World Matchplay Darts

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: World Matchplay Darts :welcome to PL K-Junior. Great stat that, although it has to be said that Scholten did play one more match. I personally think Mardle is playing really well and the 180s between the two tonight could easily be a tie.

Re: World Matchplay Darts

:welcome to PL K-Junior. Great stat that' date=' although it has to be said that Scholten did play one more match. I personally think Mardle is playing really well and the 180s between the two tonight could easily be a tie.[/quote'] Thanks. Not really relevant that Scholten played one more match, as it's average per leg.

Re: World Matchplay Darts Day 4 Priestley looks big to me against Wade. Wade scored quite well against Jones but his finishing was awful at times and he did not look full of confidence. If Jones had not messed up checkout on 25 when hitting T9 and then again on 57 when trying to go outer bull to leave D16, hitting the bull and then missing big 3, he could well have been knocked out. Priestley in contrast gained a solid win over Osborne, a match in what he was the underdog in, and played reasonably well. The bookies who have priced this up make Wade favourite but on current form I am not sure I agree. Priestley will make it tough for Wade and I am not sure if the man from Aldershot will be able to cope, he certainly could not when they last met in the World Grand Prix last year. Van Gerwen played nothing like what he can do against Manley but crucially he finished well enough to go through and surely will improve on that win. He comes up against Baxter who I thought was fortunate against Anderson and he looked a man short of form and confidence. Van Gerwen is a red hot favourite for this one and even though he is little value for the match in the handicap at -3 @10/11 with Stan James he could be. King v A.Jenkins sees King as favourite and rightly so imo. Jenkins actually showed signs of bouncing back into form against Walsh but King is a step up from that. King did not score like he can do against Lloyd but he finished well and run out a convincing winner and similarly to Van Gerwen I believe he will improve from that performance. He is no value in the outrights but again possibly he could be on the handicaps but I will leave that one alone in this match as Jenkins looked in some sort of form unlike Baxter. Lewis v Hamilton 6 months ago would have been a classic but at the moment you have to favour Lewis. From 6 months ago arguably being the third best player in the world Hamilton's game has gone to pieces and he really struggled in round one and was lucky to come up against someone else who struggled badly. Lewis was nothing special in round one but he might just have a got a nice draw here and as well as winning the match he could be a good thing on the handicaps -3 @evens. The last two matches should see victories for Taylor against Painter and Barneveld against Bates but out of the two I believe Painter might just push Taylor a bit more. Taylor started poorly in the first round and even though he improved dramatically he was under no real pressure. Painter knows how to give Taylor a good match and even beat him and whilst he may not beat him I believe he could nick 7 legs on the handicap. Also I am going for a accumulator of Priestley, Van Gerwen, King and Lewis:hope

Re: World Matchplay Darts Looked like a better day on Tuesday but Part ruined it. I'll keep persevering though :loon. 2 to begin with on Weds. 10pts A.Jenkins +3.5 Legs to beat M.King 5/6 Blue Square Andy Jenkins was in good touch in the 1st 10 legs of his match with Mark Walsh and showed signs of the Rocky which made it to the semi finals of the World Championships. Mervyn King was flattered by the scoreline a bit against Colin Lloyd as Lloyd never showed up at all. That's not to say King didn't play well, he did but I have my doubts whether he played well enough to win 10-4. A 92.08 average suggests he did ok though. These 2 are good friends and will know each others games really well. If Jenkins scores like he did yesterday he's more than capable of taking 10 legs. I think it'll be fairly close throughout and will take Jenkins to win 10 legs on this handicap. 10pts M.van Gerwen -3.5 legs to beat R.Baxter 10/11 Sporting Odds Michael van Gerwen came through a huge test the other night against Peter Manley in both skill and mental departments of the game. This match will suit him much more however as he'll be playing a guy who likes a fast pace like van Gerwen. Baxter is completely out of form at present and he's going to have to step up remarkably on his 85.61 average to win this one. He looked completely at sea against Anderson though and it was only Anderson's inability to hit a double which kept Baxter in this event. van Gerwen has no such problems on the outer ring and he'll stop Baxter getting 10 legs in this one. Other bets to follow tomorrow :ok

Re: World Matchplay Darts Only one for me today... Strength 8/10 - Priestley To beat Wade - 5/6 - Betandgame Priestley looked in excellent form when he beat Osbourne in the first round. He was taking 100+ checkouts, was good on the doubles and was scoring very freely. I think that it will be hard for Wade this year round and he will struggle to go as far as he did last year (The final), because there is such a strong field this year round with many more player more expeirienced than him. Priesltley has been in good form all season and I think he can capitalise on this by doing well in this tournament and by causing a few upsets.

Re: World Matchplay Darts 2 more. The Priestley bandwagon has another customer! 10pts D.Priestley to beat J.Wade 6/5 Coral Dennis Priestley looked in good form in beating Colin Osborne in the 1st round and has shown in the past he has the style to get to Wade. Wade looked a shadow of the guy who took this tournament by storm yesterday and like I say has struggled with Priestley's style in the last. Form alone dictates Priestley should be such an outsider in this match but add throwing styles and their H2H into the mix and Priestley becomes a very solid bet. 10pts A.Lewis -2.5 Legs to beat A.Hamilton 4/5 Bet365 Adrian Lewis took Steve Beaton apart in fine style yesterday while the out of form Andy Hamilton struggled bigtime in his match with Mick McGowan. Amazingly Hamilton won with a 79.63 average yesterday but just to compete with Lewis here he needs to stick 15pts on that. Lewis is playing some good darts right now and although he has his critics I'm not one of them and strongly believe Hamilton won't win more than 10 legs here.

Re: World Matchplay Darts A couple of great matches this afternoon. Had a slice of Baxter at 9/4 when it was 9-9. Couldn't refuse odds like that on anyone so far into a match. I'm tempted by the evens (bet 365) on Taylor -6.5, I think the power will want Painter out of his face asp. I think Taylor will definetly win the game, but will he bury Kevin "the Artist" Painter. Anyone on board with me?

Re: World Matchplay Darts I can't pick my nose this week it seems mate but I'd be on that handicap more than I'd be opposing it tbh. Painter's an awful chaser. Thinks the world is against him whenever he goes behind and I still sense Taylor remembers the World Championship in 2005. That looks a comfortable win to me.

Re: World Matchplay Darts I will try this one though. 10pts R.Barneveld -6.5 legs to beat B.Bates Evs Sporting Odds Raymond Barneveld looked ominously good in beating Denis Ovens in the 1st round and should come on for the run. Barrie Bates did well to get past Andy Smith but the Welshman is suffering with a foot injury and that isn't going to help his cause this evening. Bates doesn't have the scoring power or consistency to trouble Barney and I see this being a comfortable win for the world champion. These 2 met in the UK Open final last year and Barney won 13-7. That was after a long day though so I expect a fresher Barney who is playing better than he was in Bolton last June to win this more comfortably by at least 13-6 if not better.

I can't pick my nose this week it seems mate but I'd be on that handicap more than I'd be opposing it tbh. Painter's an awful chaser. Thinks the world is against him whenever he goes behind and I still sense Taylor remembers the World Championship in 2005. That looks a comfortable win to me.
Well Painter is my last hope in the tournament and that probably means even worse news for him but I am fairly confident that as long as he does not fall too far behind early on he can give Taylor something to think about. When they recently met in the US Open in a game not televised he missed many doubles to win and even though that is a completely different kettle of fish in regards to the match tonight he could take 7 or 8 legs of Taylor for whom I felt it was difficult to judge if he was playing really well as he had no pressure at all from Newton. If Painter can put pressure on Taylor he misses a lot more doubles these days than he used to. Good luck either way.

Well Painter is my last hope in the tournament and that probably means even worse news for him but I am fairly confident that as long as he does not fall too far behind early on he can give Taylor something to think about. When they recently met in the US Open in a game not televised he missed many doubles to win and even though that is a completely different kettle of fish in regards to the match tonight he could take 7 or 8 legs of Taylor for whom I felt it was difficult to judge if he was playing really well as he had no pressure at all from Newton. If Painter can put pressure on Taylor he misses a lot more doubles these days than he used to. Good luck either way.
True. 5 180's, a 164 checkout and a 98 average suggests he's playing well though. Painter to me looks like he hasn't got over losing that match to Colin Lloyd in Bolton. He looked poor against Gray in round 1 and hasn't pushed Taylor anything like close over a long distance since the World final. Taylor looked proper hungry on Monday and his interview showed he means business this week. I hope Painter runs him close and we get more great darts like this afternoon but I don't see it. Mind you with my form this week that should be music to your ears :lol.

10pts A.Lewis -2.5 Legs to beat A.Hamilton 4/5 Bet365 Adrian Lewis took Steve Beaton apart in fine style yesterday while the out of form Andy Hamilton struggled bigtime in his match with Mick McGowan. Amazingly Hamilton won with a 79.63 average yesterday but just to compete with Lewis here he needs to stick 15pts on that. Lewis is playing some good darts right now and although he has his critics I'm not one of them and strongly believe Hamilton won't win more than 10 legs here.
I am with you on this one, Hamilton was dreadful in the 1st round whereas Lewis looked great. I know Lewis can blow a bit hot and cold but he should be able to cover this handicap even if he isn't on top form.

Re: World Matchplay Darts With you Aldric. Beaton fell in a hole when the pressure was applied. Over best of 26, 2.5 looks good and I think the same will befall Hamilton. Might leave the Talor-painter game alone, the opinion seems split on this one, thanks for veiws Kev and Woody, good luck on whatever you plunge for.

Lewis wins 13-9 to cover the handicap
:ok It was a very good performance from Lewis and Hamilton improved drastically from yesterday. Lewis could give Barney some problems if he continues like that........

Re: World Matchplay Darts Looking at the quarters there are four strong favourites and I am not that sure where the shock is going to come from. Jenkins continues to impress and even though Baxter improved against Van Gerwen from his first game, the Dutchman was a pale shadow of his real self and Baxter will have to improe again. At his best he can but at the moment Jenkins looks good on the handicap -3.5 @ 4/6 to stop Baxter getting 12 legs. Wade once again squeezed through in the last round and did not at all look comfortable in doing so missing many match darts and averaging a 'mere' 87. Against King he will have to build on that considerably. King played very well against Jenkins and as well as scoring was clinical on his doubles. It's no surprise to see that King's match odds have shrunk and again on the handicap -2.5 @8/11 looks fair. I cannot really seeing Scholten doing much to Taylor. Taylor definitely was in very good form against Painter who pushed him and did little wrong. Out of all the players who struggle against Taylor, Scholten more than most seems to let it affect him. In recent years in the Premier League he has had chances to take Taylor only then to blow them and if Taylor plays like he did yesterday it will be tough to see Roland getting near him. Lewis could be the one for an upset. I was very impressed with his performance against Hamilton and the way he sustained it through a whole match against a player playing pretty well because no doubt he has been blistering before in patches but no through a whole match. It is a tough ask against Barney in a long format, and now doubt he is the underdog but if he could perform like he did yesterday he could be a bit big although if you asked me who I would think would win I would say Barney but it is more on the prices.

Re: World Matchplay Darts Just one for me on the prices today. Am already on Lewis at 11/2 for tonight. 10pts J.Wade to beat M.King 9/5 Sporting Odds James Wade comes into this match very overpriced IMO. It won't be easy to beat a Mervyn King who has lost only 8 legs in the competition to date but the way Wade played when the going got tough against Priestley yesterday was excellent I thought. He'll be much better suited by Merv's flowing style and while he'll have to be at his best to tame the King signs are that form might not be far away. Wade's a solid competitor who is massively overpriced here in a match I think could quite easily go to extra legs.

Re: World Matchplay Darts I had Baxter down for the match considering he had that good comeback against Van Gerwen. Looked as if he was gonna make a comeback in this match aswell , but just left it a bit too late. Only watched the back-end of the match but was laughing when Sid Waddle said, 'This is where the greats of the game, like Barney, Taylor and Adrian Lewis would hit a maxiumum' . Since when was Adrian Lewis a great in the game of Darts? :lol

Jenkins continues to impress and even though Baxter improved against Van Gerwen from his first game, the Dutchman was a pale shadow of his real self and Baxter will have to improe again. At his best he can but at the moment Jenkins looks good on the handicap -3.5 @ 4/6 to stop Baxter getting 12 legs.
I was on this as well, cant believe Jenkins didn't beat the handicap after being up 15-9 :(

Re: World Matchplay Darts "but the way Wade played when the going got tough against Priestley yesterday was excellent " LOL yeah sure missing countless doubles for the match is really playing well when goiing gets tough. He's going to get pasted by King today.