** April Poker League Result : 1st Like2Fish, 2nd McG, 3rd andybell666 **

Cricket: England vs West Indies Test Series

Re: Cricket: England vs West Indies Test Series

West Indies total runs over 417.5
unfortunately that's a winner. The pitch looks good so England should be able to get 250 odd today and set Windies 380+ but I'd expect they will be able to bat it out.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Cricket: England vs West Indies Test Series That wasn't the day I wanted. The tail end were able to take Windies beyond 420 and we then gifted Gayle 60pts for his performance. He's now on 90 so that's not looking so good. I only hope this rain comes along and saves me losing the England lay. Lots of rain and a cheap Gayle wicket is the order of the day for tomorrow :ok

England -2.5 to win Test Series 6/5 >Bet365
don't forget about this bet kev. come on England, if any side could collapse on the final day it's West Indies, just a matter of chipping away throughout the day and hoping for some luck. however the pitch looks to be playing well and the Windies really should bat out, whta was Strauss doing delaying the delaration for the sake of a dozen extra runs???

Re: Cricket: England vs West Indies Test Series do you think we still have a chance on the series handicap kev? Even if the rain hadn't have come Windies would probably have batted out comfortably today, England's bowling really does look a one man band atm with Hoggy out. We should still win the series with conditions suiting us up north but i'm not sure about 3-0, especially as we may only get 4 days to win a match somewhere along the line.

do you think we still have a chance on the series handicap kev? Even if the rain hadn't have come Windies would probably have batted out comfortably today, England's bowling really does look a one man band atm with Hoggy out. We should still win the series with conditions suiting us up north but i'm not sure about 3-0, especially as we may only get 4 days to win a match somewhere along the line.
Yep, still confident. We showed in this match we're much better than they are. Headingley and Riverside suit our attack perfectly and we battered Pakistan at Old Trafford last year. Flintoff will be back for the last 2 test matches and there's Anderson and Mahmood who can replace Hoggard so yep still confident.

OK here we go, bets on the first test.. England not to win @ 11/8 (b365) I've already highlighted above a few reasons why I think WI can provide more of a test than people are expecting so I'm gonna put my money where my mouth is and hope that the Ashes form continues. If Freddie is out and we get a bit of rain then I think there is value here. Sarwan top bat @ 4/1 (b365) Sarwan is a quality test batsman, currently third favourite which I can't understand given Gayle's recent form and Chanderpaul's tendency to grind it out for a fairly low score. He has a few centuries to his name against England and I fancy him to relish his new responsibilities. Bell top bat @ 9/2 (b365) Bell has improved enormously at test level and I think the WI attack should be to his liking. Relying on a few low scores elsewhere but Pietersen, Flintoff and, in his first test innings, Prior could be prone to this. J Taylor > 70 pts (b365) @ 11/10 Taylor is the bowler WI are looking to to spearhead their attack and he has done reasonably well in Test cricket recently in terms of wickets taken rather than economy. 3 wickets and 10 runs/a catch will cover this so am liking these odds greater than evens. A Strauss > 82 pts (b365) @ 5/6 Seem to be focussing on the captains a bit but nevertheless I think Strauss is due a bit of a revival in Test cricket, he is a quality opener and if WI can't get it right early on then one big score should take us close. Also fields at slip so a few catches will improve our chances.
Well only 1 out of 5 in the end but all the others went pretty close, net loss of 13.13pts on a 5pt stake for each. Pretty gutted about the Taylor lbw that was refused and the dropped catches by him and others off his bowling but that's betting for you. Once the squads are announced I'll have a look at the 2nd test prices.

I rate one of them and he ain't Mahmood.
1 of them takes wickets and he is Mahmood. Sure he goes round the park but didn't Tait not so long ago? He's still young. That side of his game will improve but he's got pace, gets bounce and can reverse it as well as anyone in the country.

1 of them takes wickets and he is Mahmood. Sure he goes round the park but didn't Tait not so long ago? He's still young. That side of his game will improve but he's got pace' date=' gets bounce and can reverse it as well as anyone in the country.[/quote'] For me he needs to improve on the County scene where there's no pressure as such and not in the public eye in tests and definately not ODI's! He's way off becoming a reliable ODI bowler for me but yep he does have potential to become a striker bowler akin to Tait.

Re: Cricket: England vs West Indies Test Series He definitely needs to develop a bit more but for a stop gap at Headingley especially I think he'd be ok to be shoved in. Either Hoggard or Fred will be back for the 3rd test and Saj can carry on learning. If only Stuart Broad was fit :sad .

Re: Cricket: England vs West Indies Test Series Very odd choice i'd a rather Bresnan got a game.I'm all for having a bowler in the side that has bowled consistently on there own pitch. If he does play then maybe his left arm bowling will give different movement but i don't even think they'll play him.

Re: Cricket: England vs West Indies Test Series What's the problem with Sidebottom? He's one I've been calling for in 1 dayers with mates when at the cricket but he deserves a go in tests too. He is regularly excellent for Notts and has been for the last 3-4 years or so. Like Sharpey I don't see him playing but it would be wrong to say he doesn't deserve a call up IMO.

Very odd choice i'd a rather Bresnan got a game.I'm all for having a bowler in the side that has bowled consistently on there own pitch.
To be fair mate, Sidebottom did bowl on it for 7 years!

Re: Cricket: England vs West Indies Test Series ok a small one for tomorrow morning: Both Strauss and Cook looked in great touch in the 1st test and the Windies opening bowlers looked woeful. There's always the chance of an unplayable delivery early on, but if it stays bright and sunny there should be little movement around and I expect England to get of to a good start if they bat. Score at fall of first England wicket over 38.5 @ 5/6 (Paddy Power)

Re: Cricket: England vs West Indies Test Series Once again I'm leaving the result alone to begin with. I much rather take a punt 3/4 days in unless the weather speaks volumes a la Bangladesh vs India last week. Happy to attack the side markets again though :ok . 10pts I.Bell's Performance Pts 83&Over 10/11 Bet365 Points are scored as follows: 1pt per run, 10pts per catch & 20pts per wicket. Ian Bell is in good nick as he showed with his innings at Lord's and hit a ton here last year against Pakistan so he will have good memories of Headingley. Although the ball will do a bit Bell is technically capable of riding that. The West Indian bowlers looked impotent for the most part at Lord's and by batting at 6 Ian Bell may be perfectly placed to take advantage of a tiring attack. In 2 knocks we need him to get 83 runs which would be around his test match average however he's a decent fielder who may well take a catch or two to boost his tally. Personally I think he'll get 83 in runs but catches help and I think he'll cover this total. 10pts C.Collymore's Performance Pts 67&Over 5/6 Bet365 Points are scored as follows: 1pt per run, 10pts per catch & 20pts per wicket. Corey Collymore was up there as the best Windies bowler in the 1st test and he might well enjoy this Headingley track a bit more. He took 4 wickets at Lords and of course a repeat here sees us home nicely but it's possible that if he bats twice we may only need 3 wickets as 7 runs isn't beyond him if he swings the bat. However to be safe 4 wickets is the requirement and I'm confident Collymore will deliver them for us. 10pts D.Bravo's Performance Pts 104&Over 5/6 Bet365 Points are scored as follows: 1pt per run, 10pts per catch & 20pts per wicket. Dwayne Bravo had an excellent all round match at Lord's and covered this total by far. 3 wickets, 2 catches and 56 runs were easily enough to cover this total and you'd think he'd play more of a part in this match ie by batting twice. He's a clever bowler and a confident batsman and he's capable of building stacks of points to cover this total. His slower ball can bamboozle most, particularly tail enders and you'd think 3 wickets would be more than enough to see him safe if he bats twice. He's good enough in all 3 disciplines though to see this performance home. 10pts M.Vaughan's 1st Inns Runs Over 27.5 5/6 Blue Square Michael Vaughan is still a decent batsman despite all the injuries and the bad world cup. He averages 39.15 against the West Indies and in a test match batting at 3 I think we'll see the real Michael Vaughan again. He looked in good nick for Yorkshire until Stuart Clark busted his hand too. This isn't a one day match so Vaughan can take all the time he needs to play himself in and get going and against a pretty toothless for the most part bowling attack he should go past 27. 10pts Day 1 Highest Scoring Session - Evening Session 8/11 Blue Square Most of the overs bowled at Headingley will be bowled by seamers which will mean an extended last session of play as the over rate will be quite slow. If there are not 70 overs in the day's play then this bet is void. Of the 3 days at Lords where there were 70+ overs the evening session brought the most runs on all 3 occasions. It may well turn out that the evening session has a good 10 overs more than the other two sessions which should mean more runs. The forecast is good tomorrow so play shouldn't be curtailed and this looks a good thing. 2pts ew D.Ramdin Top West Indies Bat (1st Inns Only) 16/1 Boylesports (1/4 1,2,3) Denesh Ramdin came 2nd in the West Indies lineup at Lord's and he was 14/1 on that occasion. For some reason, despite only Shivnerine Chanderpaul outscoring him he's now up a couple of points to 16/1! Technically he's not the greatest but he feasts on width and England's bowlers have dished up plenty of that in this series so far. He's not the worst batsmen in the world and with doubts still surrounding the West Indian top order I'll take him again.

Re: Cricket: England vs West Indies Test Series OK a few bets on the second test for me: 5pts D.Bravo's Performance Pts 104&Over 5/6 Bet365 Following Kev on this one, don't think I need to add any more really, should get plenty of overs in and will probably bat twice. 5pts R.Sarwan's Performance Pts 71&Over 5/6 Bet365 Sarwan is a top class batsman who scored at a good rate at Lords before getting out, on first impression he seems to have taken the responsibility of captaincy very well also. I feel that this target is very low on batting alone and there is always a chance of a catch or even a wicket if he backs himself. 2pts West Indies to win 10/1 Bet365 Well I've been talking the Windies up for the past few weeks and it was encouraging to see the way they batted at Lords so I fancy a speculative punt on this one at these odds. The bowling I feel will improve with overs and Headingley should provide more assistance in this area and the fielding can't get any worse. England's bowling seems reliant on either Sidebottom or Anderson to come in and do something spectacular so the biggest problem is Windies taking 20 wickets - I do think though that there is a bit of value here.

Re: Cricket: England vs West Indies Test Series 7.00 in the morning and i'm sober, good god that makes a change. Right lets have a go at this one. Result 2nd Test Match-Draw 11/10 Corals 10pts With the weather set to rain on Sunday and Monday then with only a probable 3 1/2 days play it's likely to end in a draw. Both teams bowlers have failed to fire properly and although this is a swinging wicket in county cricket the Test strip is a different matter. Last year England and Pakistan both posted first innings totals of over 500 and with the quality in the batting line-ups then a few more big scores are likely.Harmison hasn't bowled well on Headingley'sTest strip,going for over 200 for 1 wicket last year and without any confidence in the last match he could be a liability here. No "6" to be hit on Day 1 Sporting Odds 4/5 10 pts With the Test strip bang in the middle of the pitch then there's no short boundaries and with 2 teams wanting to set a high score batting first then they won't be trying to give there wickets away going for big heaving shots. Top England Bowler 1st Innings Only. Ryan Sidebottom 5/1 Bet 365 2pts. They way England are talking about the team then to call Sidebottom up and go into length's about him being a left handed bowler which the Windies are not used to,leads me to think he's going to play. Sidebottom,though he has no great pace,is an accurate bowler with line and length and can constantly put the ball in places where the batsman has to make defensive shots and if the cloud cover appears then he can get the ball darting into the right handers and away from the lefties,hopefully leading to a few edges. Good Luck all who's betting today.:ok

Re: Cricket: England vs West Indies Test Series I'll take that for a 1st day. Vaughan comfortably cleared 27.5 runs and the final session was the highest scoring one as I though it would be even though only 29 overs were bowled in it. Collymore grabbed 2 wickets so he's well on course for his performance too. The only blot on the day was Bell out for 5 but there's plenty of time left for him to notch the other 78pts. +15.5pts for the test so far :ok

7.00 in the morning and i'm sober, good god that makes a change. Right lets have a go at this one. Result 2nd Test Match-Draw 11/10 Corals 10pts With the weather set to rain on Sunday and Monday then with only a probable 3 1/2 days play it's likely to end in a draw. Both teams bowlers have failed to fire properly and although this is a swinging wicket in county cricket the Test strip is a different matter. Last year England and Pakistan both posted first innings totals of over 500 and with the quality in the batting line-ups then a few more big scores are likely.Harmison hasn't bowled well on Headingley'sTest strip,going for over 200 for 1 wicket last year and without any confidence in the last match he could be a liability here. No "6" to be hit on Day 1 Sporting Odds 4/5 10 pts With the Test strip bang in the middle of the pitch then there's no short boundaries and with 2 teams wanting to set a high score batting first then they won't be trying to give there wickets away going for big heaving shots. Top England Bowler 1st Innings Only. Ryan Sidebottom 5/1 Bet 365 2pts. They way England are talking about the team then to call Sidebottom up and go into length's about him being a left handed bowler which the Windies are not used to,leads me to think he's going to play. Sidebottom,though he has no great pace,is an accurate bowler with line and length and can constantly put the ball in places where the batsman has to make defensive shots and if the cloud cover appears then he can get the ball darting into the right handers and away from the lefties,hopefully leading to a few edges. Good Luck all who's betting today.:ok
2/2 so far mate, nice picks and especially so on Sideshow Bob. Great to see KP get his 200 this time around and hats off to Moores for the Prior selection, looks a great addition to the squad. I take back what I thoguht of his call up, can't ask anymore than that. Just gutted I can't watch any of the cricket over here, not the same logging on the net to get the scores. Keep up the great work fellas.

Let's hope Sharpe doesn't make it 3/3 though ;)
:lol :lol :lol :lol It was never gonna be 3/3 after the 2nd day and it was a double edged sword,as i'd backed England to win 3-0 at the start of the series. Cheers davidmphill:ok

Re: Cricket: England vs West Indies Test Series 0/2 for the small bets this test, but the main England -2.5 still lives on! Amazingly Harmison is only 2 wickets off top England bowler! and Prior needs only 54pts more to win that bet, although Bell would now appear not to have much hope of tor batsman so not a bad test for me in all.