Basics of horse racing

I know this might not be the best time to bother everyone with this kind of stuff considering that Cheltenham is on the way, but that's what made me interested in horse racing in the first place. I've visited a couple of sites, but didn't get what I need. I went to racing post and all I found useful were the newspaper tips, but I'm not the kind of punter to just blindly follow tips. I'd lake to form my own opinion on a horse, but I'm completely clueless on what's important. I'd like to get some info on form, injuries and whatever else is useful to form my own opinion on a horse. I've found some form info on racingpost, but it's not free and I'm just a beginner so I'd like some free form info just to give it a try. Does this kind of thing exsist? Any good free horse racing guide, totorial or something? Any useful free links? Thanks:hope

Re: Basics of horse racing Nikola, you might want to ask this question again in a few days when the festival has quietened down if you dont get you answer. Racing Post is the bible of most punters, and its mainly free, only stuff like print outs and video are charged. The form is completely free although you do have to register, try username and password as 'sports', used to work, if not just register yourself. Timeform and Raceform are the best for race reading and ratings but they do cost you. Many respected good judges always say the most important thing for a horse is the GOING, it simply will not reproduce its form if it doesnt like the going. Thats a good starting point when trying to read form, there are many other things to consider, distance, course, jockey etc. It all takes experience in this type of thing, i rely an awful lot on my eyes and my memory, i watch as many races as i possibly can and make my own judgement. Stick around and learn from some bloody good judges on this forum. BH

This thread has more posts. To see them, you'll need to sign up or sign in.