York 13/7

3.20 - SHOT TO FAME - OK so it's not won since July '04 but a closer look reveals a bit of hope for this D NICHOLS 8 y-old. The ground is the key to this race as far as the selection is concerned as it's record on SOFT/ HEAVY going merits an investigation 1st , 3rd , 5th , unp , unp , unp , 2nd . BUT before you ask why !! those 3 unplaced races were 1 - CAMBRIDGESHIRE 2 - LINCOLN 3 - A CLASS 2 YORK Handicap where it had no chance with the draw. Now with todays Class 4 ; ratings - 89 was the previous lowest win rating , now down to 79 and liking for the Soft and it's close 2nd last week on Heavy going at NEWCASTLE i think that it's time has come to get that 5th career win. NICHOLS has had 5 winners since JULY 1ST so nothing wrong with the stable. :hope

Re: York 13/7 My (very) local track and as the bookies will be clogging up the roads i'm goign to try to get a wee bit back from their satchels. . . .

2:15 HOVIS MAIDEN STAKES (CLASS 3)
Hardly anything in the way of form to go off and generally dont bet on these but there is some interesting stats to look at. . . E J O'neill has a great record here with 2-y-o's (4/10 +28.25) and saddles racetrack debutant Hold the Gold. He's also saddled the last two winners here and could go for the hat-trick! Another very interesting stat is the fact that 8 from the last 10 winners have come from either stall 2 or 4. Which shortlists Flop and Lady Grantley but i'm discounting the latter as it's 3 runs to date have shown nothing whatsoever. Hold the Gold @ 7.00 is my selection though - he runs from stall 6 which is one of the 2 stalls (outside stalls 2 and 4) which have won this previously, and hoping E J Oneills stats continue! :hope

Re: York 13/7

2:45 CUISINE DE FRANCE SUMMER STAKES (GROUP 3)
Interesting that Firenze is likely to go off favourite but as the only 6 year old in the field, the odds could be against her as no horse older than 5 has won in the last 10 years. Been through the others and have enough question marrks to point the selection to Wokingham winner Dark Missile @ 5.40. Who; ". . . A Group 3 at York in a couple of weeks is on the cards for her now according to Andrew Balding, who says she is just coming to herself. If following the recent trends of winners here, there is no reason for thinking she won’t be able to give a good account of herself there. . ."

Re: York 13/7 Blue Echo 2.45 York (EW) As Nehemiah points out the 3yo and 4yo have the best record in this race over the last 10 years. I had a look at Dark Missile and thought it might be outclassed here. Was 9/9 at listed level and 9/9 in a Group 3 race but certainly looked well last time out in a handicap. The one I fancy is Blue Echo from Jarvis' stable. He does not have a great strike rate at York but its record over 6f reads 1st, 2nd and 3rd and it won on good to soft ground at Listed level. It was 5 lengths behind Firenze under a penalty but is about 5 times the price today. Ran off 95 then and goes off 93 today. Likes to lead and can get out in front from it's low draw and Darley has a good record at most Yorkshire tracks. Ground likely to be soft and may be hard to catch if they let it bowl along in front.

Re: York 13/7 15.55 york krugerrand (win) w musson bang in form, c&d winner. needs a strong gallop, basically guaranteed at york. bit of overnight rain at york will help, only 9 runners so this hold up horse should avoid trouble, and still get the cover it needs till the 2f pole. only price available 6/1, fair price around 8/1 for this thoroughly exposed handicapper, but imo will go close today off 79:hope tish

Re: York 13/7 Just a point on York today, the ground was already soft and it's been raining so it might even end up heavy, as some parts of the track are still heavy now and are not being used. No races over 1m today I believe. I don't think many horses will be coming from behind with a late run here today. It should suit those in front by the furlong pole and horses will be hard pushed to quicken on this ground. It should suit those that stay the trip well and bowl along in front. :ok