I tend to agree, N Ire are looking at a beating.

Guest FootballFanatic

Re: Italy - N. Ireland Well guys good luck for tonite. i know i wil be sweating if the I Ti's ain't up after the 1st 10 mins roll.gif

Guest PoppyPower25

Re: weighed in gone heavy meself on the italians - got 1.21 :b for my first betfair bet... was ever so careful placing it as didnt want to place the wrong bet. anyone know of any live updates - even a bit of text commentry - minute by minute? ? ? ? ?

Guest thetwotwins

updates the sportinglife site does pretty reasonable updates bbc norn iron may have text commentary sportinglife.com (I think) bbc.co.uk lool for "where I live" if you've got real player or a similar piece of software, you can easily find a radio station which should carry the game - how is yoiur Italian?:)

Guest FootballFanatic

Re: weighed in The only live updat i know about would be ceefax, teletext maybe the commys for the england match might tell us if there is any goals! 1.21? i am fuming mad.gif lol

Guest Damo

italy gone for Italy double result 50 points at 1.4 with willhill also +2 on italy asian handicap at 2.00 with ladbrokes, also with 50 units

Guest andy99

Re: 1-0 You noticed how on the Gazzetta site they have it as Ireland with the Irish badge instead of the northern irish one. :lol

Guest FootballFanatic

Re: 2-0 thanl god for that i was still worried! PHEW! Next on the big backing guide.....Germany away to scotland wink.gif the scotshave no chance! pimp.gif

Guest thetwotwins

well done just watched the 15 seconds of highlights on BBC and likewise felt "phew"! Never mind, they all count. the 1.7 handicap on bet365 was much more appealing than betfair's 3.0 handicap - for a friendly! thanks for the info everyone Andy particularly. btw, the reason I had so little (80 pts) on the betfair 1-5 was because that was all was in the account thanks ot the other twin messing around with horses! Luckily had enough in the bet365 to have am meaningful punt on the AH.