Japan v Senegal - WEDNESDAY AM

Guest scotpunt

Guest scotpunt

Anyone have any info, team news, I reckon Japan are a good bet although Im reluctant to bet until I hear of team news - I recall them beating Nigeria (weakened team 3-0) about a month back. Currently available at evens. Info would be appreciated. Cheers

Guest scotpunt

latest news Diouf misses Japan friendly Diouf was recently fined for spitting Senegal striker El Hadji Diouf will not play in Wednesday's friendly against Japan. Coach Guy Stephan said the Liverpool player's personal problems made it impossible for him to join his colleagues. Salif Diao, who is Diouf's club and international colleague, said Diouf was unable to arrange a flight from Paris to Tokyo. "I spoke to him before we left and he was supposed to be coming out to join us," Diao said on Tuesday. "But he had this [court case] in Scotland and I think he had flight problems with such a short time between his case and when we were to leave, so he is no longer coming." The African Footballer of the Year was fined $7,850 by a Scottish court for spitting at a Celtic fan during a Uefa Cup quarter-final in March. Stephan said the match against the Japanese will help strengthen his side for the 2004 Nations Cup finals in Tunisia. "The African Nations Cup is our main objective right now, so this will be a good test for us. "We will not take Japan lightly but we have come here with a strong team, with or without Diouf," Stephan said. Meanwhile, Japan coach Zico warned his players to respect the strength of the Senegalese as they look for their second straight win against African opposition, following a 3-0 victory over Nigeria in August. "Senegal often look for Diouf but they have a number of players, like Diao, who are so dangerous coming through from midfield. "Junichi Inamoto and Yasuhito Endo will have to work very hard to check those runs," said the Brazilian coach.

Guest scotpunt

MORE NEWS Senegal face tough test Fulham's Inamoto will be part of a strong Japanese squad Senegal will face a full-strength Japanese side when the two meet in an international friendly near Tokyo next month. Japan coach Zico has called up Feyenoord midfielder Shinji Ono, who will join the rest of Japan's "golden quartet" of European-based stars for the match. He will line up with Italy-based Serie A midfielders Hidetoshi Nakata and Shunsuke Nakamura. Fulham's Junichi Inamoto will also take part in the match, to be played at the Niigata Stadium. With Brazilian-born star Alessandro Santos playing on the left flank, Zico will be able to pick his strongest side since he took up the manager's job. Senegal would be missing captain Aliou Cisse, Ferdinand Coly, Pape Sarr and Moussa Ndiaye as a result of their poor form. Midfielder Khalilou Fadiga was dropped by coach Guy Stephan due to ill-health. Japan beat Nigeria's Super Eagles 3-0 in Tokyo last month, giving Zico his first home win in charge of the team. But the man who scored twice in that match, German-based SV Hamburg striker Naohiro Takahara, will not feature in the Senegal game as a result of club commitments. Zico said the match against the World Cup quarter-finalists would be a good test for his side. "Stronger opponents will be better for our preparation. "Senegal played excellent games in the World Cup and could have finished better. "It is also a good tune-up for them, as they are targeting the African Nations Cup," added Zico. Senegal have played Japan twice before, drawing 2-2 in May 1987 and winning 2-0 in October 2001. Ill have couple of shillings on Japan at Evens I think given the players missing from Senegal team.

Guest scotpunt

Probable teams Japan: Hitoshi Sogahata; Nobuhisa Yamada, Keisuke Tsuboi, Tsuneyasu Miyamoto, Alex; Hidetoshi Nakata, Junichi Inamoto, Yasuhito Endo, Shunsuke Nakamura; Atsushi Yanagisawa, Yoshito Okubo Senegal: Tony Mario Sylva; Lamine Diatta, Mamadou Seck, Pape Malick Diop, Omar Daf; Mamadou Lamine Diabang, Papu Bouba Diop, Salif Diao, Amdy Faye; Mamadou Hamidou Niang, Diomansy Kamara.