** April Poker League Result : 1st Like2Fish, 2nd McG, 3rd andybell666 **

Wednesdays internationals

Guest Da Hannanah

Guest Caminante

Denmark..!! Hey Da Hannanah. I'm with you on Denmark, I'm sure we are gonna kill Finland today, just hope they dosn't send in a new team in the second half... :rolleyes Going for it bigtime....

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Big Emile I am convinced that Heskey is not a very good player and he shouldn't play for England. But he suits the Liverpool playing style: Dudek kicks the ball to Heskey and he tries to bring it down close to some of his team-mates :lol hardly attractive and entertaining

Guest kojic2003

Re: Wednesdays internationals

How many times have you seen him play, Kojic?
Many times,DH!We have more Premier League on TV,than our national league.Wrong!We haven't our national league on TV at all. Heskey is excelent player for me.He is very fast,very strong,also he has very solid controll of the ball,...This guy is one of my favourit players.I hope you saw this match:Liverpool - Roma and everything will be clear.And now it's different story why Liver's coach force Baros in starting eleven.That's the reason for Heskey's poor form lately.How many chances Baros blew up?

Internationals My picks for today: Czech U-21 - Egypt U-21 : home win (1.45@fonbet) The Czech side is really very good so I suppose they will cruise past Egypt. Bulgaria - Lithuania : HT/FT home win (1.7@fonbet) Lithuania without several key players (including goalie, two defenders and their best striker). Bulgaria with some changes in defence but otherwise squad is strong. The heat will probably help Bulgaria as well. I fancy Bulgaria to score in the first half and I think that Lithuania will hardly score here. Also agree with Denmark win.

Guest Da Hannanah

Re: Wednesdays internationals I hope you are joking, Kojic :eek 1. Heskey often plays from the start for Liverpool and certainly more often than Baros. 2. He simply cannot score goals!!!!!! Heskey last season for Liverpool: 50 appearances, 7 goals Baros last season: 41 appearances, 12 goals Heskey for England: 34 appearances, 5 goals Ask anyone in here - Heskey is a dud!

Guest crowie1969

Re: Internationals I try to stay away from International friendlies but I have to say that this bet caught my eye Portugal (-2.5) v Kazakhstan at 1.82 at Pinnacle. The odds tell you this will be a home win (1.10 top priced) so the question is really - how many will Portugal win by? 3-0 sounds more than possible to me especially since Portugal have named a strong squad. Some stuff from UEFA.com below

Ronaldo rounds off perfect week Cristiano Ronaldo has been called into the Portugal squad for the first time for the friendly international against Kazakhstan in Chaves on 20 August. Perfect week The 18-year-old forward, who joined Manchester United FC from Sporting Clube de Portugal for €17.5m on Tuesday, is one of two new players called up by Luiz Felipe Scolari, who has named a 18-man squad. Future prospects The other newcomer is FC Porto's third-choice goalkeeper Bruno Vale, who has yet to play for his club side. "We have picked Cristiano Ronaldo and Bruno Vale to observe them and see if we can count on them in the future," said Scolari. "I have seen them play but that is different to having them in the group and working with them." Few changes The coach resisted the temptation to make widespread changes to the squad, with English-based duo Hélder Postiga of Tottenham Hotspur FC and Newcastle United FC's Hugo Viana both keeping their places, along with naturalised Brazilian Deco. Seventh game The match will be Scolari's seventh in charge as Portugal continue to prepare to host the finals of UEFA EURO 2004™. After losing his opening game against Italy, Scolari saw his side defeat Brazil and F.Y.R. Macedonia, before drawing with the Netherlands and Paraguay and securing a 4-0 victory against Bolivia in their last outing in June. Portugal squad Ricardo, Vale, Andrade, Valente, Couto, Miguel, Jorge, Meira, Rui Costa, Costinha, Deco, Maniche, Ronaldo, Viana, Figo, Simão, Postiga, Pauleta.
Some recent scores for both teams Portugals results International England 1 - 1 Portugal 07-09-2002 International Portugal 1 - 1 Tunisia 12-10-2002 International Sweden 2 - 3 Portugal 16-10-2002 International Portugal 2 - 0 Scotland 20-11-2002 International Italy 1 - 0 Portugal 12-02-2003 International Portugal 2 - 1 Brazil 29-03-2003 International Portugal 1 - 0 Macedonia 02-04-2003 International Holland 1 - 1 Portugal 30-04-2003 International Portugal 0 - 0 Paraguay 06-06-2003 International Portugal 4 - 0 Bolivia 10-06-2003 Not exactly top notch performances, especially v Tunisia, Macedonia or Paraguay. The 4-0 v Bolivia is more like it. However Tunisia were at the WC, Paraguay are a hard to beat S American side (also got a 0-0 in Spain in Oct 2002) and Macedonia got a draw in England and led in Turkey 2-1 before losing 3-2. All in all, Portugal have been playing some top sides (Brazil, Italy and Holland) and some decent sides in their friendlies over last season. Kazakhstans results International Kazakhstan 1 - 1 Estonia 07-07-2002 International Malta 2 - 2 Kazakhstan 12-02-2003 International Faroe Islands 3 - 2 Kazakhstan 27-04-2003 International Faroe Islands 2 - 1 Kazakhstan 29-04-2003 International Poland 3 - 0 Kazakhstan 06-06-2003 The only result with any real decency about it is the draw with Estonia IMO. Losing twice to the Faroes. Also a 2-2 with Malta (who lost 5-0 to Macedonia last season). This will be by far and away Portugals easiest friendly to date. 3-0 or more would not be a major surprise against a what seems to be very limited Kazakh side. 5pts on Portugal -2.5 at 1.83 with Pinnacle for me

Guest crowie1969

Re: Internationals Kojic, I am sorry I have to agree with Da Han on this one. Heskey is just not international class and never will be. He is a decent player in the EPL but I think Baros is a much better option for Liverpool. One of the stats from last season (I think) showed that Heskey had the lowest % of shots on target of practically any EPL striker, I am sure it was something like 8%!! Yes, he is fast - but so is Maurice Greene. Yes, he is strong - but so is Lennox Lewis Neither of these are footballers either. And finally

also he has very solid controll of the ball
No - he doesn't, I am sorry to say. I respect your opinions on all things European but your fighting a losing battle to convince anyone that Heskey is an international quality player.

Guest kojic2003

Re: Wednesdays internationals I'm not joking!For me Heskey is a very good player. I think that I saw enaugh his games,including from time when he has played for England U21 team.He has been bad last season,because Liverpool play onedimensional football and it's obvious that Hullier is loosing his compass.It will be a miracle if stay alive after this season.With this style Liverpool has been good only one season.But they can't play with defense always.And Heskey can't imrove his quality in this situation. Do you think that Ruud van Nistelrooy can be compared with Rivaldo or Ronaldo?Ruud is just a medium player when you compare his quality with these players,but ManUtd has a system and every attacker can score in this team.They know when to go in attack,when to play defense,every players knows what he has to do.And in Liverpool?They only play defense,waiting for opponents mistake.It was good only one season.They have been bad last season,they will be bad again.Heskey could score 20+ goals in ManUtd every year. Also is Andy Cole some excelent player,but anyway he scored many goals for ManU!

Re: Wednesdays internationals Not a great fan of Heskey and never have been, but when Liverpool signed him they were crying out for a presence up front. I do think however it is unfair to judge his england performances purely on a goals to games basis as he often plays out of position. How many goals would Owen have got playing half his matches on the left wing? He's hardly prolific at the moment up front!! Just think back to Shearer playing for Newcastle before Bobby Robson took over. He wasnt scoring goals purely cos he was making runs to the corners as Newcastle had no width! Now tell me which premiership club got slated for having no width all last season!!

Guest Da Hannanah

Ruud is just a medium player when you compare his quality with these players,but ManUtd has a system and every attacker can score in this team
If this is true, why did they pay so much for Ruud? And why is he breaking scoring records left, right and centre? Heskey may be a useful team player on acount of his strength and pace, but a skillful striker he will never be. Nor a prolific goalscorer in any team...

Guest rooneymagic

Re: Wednesdays internationals I think Heskey is a great player for liverpool just think if they replaced him they would get at least another 10 goals a season:rollin Being an EVERTON fan i wouldn't want that now.

Re: Wednesdays internationals Heskey is no Van Nistelrooy Da Han, and it would be foolish for anyone to argue that; what i think Kojcik is saying that in Man U's team and if played up front week in week out he would be a 20 goal per season man. I agree with that also! IMO the following can be said of Heskey: 1. wasnt worth 11mil when Liverpool signed him 2. for a big lad frustratingly goes down too easy 3. decent team member/hard working 4. not a prolific scorer and prob never will be in Liverpool/England set up 5. shocking first touch (sorry Kojcik!!) 6. has been made a complete scapegoat for englands sub- standard performances by virtually everybody in the country including the media. Its high time everbodt got off his back!!

Guest AnothrSpacecat

Re: Wednesdays internationals as far as im conserned ruud is an average player. imagine how many goals ronaldo or henry would score for man united??!

Guest Footy4cast

Wind Up ...I cannot believe you are all going for Kojic's wind up regarding Heskey. Surely when he said that Heskey has good control :eek you must have realised he was joking - the fella can control it further than most players can kick it !!!

Guest Da Hannanah

the fella can control it further than most players can kick it
:rollin I am afraid Kojic is not kidding, though...

Guest Tonyvdb

Re: Wednesdays internationals Found only 1 interesting bet among tonight's friendlies : a Serbian homewin against Wales (matched 2,32 at Betfair). Because I leave on holiday in the morning :) and I won't be able to bet for 10 days :( , I'm letting myself have something I forbid myself in "normal" circumstances : an accumulator ! I do them very very rarely, but tonight I felt like having a shot on following fourfold : homewins for Portugal, Denmark, Bulgaria and Turkey give 2,49 at Bluesquare. Hooray !

Guest Dave Mardell

Re: Wednesdays internationals Well i always say you should never bet on friendlies as the real short prices always let you down. Course I actually DIDNT bet for once (which is sensible), and they are all romping home! COuld still have a wee punt on croatia - but ill pass. No bet. Roll on Saturday

knyd wrote Looking at the other matches on the coupon, be careful with Latvia since they are to try some new players, including a 17-years-old while their star striker Marian Pahars is due to make his comeback after the long-term injury; 1.36 for the Home Win v Uzbekistan is surely no value
Latvia-Uzbekistan 0-3 :eek

Guest crowie1969

Re: Wednesdays internationals Absolute pish from Portugal>: - 1-0 v Kazaalite - reinforces a golden rule of staying away from International matches, especially friendlies. Loss of 5pts for me for the season but probably my last punt on internationals if I can help it:(

Guest Da Hannanah

Was Rytter playing or someting DaHan
Very droll, FA... :lol Naaah, but our problems werent in defense anyway. We never looked like scoring, and the few chances we did create were missed by miles by Sand and Tomasson. Only Gronkjaer and Gravesen were any good, and they were not on the field for the second half. The Finns were without their best players and still we never looked a class above them. Scary...

Guest andybud

Denmark ... The Danes let me down again tonight :rolleyes Had 30pts on them in a Japan/Denmark double @ almost 2/1 Was gutted when livescore said 1-1 on 87 minutes >: The Danes also let me down a while ago at home to Bosnia ... think I will keep away from them from now on. :o

Guest Da Hannanah

Re: Wednesdays internationals You will be happy to learn then, Andybud, that the Finnish goal was a deflected free kick... :rolleyes