** April Poker League Result : 1st Like2Fish, 2nd McG, 3rd andybell666 **

Friday 1st June - England VS Brazil

Re: Friday 1st June - England VS Brazil Aside from the ceremonial significance of this fixture, the game provides an important prelude to important competitive commitments for both nations. England have won just one of their last six games, and that was against Andorra. The Three Lions resume their stuttering Euro 2008 qualification in Estonia on June 6th, so this game will provide an important warm-up for Steve McClaren, along with the B international on May 25th. For Brazil and coach, Dunga, this match is a prelude to the Copa America in Venezuela starting on June 26th for which his side are defending Champions. The former Brazilian captain has been in charge since the disappointments of last summer’s World Cup, losing no time in ushering in a new era for the Brazilian national side where the focus is on unity not personality. Dunga has broken up the ‘Magic Quartet’ of Ronaldinho, Kaka, Adriano and Ronaldo, failing to name the latter two in the squad. Given that the Spanish season will still be running, and that both Ronaldinho and Kaka are opting out of the Copa America because of burn-out, it will not be a surprise if their contribution is minimal. Nevertheless, Brazil have a seemingly bottomless pit of talent so Wembley is likely to be treated to a display from future stars of the world stage. England fans definitely won’t see either Gary Neville or Andy Johnson, who are recovering from injury. Wayne Rooney’s contribution might be limited as he is suspended for the game in Estonia, necessitating McClaren to experiment with a replacement attacking option. That striker shortage could be filled by Michael Owen who hasn’t pulled on an England shirt since crawling off during England’s World Cup quarter-final against Portugal. Owen has completed just two and a half Premiership games for Newcastle since recovering from serious knee ligament damage, but his bad luck is still dogging him as he was concussed halfway through the Magpies final game. Owen opened the scoring when the sides last met at Wembley, sharing a 1-1 draw, the ninth encounter at the venue. They have of course met more recently, at the 2002 World Cup, when Owen also opened the scoring, though Brazil won 2-1 on the way to lifting the trophy. Five years may have passed since that game, but the wounds are still fresh, and England fans will expect revenge. England would love to win this more for the fans than anything else and with a lot of the big stars from Brazil missing England might just get a 2-1 result from this 'show piece'. England are 2.50 to win with Bet365 paddypower BlueSq

Re: Friday 1st June - England VS Brazil Ferdinand, Dawson, Bridge and Lennon out so far for England. Anyone have team news for Brazil? I usually go against England in these high profile friendlys as they are always over rated by the bookies, 4's against Spain in last match :loon England's probable line-up by SkySports; Robinson P. Neville - Carragher - Terry - Shorey Beckham - Gerrard - Lampard - J. Cole Owen - Smith Still a strong team though i just feel that with the inexperience on both defensive flanks they can be taken advantage of by Brazil, and don't really rate Smith, while Owen is just back from injury and don't feel he will prove to have a big impact on this game. And on the subject of the Gerrard - Lampard partnership, it's simple, they just can't play together! Have watched Beckham recenty for Madrid and he has been absolutely superb though he has the poacher Van Nistlerooy to lay on, don't think England have that sort of quality upfront, and even with Rooney up there, he isn't the sort of player that will get into those positions, Owen is, but he isn't back to himself just yet

Re: Friday 1st June - England VS Brazil Brazil : Helton (Porto), Doni (Roma), Juan (Bayer Leverkusen), Alex (PSV Eindhoven), Naldo (Werder Bremen), Alex Silva (São Paulo), Daniel Alves (Sevilla), Maicon (Internazionale), Gilberto (Hertha Berlim), Marcelo (Real Madrid), Edmílson (Barcelona), Mineiro (Hertha Berlim), Gilberto Silva (Arsenal), Josué (São Paulo), Elano (Shakhtar Donetsk), Diego (Werder Bremen), Ronaldinho (Barcelona), Kaká (Milan), Jô (CSKA), Robinho (Real Madrid), Vagner Love (CSKA), Afonso (Heerenveen)

Re: Friday 1st June - England VS Brazil can't see england winning this one but they did beat argentina in a friendly a few years ago so anything's possible :unsure can see them dropping points at estonia too such is my lack of confidence in the team at the minute! :(

Re: Friday 1st June - England VS Brazil Without looking into too much detail, this looks draw 0-0 or 1-1 written all over it tbh. It's just one of them friendlies that won't be frenetic, will be boring as hell, and might have a couple of magic moments. 0-0 9.00 Stan James 1-1 6.50 Stan James

Re: Friday 1st June - England VS Brazil Tempted to back Brazil to win with a saver on Owen scoring any time. I think the odds are too high for Brazil considering something of a makeshift English defence. The odds for Brazil to win are too high based on probably expectation that England win first game at Wembley. The return of Beckham has further heightened this. I think Brazil have more than enough attacking flair to take advantage of England's lack of holding midfielder and inexperienced defence. I would say if England were to get something then Owen HAS to score! This may not be true naturally but I can't see one goal this season Smith scoring and Lampard and Gerrard in that unbalanced midfield may not get as many chances as they would like. That's just my 2 units worth anyhow.

Re: Friday 1st June - England VS Brazil A friendly for the first senior international at the new Wembley. It would be a pity if England lost that first historical event there, and like some other contributors, I wouldn't be at altogether surprised to see a draw as the outcome (3.35 Betfair). (2/10) V. Small stakes for me, and I'll also have a tiny piece of the odds on 2-2, just for badness. scorecast 2-2 (18.0 Betfair). (0.2/10)

England - Brazil

Sport Football (Internationals)
Event England v Brazil
Selection draw
Strength 10/10
Date 01/06/2007
Bookmaker/Price Betdaq @ 3.30 (Back)
The £850mil investment new Wembley stadium will receive the visit of Brazil against the England national team. McClaren is thinking of either a 4-5-1 or a 4-2-2 here with Smith as possible to pair with Owen in offense. the problem is that no matter which tactical decision Steve McClaren will chose here the offense doesn't look very sharp to me. 17 months with just one goal for both smith and Owen. It's true they've been injured for quite a lot of time but still they didn't look very spectacular lately with just Smith bagging a goal against Albania last week. All in all I don't see them osing either. They can't afford losing in front of their home fans at their return on the national stadium. Dunga hasn't prepared Brazil in a very offensive matter as he will use 4 defenders and 2 defensive midfielders Edmilson and Gilberto Silva. I think McClaren is making a mistake by moving Carragher from the center to the right , but still, King is a very talented defender and I see him doing a very good job against the Wagner Love - Robinho pair.

Re: Friday 1st June - England VS Brazil

Sport Football (Internationals)
Event England vs Brazil
Selection England -0 (Asian Handicap)
Strength 8/10
Date 01/06/2007
Bookmaker/Price canbet @ 2.00 (Back)
Reasoning England will be without few of its important players like Ferdinand, Gary Neville, Hargraves, Rooney and Bridge. However, in my view England still have more than able replacement for those missing ones except in attack. Since Rooney is a pretty big missing imo. Alan Smith and Owen are the designated members of the Three Lions that will spearhead their attack today. But I think Owen has not hit peak form yet while Smith isn't exactly the solution to England's dull attacks. On the other hand, Brazil will most likely to hand few starts for the fringe players. No doubt motivation would be high for them to prove their worth. However, being a friendly game, I just dont see both team take this serious enough. They got two important competition ahead of them in Euro 2008 and the Copa America and I dont think they would want to risk some more unecessary injuries to the list. The two most dangerous Brazillian pairing of Kaka and Ronaldinho would also not be in the best shape either. Kaka just finished his season while Ronaldinho still have Spain Primera Division going on. It is a tough game to predict and maybe one that we should skip. However, England national team will play for the first time in the new Wembley today. On top of that, public pressure for the home team to produce a good results is simply great and I could see them at least obtain a draw from this friendly or even a win.

Re: Friday 1st June - England VS Brazil Expecting a tame friendly without many flashpoints. The England squad will want to avoid injury for the Estonia game, and the Brazillians have a few players still involved in the climax of La Liga. FIRST BOOKING TIME: 43 MINS OR AFTER (includes NO BOOKING) - 1.73 BLUE S Q UNDER 1.5 TOTAL CARDS - 2.1 BET 3 6 5 NO BOOKINGS - 4.5 HILLS Small stakes for no books bet, but confident of the other two coming in.

Re: Friday 1st June - England VS Brazil Anyone feel like it could be low scoring? :\ I haven't done any research but I heard Dunga had made Brazil tight. Many of the England lads will be a bit tired after long season and World Cup. The new Wembley pitch seems poor which is not helping goalscoring neither.

Re: Friday 1st June - England VS Brazil I feel a pre arranged magmanamous draw is on the cards here! English FA dangled a carrot to Brazilian FA to be the first nation to face England at the new wembley just sniffs draw and loads of back slapping at the final whistle between both nations!!! @3.25 Paddypower Draw Scoreline 1 v 1 @5.50 D Beckham score anytime @5.00 :ok

Re: Friday 1st June - England VS Brazil Think alot of people won here on the draw well done :clap I myself had Brazil (0) so lost nothing, thank god for diego 92nd min :cow Think the ref was VERY generous tonight, England could have had a player sent off (King), plus alot of dirty tackles from both sides. Gilberto was unlucky to have his goal ruled offside, wrongly. Overall England's performance, defensively VERY solid, though this is probably due to the midfielders all defending very deep and i don't really see anything going forward. They cannot rely on Beckham to produce the goods every match from a free kick.

Expecting a tame friendly without many flashpoints. The England squad will want to avoid injury for the Estonia game, and the Brazillians have a few players still involved in the climax of La Liga. FIRST BOOKING TIME: 43 MINS OR AFTER (includes NO BOOKING) - 1.73 BLUE S Q UNDER 1.5 TOTAL CARDS - 2.1 BET 3 6 5 NO BOOKINGS - 4.5 HILLS Small stakes for no books bet, but confident of the other two coming in.
Clean sweep on the bookings bets. The ref was even more lenient than I expected, there would have been at least 4 bookings in the first half had it been a meaningful game. Nice finish for those on the draw and 1-1 :clap

Re: Friday 1st June - England VS Brazil :cow pity goldenballs couldn't come up trumps!

I feel a pre arranged magmanamous draw is on the cards here! English FA dangled a carrot to Brazilian FA to be the first nation to face England at the new wembley just sniffs draw and loads of back slapping at the final whistle between both nations!!! @3.25 Paddypower Draw Scoreline 1 v 1 @5.50 D Beckham score anytime @5.00 :ok

Tempted to back Brazil to win with a saver on Owen scoring any time. I think the odds are too high for Brazil considering something of a makeshift English defence. The odds for Brazil to win are too high based on probably expectation that England win first game at Wembley. The return of Beckham has further heightened this. I think Brazil have more than enough attacking flair to take advantage of England's lack of holding midfielder and inexperienced defence. I would say if England were to get something then Owen HAS to score! This may not be true naturally but I can't see one goal this season Smith scoring and Lampard and Gerrard in that unbalanced midfield may not get as many chances as they would like. That's just my 2 units worth anyhow.
Good thing I didn't back anything at all! :lol That in itself is a winner as get to keep money! :nana Oh and seemed obvious Brazil were going to get a late goal as Robinson looked shakey late on and as has been said with hindsight at that point in the game, a draw was a good result for both teams.

Good one Mr Jonesy Nose! Very unlucky for Secondsight today who was just a few seconds from winning.
Cheers Tiger :ok Sums this season, so near but in the end a loss. I will keep firing away on the value bets over the long run I will be up.