AFL Round 12 (Week 2 - Fri June 20 - Sun June 22)

Re: AFL Round 12 (Week 2 - Fri June 20 - Sun June 22) I thought Carlton's status was sort of sorted but it seems Wooden Spoon seems to be an attractive proposition to Blues' supporters. Btw, do they actually give a wooden spoon or something similar? ads25 - is there a star in the making or a case of sun herald making a star outta the kid ? 118 pages - how do they fill so many pages? How does herald sun compare with SMH or Age ? Why do I smell a trashy tabloid - hope I am wrong. Losing to get no 1 draft pick - that's such a sorry way. They should introduce draft lottery as in NBA to discourage tanking games.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: AFL Round 12 (Week 2 - Fri June 20 - Sun June 22)

I thought Carlton's status was sort of sorted but it seems Wooden Spoon seems to be an attractive proposition to Blues' supporters. Btw' date=' do they actually give a wooden spoon or something similar?[/quote'] Theres no wooden spoon awarded as such, i guess its just a figure of speech. Finishing last use to be awful and no club ever wanted to win the 'wooden spoon'. Not the case anymore as your rewarded if you finish on the bottom, so copping crap from opposition supporters doesnt bother me in the slightest, bottom place teams are the real winners. Herald Sun is a big paper mate, the most read paper in Australia. The pages on the Age are too big and not worth reading, the sun is second to none for sport. The article i was talking about was a half page article about this years potential top draft pick Matt Kreuzer, its been common knowledge for over a year he'd probably be picked up number 1 and he could be the most anticipated no.1 pick in AFL history. He is best on ground every week for his current team Yeah this is always been a big debate for years. The AFL will never change it, but Kevin Sheedy came up with a good idea during the week actually and thats to rate the bottom 4 clubs based on highest amount of score for the season, and the highest scoring team gets the top pick etc

Re: AFL Round 12 (Week 2 - Fri June 20 - Sun June 22) A few topics have been raised in the last few days in this forum that are worthy of some comment and debate. The wooden spoon/tanking/draft picks discussion has been interesting. It was clear that teams who thought their finals chances were dashed would throw in the towel and give up on the season chasing the priority draft picks. Teams that tanked would be teams either hit hard with injury rendering them uncompetitive or teams that had made mistakes with their playing list or their recruiting. The best example of tanking in recent times was Collingwood in 2005. They lost Rocca and Buckley and were two games out of the eight come round 14. They took the decision to play kids and didn’t win another game after chalking up their fifth win. That gave them picks 2 and 5 in the draft. The system has changed now and if Collingwood did the same nowadays in the same circumstances they would receive picks 2 and 18. You are not rewarded as heavily as you were previously. Other notable tankers in recent times include Richmond in 2004 (no win after round 8) and Carlton in 2003 (no win after round 11). Some of the best laughs I get on the internet is on the Carlton forums. The supporters were talking finals before the Hawthorn game and then got their regular reality check. They expect way too much with talent they have. 8 wins will be a good result, but still have 4 interstate trips. I might as well way in to the newspaper debate. The reason why the Herald-Sun has so many pages to fill is because they either make it up or beat it up. The Age sports liftout is brilliant. There are plenty of news worthy stories, the best analysis, great features and more in depth. The Herald-Sun aims at the lowest common denominator and is proud of it. Onto the weekend, and there are slim pickings from a punting point of view. Tonight’s game at the MCG doesn’t interest me in the least. Melbourne should win but the doubt on Neitz throws a cloud on the match. There are light showers about with no breeze. Sydney has the ammunition to handle Collingwood. The Swans cannot be dropping anymore home games if they are serious about a top 4 finish. Even with average supply from the midfield, the Swans should kick 100 points against the Magpies defence severely undermanned. A tough month ahead for the Magpies and will need to look elsewhere for a victory. West Coast will have their regulation home victory over the Saints. The Saints don’t score too well on the road and the Eagles have the defence to put the clamps on Riewoldt and Koschitzke. The Eagles have an average attack and should make a big play for Fevola or Franklin. Lynch doesn’t have the consistency to be their key forward.

Score Predictor & My Tips

Richmond 69 Melbourne76 Sydney 94 Collingwood 88 West Coast 113 St.Kilda 59

Suggested Bet

SYDNEY Margin 1-39

Have a good weekend.

Re: AFL Round 12 (Week 2 - Fri June 20 - Sun June 22) I'd be interested on people's thoughts on West Coast over 39.5 at above evens :eek No Gehrig surely will mean a toothless St Kilda, and they are bad enough as it is - I'd expect a flogging here :loon

I'd be interested on people's thoughts on West Coast over 39.5 at above evens :eek No Gehrig surely will mean a toothless St Kilda, and they are bad enough as it is - I'd expect a flogging here :loon
Certainly worth a look at. Problem is West Coast dont always flog teams, 5 of their 8 wins this year have been under 39.5 points. However St Kilda have been having a tough time of it this season, they have lost 7 matches and 4 of those have been over 39.5 and their average losing margin away from home is 45 points. One thing worth noting is that Robert Harvey plays his 350th game for the Saints and they will be pumped up to peform well for this club legend. He is probably the greatest player the club has ever produced and is a favourite among everyone, so they will try perform for him. Thats my two cents worth anyway :ok

Re: AFL Round 12 (Week 2 - Fri June 20 - Sun June 22) Great write up as usual Crisp and some very good points made, agree with most of them too :dude Hey Ads if you are two cents, Jeffers could be 50 cent :rollin "They are Carlton supporters, now i know why" 50 cent ©rap

Re: AFL Round 12 (Week 2 - Fri June 20 - Sun June 22) Annoys me a bit, the age old theories about tanking for picks, now that it's changed, anyway. You win that extra game or two, so you miss Hodge and get lumbered with Judd, or miss Roughead or Tambling so have to settle on Franklin ... rats! :cryAlthough, I can't deny they'd look at the situation if heading downwards. Playing youngsters with next season in mind is not just post draft-era strategy though.

Re: AFL Round 12 (Week 2 - Fri June 20 - Sun June 22) Sydney vs Collingwood Sydney host Collingwood at the Telstra Stadium in a match that is always big every year, and a huge crowd of up to 60,000+ is expected. If history between these two are any guide, then this should be yet another close game. In the past 9 clashes between each other the highest winning margin by either team is 20 points. The Swans have the luxury of fielding close to a full strength team, only Tadhg Kennelly and Jared Crouch are on their injury list, while Luke Ablett will return this week. Collingwood have plenty of injury problems and are fielding a backline filled with youth, infact 9 of their 22 tonight have played less than 33 games in their careers. This is a good opportunity for Sydney to get their season back on track and i think they will win this by under 39.5 because 4 of their 6 wins have been with this margin. Pick Sydney Under 39.5 at $2.25 - 5/10 (Centrebet)

Re: AFL Round 12 (Week 2 - Fri June 20 - Sun June 22) Watched Sydney/Collingwood tonight and that has to be one of the best wins in Collingwood's history. Undermanned, but they had the will to win, and the heart to give it all the had, and they wanted it more than Sydney. That is a defining win in Collingwood's history, sensational effort by the Pies tonight. A team win whichever way you look at it. The Irishman Marty Clarke in his first AFL game after 14 VFL games ended up having 20 possessions on debut, only bettered by Shane O'Bree with 25. The Pies had no standouts, except for a standout team effort. Dale Thomas and Scott Pendlebury were not even number 1 draft picks, but they play like they were. Top effort Pies!!! :clap:clap:clap Beejayville did state in this forum 2 weeks ago that the Pies were going to beat Sydney, and I believe we were around $3-00 for the win :dude

Re: AFL Round 12 (Week 2 - Fri June 20 - Sun June 22) Still on a high from the magnificent effort by the Pies tonight and having now had a few ales I am looking for unbiased Collingwood feedback from my learned PL friends in here :dude It just occurred to me that Sydney has played in the past 2 Grand Finals, winning in 2005 and runners up last year, so they are a good side with a potent forward line. What does it mean for the Pies no name backline being able to stop the Sydney forward line? Shane Wakelin shut down Barry hall, and Tyson Goldsack shut down Michael O'Laughlin, and with the help of their no name teamtes they played team football to defend in a great manner. Thoughts? Can't believe the Pies were touted as a bottom 4 side after finishing 5th last year after 22 rounds.

Re: AFL Round 12 (Week 2 - Fri June 20 - Sun June 22) You were about 3.50 by about game time. A shame Collingwood ruined the spectacle with those dull negating tactics - a blight on the game! I would have rather watched Humphrey B than that shameful rubbish.

I am looking for unbiased Collingwood feedback from my learned PL friends in here
A word on biased... how biased was that commentating towards collingwood... absolutely horrible to listen to on channel 7. I stopped at half time and turned on Triple M instead. Good win by the way. I think the Sydney coach might learn something this week too.. there will be a few on his back I reckon.

A word on biased... how biased was that commentating towards collingwood... absolutely horrible to listen to on channel 7. I stopped at half time and turned on Triple M instead. Good win by the way. I think the Sydney coach might learn something this week too.. there will be a few on his back I reckon.
Says you are located in Melbourne Koi :clap You should be encouraging biase towards any team outside of Victoria :ok I think it was on TEN too, not Seven, doubt I could have listened to Seven's commentary to be honest. Tried listening to Rex Hunt and the crew but it was about 2 seconds ahead, and knew what was happening before it happened.

You were about 3.50 by about game time. A shame Collingwood ruined the spectacle with those dull negating tactics - a blight on the game! I would have rather watched Humphrey B than that shameful rubbish.
That sounds like the comment of a Geelong supporter a little concerned about playing the Black and White in a couple of weeks, especially after the Pies smashed Geelong by over 100 points last season. :lol

That sounds like the comment of a Geelong supporter a little concerned about playing the Black and White in a couple of weeks' date=' especially after the Pies smashed Geelong by over 100 points last season. :lol[/quote']Everyone smashed em by a hundred last year. You won't be playing the poofy-cats this time, mate. :dude:lol

And they get a dream run from here on (as usual). One reason why I took some 3.90 recently about them finishing top-4.
May be a great bet :ok Don't forget we have many youngsters so may take it's toll over 22 games.

Re: AFL Round 12 (Week 2 - Fri June 20 - Sun June 22) ffs, Bjv... http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7 Go!!! Talk your crap!!! Chat with other long haired, buck tooth ferals ;) Best win ever?? Man...Undermanned?...let's have a look. Clement out. Good player....but has been out for more than half the season. Presti out. Solid, but ready-made replacement in Wakelin. Wakelin smashed an out of form Hall anyway. Presti and Wakelin won't play in the same team. O'Brien out. Yeah, coming along nicely, but still only a rookie himself. Cox and Goldsack are realistically every bit as good. Rhyce Shaw?? Are you kidding me?? Gets his 20+ possies a game and dead-set panics every time he gets one. Ordinary player at best. There's the "4 of the best 6 backs out" that everyone seemed to want to talk about all day. (Not that it worried me, I got 2.00 @ Betfair for the +15.5...out to 2.10 late I saw). It just occurred to me that Sydney has played in the past 2 Grand Finals, winning in 2005 and runners up last year, so they are a good side with a potent forward line. No they're not! It might have occured to you to actually have a look! They've topped 100 just 3 times all season...against 3 of the worst defensive clubs going around....they haven't topped 73 in 7 of their games! You should be encouraging biase (sic) towards any team outside of Victoria :ok Why? Last time I looked it was a national comp. Can't believe the narrow minded morons in the Herald Sun last week complaining about having no football to go and watch... ...the NFL is one of the biggest sports in the world, played in some of the biggest cities in the world, yet Chicago (for example) only get to see a game every second week. What's your point, Melbournites? I don't get it. Go and watch a VFL game...some grass roots stuff if you miss it that badly. (or pay the $70 a month and get Austar/Foxtel and shut the hell up!!) It also just occurred to me that Collingwood has beaten Adeliade in Adelaide, Brisbane in Brisbane, Sydney in Sydney, and took West Coast to 2 goals in Perth. (You seem to be having a few revelations there Bjv...not having visions are you?...) Essendon have won in Adelaide and Sydney. Doggies have won in Brisbane and Darwin. Adelaide have won in Perth, Melbourne and the Gold Coast. Kangaroos have won in Geelong. Hawthorn have won in Adelaide and Launceston... ...which brings me to the next point, which is Hawthorn will be the real test next week. In the last 6 rounds, Colliongwood have played... Carlton (14th and crap) Dogs (7th, and beaten) Brisbane (12th) Freo (11th) Melbourne (15th, crap and lost!) Sydney (10th) ...in fact, throw in Richmond and Port, and you've beaten 8 of the bottom 9 teams. Well done. Now honestly, click on that link and go see if you can speak the same language as "Joffer"...who I can't believe gets shown every ****ing week on tv. He's a halfwit who wears a gold jacket with 2 minutes to go when they are going to win....WE GET IT!!!!!! :wall

Re: AFL Round 12 (Week 2 - Fri June 20 - Sun June 22) Great post Taza :lol I was going to post something up too along similar lines but you've pretty much covered it :lol Sydney were very poor last night, but Collingwood did look good. It's funny how one game turns you from "it's all about 2008" to "top 4 material" eh bj :)

Re: AFL Round 12 (Week 2 - Fri June 20 - Sun June 22) Thanks mate! :D Thought it may have been a little harsh...but he has to learn! lol West Coast v. St. Kilda under 166.5 (1.90) I wanted 163 or better, so happy to take this one. Eagles super defensively at home, St. Kilda really struggling to put a score on the board...The only way the Saints have a chance is to bottle this game up. It appears that Judd will not be playing... Also a chance of rain about which won't harm the total either.

Re: AFL Round 12 (Week 2 - Fri June 20 - Sun June 22) Nothing you can say will get me off this high Taza. The fact is, we won a game we had no right to win, considering our player experience compared to Sydneys. Compare Cox and Goldsacks careers to O'Keefe and O'Laughlin. First 2 have played about 10 games between them, latter two have played how many? Plus latter two have both played in 2 grand Finals, that makes the two Pie lads undermanned against experienced matchwinning players like that. As far as the Hawks go, Hawthorn is obviously a better side than Collingwood because they are higher up the ladder. So Hawthorn would be expected to win that, so you are right there. Hawks are also coming off a 2 week break compared to Collingwoods one week, so that may be a benfit or may not be. Oddly enough, I think Sydney beat Hawthorn too did they not? And not too long ago either, and Collingwood beat Sydney at their own game. If the Hawks couldn't beat the Swans game plan, and Collingwood use the same game plan as Sydney, then they have to be some chance don't they? When I said best win ever, I was talking from my point of view as a Collingwood supporter, even Anthony Rocca said after the game that was the best winning game he has played in. Since I can't stand looking at Joffa, yet alone going to a forum where he is at, I will keep my excitement to myself in future. As for the winning away, we have won 3 from 4, simply thought that was a fair achievement, but as you pointed out, many teams have won away this season which I didn't realise. Maybe Geelong's first 2 wins away in Adelaide for ages means nothing too if that's the case. Think I prefer Jeffer's light hearted approach to my banality, less demoralising and more fun. :dude

Thanks mate! :D Thought it may have been a little harsh...but he has to learn! lol West Coast v. St. Kilda under 166.5 (1.90) I wanted 163 or better, so happy to take this one. Eagles super defensively at home, St. Kilda really struggling to put a score on the board...The only way the Saints have a chance is to bottle this game up. It appears that Judd will not be playing... Also a chance of rain about which won't harm the total either.
I got told Friday night by workmate that Judd has Osteitis Pubis and wouldn't be playing today. Guy at work knows someone who knows someone who said Judd is pretty sore in the nether regions and could even be long term injury. Try to find out more :unsure

Great post Taza :lol I was going to post something up too along similar lines but you've pretty much covered it :lol Sydney were very poor last night, but Collingwood did look good. It's funny how one game turns you from "it's all about 2008" to "top 4 material" eh bj :)
Maybe you should post the sms you sent me last night about Pies being good enough to win the Flag Jeffers :dude I still have it here :D

I got told Friday night by workmate that Judd has Osteitis Pubis and wouldn't be playing today. Guy at work knows someone who knows someone who said Judd is pretty sore in the nether regions and could even be long term injury. Try to find out more :unsure
Thought Rebecca would have brought that one on well before now.