Cricket: Chappell Hadlee Trophy NZ vs Aus (ODI)

Schedule February 2007
Fri 16 icon-daynight_13x11.gif 1st ODI - New Zealand v Australia Westpac Stadium, Wellington
Sun 18 2nd ODI - New Zealand v Australia Eden Park, Auckland
Tue 20 icon-daynight_13x11.gif 3rd ODI - New Zealand v Australia Seddon Park, Hamilton
Australia will be without captain Ponting and vice-captain Gilchrist for this series. Hussey will take over the captaincy whilst Haddin will takeover the wicket-keeping duties. As of yet there is no word on the NZ squad.

Re: Cricket: Chappell Hadlee Trophy NZ vs Aus (ODI)

Isn't Hussey rather inexperienced?
Internationally speaking he's not been around too long but he has a wealth of First Class experience both in Australia and in England. Unless I'm mistaken he has scored more runs in first class before making his debut than any other test player in the history of the game, so he's certainly an experienced cricketer. He actually captained Australia in the DLF Cup in Malaysia a few months back. Players like Hayden and McGrath will also be there to offer some vast experience and leadership if needed, but neither are going to be around much longer and so the selectors have looked toward the younger players when deciding the official leadership group for this series. That may sound a bit strange as Hussey is 31, but he does have a few years left in International cricket. What also works in his favour is he is an exceptionally mature and level-headed cricketer, which I'm sure is another reason for his appointment. The vice-captaincy appointment of Clarke is more of a long-term selection than Hussey, but Clarke IMO lacks the maturity to lead his country at this stage, which is I'm sure why Hussey has been made captain. Clarke's vice-captaincy appointment is more of an acknowledgement/reward for his good summer and an indication that he is thought of as an integral part of the future of the Australian team, as well as serving as incentive to continue his progression. I hope that made sense, I'm rather tired so I may have just typed something completely non-sensical

Re: Cricket: Chappell Hadlee Trophy NZ vs Aus (ODI) Stuff.co.nz -- Lee now looks highly unlikely to play any part in the three-match series in New Zealand. Lee suffered the injury while taking part in a fielding drill. He was sliding for a ball when his foot was caught in the turf, twisting his ankle. No Ponting, Gilly, Symonds, Maybe Lee, Maybe Clarke I'm Jumping on NZ at $2.53 at mansion

Re: Cricket: Chappell Hadlee Trophy NZ vs Aus (ODI) Ok doing these very early due to the PL meet. I see the 2nd ODI is an early kick off so depending on train times from Stoke where Luton are I probably won't be back for it so good luck to all who bet. Anyone following my advice here, I've got no pitch reports to go by so tread with care :ok 10pts New Zealand +2.5wickets/25.5runs Evs Bet365 New Zealand come into this series nursing their wounds at not making the CB series final in Australia. However they will want to put up a good fight with the world cup under 4 weeks away now. Australia arrive on the island without Gilchrist and Ponting and with a huge doubt surrounding Michael Clarke. New Zealand simply have to go into this at full strength as they need momentum ahead of boarding the plane to the Caribbean. They've a decent record here. They've won their last 2 and the game before that only lost to Australia by 2 runs. With all that processed away the handicap looks safe enough to me. 10pts J.Oram's Performance Pts 41&Over 5/6 Bet365 Points are scored as follows: 1pt per run, 10pts per catch & 20pts per wicket. Jacob Oram was probably the best NZ player at the CB series. He was superb with the bat and very economical with the ball. Out here on slower pitches his batting should be perfectly suited to the wickets and he's more than capable of knocking these off with the bat alone. That said he earned his reputation with his bowling which can easily pick up wickets with his height and bounce. He's no mug in the field either as Monty can elude to and really 41 should be no problem for a guy who's had succes against this opponent recently. 10pts NZ Most 6's 13/8 Bet365 Continuing the successful play of the CB series by taking on Australia in this market. NZ won every time in that series and there's no Symonds and possibly no White to slap some over the ropes here. New Zealand have plenty of big hitters in their lineup. Blue Square go Evs the pair in this market so we're definitely getting good value out of Bet365 and with it having been successful so often recently we'd be silly to neglect it so NZ most 6's it is.

Re: Cricket: Chappell Hadlee Trophy NZ vs Aus (ODI) Most 6s bet looks quite good here Kev (the bet is now jinxed). No Gilchrist either which is a bonus. Oram is a huge hitter and if he makes any runs then I'm sure he'll score a few sixes along the way. So far I've gone for: 10pts Shane Bond 40+pts @ 1.72 If it wasn't for Shane Bond I'd have given up cricket betting a long time ago. Two wickets is all we need here. He's played Aus in ODIs 8 times and taken 2 wickets or more 7 times. He's played at Westpac 3 times and taken 2+ wickets on 2 of those 3 occassions. He opens the bowling and also closes it, so he's in at the right times. Statistics here are great and the man is a legend, so increased stake here. Considered the Oram bet but he doesn't seem to be in wicket taking form and I'd be concerned that it'd need to be a batting performance only (he's bound to score 100 now :ok). Might make a play for Styris, who has a pretty good record here. Whether Shane Watson opens or not will be interesting too. Might also try a spread bet for this one if I can open up an account.

Re: Cricket: Chappell Hadlee Trophy NZ vs Aus (ODI) my natural instinct says Australia to win a cricket match @ 4/6 looks good whatever the circumstances. After oosing to England in the CB series they will be keen to make amends... what's the latest injury news down under?? and how strong is Australia's bowling attack going to be? I have no qualms about their batting.

Re: Cricket: Chappell Hadlee Trophy NZ vs Aus (ODI) I'm on the kiwi's handicap of +2.5 wickets/25.5 runs at bet365 for 25 pts Brett Lee is out after rolling his ankle, he is thier best attacking bowler in my mind ,and no no ponting or gilcrest, this with the kiwis on home turf and after being booted out of the CB finals by England will be looking to leave for the world cup on a high note. All the best guys! Flemming is under big pressure here at the moment and will want the win from his guys to take the heat off him in the media.

Re: Cricket: Chappell Hadlee Trophy NZ vs Aus (ODI) Shaun Tait will fly over for the remaining games as cover for Brett Lee. I imagine Bracken, Pigeon and Mitchell Johnson will form the core of our bowling attack with Watson the fourth seamer and Hogg to bowl the rest of the overs. Additional bets for me 5pts NZ Most 6s @ 2.60 TAB Kev summed this one up pretty well. No Gilchrist and Symonds who were big 6 canditates. The absence of Lee could even help as he can clear the ropes. 5pts Matthew Hayden to score a 50 @ 3 Centrebet Hayden has scored a fifty in both his games at Westpac. No Ponting or Gilchrist puts extra responsibility onto his shoulders and I am confident that he will rise to the challenge.

Re: Cricket: Chappell Hadlee Trophy NZ vs Aus (ODI) No Michael Clarke today. Jacques has come in and will open with Hayden. Australia 1 Matthew Hayden, 2 Phil Jaques, 3 Brad Haddin (wk), 4 Brad Hodge, 5 Michael Hussey (capt), 6 Cameron White, 7 Shane Watson, 8 Brad Hogg, 9 Nathan Bracken, 10 Mitchell Johnson, 11 Glenn McGrath. New Zealand 1 Stephen Fleming (capt), 2 Lou Vincent, 3 Ross Taylor, 4 Scott Styris, 5 Craig McMillan, 6 Jacob Oram, 7 Brendon McCullum (wk), 8 Daniel Vettori, 9 Shane Bond, 10 Mark Gillespie, 11 Daryl Tuffey. New Zealand won the toss and have elected to field first. A fairly positive result as Bond, Styris and Hayden bets should be better served. I genuinely prefer the team I bet on for most sixes to be in first though.

Re: Cricket: Chappell Hadlee Trophy NZ vs Aus (ODI) NZ bowl Australia out for 148. Shane Bond took 5 wickets including a fantastic caught and bowled - couldn't have happened to a nicer person :). In what is perhaps more significant news, Jacob Oram left the field after taking a catch to dismiss Mitchell Johnson. It appeared as though he took a catch fingers up, but one of his fingers was bent and the ball landed on one of his knuckles. Hopefully for him and NZ he will be okay for the World Cup, but his personal reaction wasn't promising. Hopefully NZ can hit a six in their batting innings, but I wont hold my breath.

Re: Cricket: Chappell Hadlee Trophy NZ vs Aus (ODI) Fleming hits a six! Australia scored none in their innings so that is the NZ most sixes bet home. Well done to Kev who called that one nicely. I can't see Styris making 40 runs so that's my game over. 2/5 correct but a small profit of 5.2pts on the game which I'm quite happy with as I've been struggling for match performance of late. Looks like Kev will get 2/3 as well so it's been a pretty decent day.

Most 6s bet looks quite good here Kev (the bet is now jinxed). No Gilchrist either which is a bonus. Oram is a huge hitter and if he makes any runs then I'm sure he'll score a few sixes along the way. So far I've gone for: 10pts Shane Bond 40+pts @ 1.72 If it wasn't for Shane Bond I'd have given up cricket betting a long time ago. Two wickets is all we need here. He's played Aus in ODIs 8 times and taken 2 wickets or more 7 times. He's played at Westpac 3 times and taken 2+ wickets on 2 of those 3 occassions. He opens the bowling and also closes it, so he's in at the right times. Statistics here are great and the man is a legend, so increased stake here. Considered the Oram bet but he doesn't seem to be in wicket taking form and I'd be concerned that it'd need to be a batting performance only (he's bound to score 100 now :ok). Might make a play for Styris, who has a pretty good record here. Whether Shane Watson opens or not will be interesting too. Might also try a spread bet for this one if I can open up an account.
:clap mate - used this bet for your tips, my money thread :ok looks like you enjoyed the match, from a betting perspective anyway :loon:clap

:clap mate - used this bet for your tips, my money thread :ok looks like you enjoyed the match, from a betting perspective anyway :loon:clap
Happy to be of service. Was a pretty decent result for me. Shane Bond has won me a lot of money in recent weeks. I hope your thread continues to prosper :hope
I really hope you got that spread bet on crouchy!!! fortunately I didn't bet on this game, i'm sure I'd have taken Australia if I had.
Nah, I didn't, which turns out ok in the end, as I was only really looking at Hussey ton or bust. Will still look to get it open before the World Cup though :ok The next game is on Sunday, around 8am my time. EPL 5:15 games are 3:15am my time, so that should make it around Saturday 10pm UK time.

Re: Cricket: Chappell Hadlee Trophy NZ vs Aus (ODI) I said a while back that Tait was a poor selection and that he was a big liability. I wish to retract that statement - poor is far too kind to him. His bowling today was nothing short of horrendous. He made Tremlett look like some sort of superhero today. Australia are no longer a dominant figure of cricket - they have well and truly come back to the pack and IMO wont be going back to the top anytime soon. Our bowling stocks are alarmingly low in talent and suitability to One Day Cricket and this will be quite evident in the World Cup.

Re: Cricket: Chappell Hadlee Trophy NZ vs Aus (ODI) My big problem with Tait is he is a waste of 2 bowlers. By that, I mean McGrath. Pigeon's real strength in ODIs is his incredible economy and ability to create wickets by building pressure on opposition teams. When you have somebody like Tait following up a spell by McGrath batsman can just see off Pigeon knowing that a plethora of runs is about to be served off. I know this is true in all bowling partnerships, but when you are talking about someone like McGrath this becomes much more significant IMO. If Brett Lee is unable to play as well, there will be real problems. I think Bracken is a very good ODI bowler but if he is part of a poor bowling attack then he will be pushed around for singles and the opposition will just wait for the easier bowlers. Johnson is very much a momentum bowler IMO. If the team is going well he generally goes well too, but the same applies when travelling poorly. As for Hogg, I wont pass comment as he has been stupidly denied cricket by our selectors, but I found his lack of variation and flight today to be quiet alarming. If we have to use Hogg, Johnson, Tait and god forbid Cameron White to bowl 30 overs, we are a very very ordinary bowling attack.

Re: Cricket: Chappell Hadlee Trophy NZ vs Aus (ODI) An honourable mention to Shane Watson though. He bowled quite well today and complimented McGrath's pressure quite nicely. He's a pretty decent ODI bowler on his day but he needs to work on his consistancy. Too many of our bowlers are either inconsistant or in White and Tait's case, crap, which brings us back to the field. We are still a good shout to win the World Cup, but at the current price the only possible action is to lay, as there is only one way I can see that price moving atm.

NZ v AUS 3rd ODI The New Zealand team has been named: Shane Bond and Daniel Vettori have been left out of the team through slight injuries. - These are NZ's best bowlers by a long way and there is no two ways about it, this will cripple the NZ bowling attack. New Zealand: Stephen Fleming (captain), Lou Vincent, Peter Fulton, Ross Taylor, Scott Styris, Craig McMillan, Brendon McCullum, James Franklin, Daryl Tuffey, Jeetan Patel, Mark Gillespie (12th man to be named). New Zealand will struggle with only 4 bowlers again, in the last game the part timers went for 100 off just 11 overs (Styris, McMillan and Vincent) 10pts Australia H2H at $1.83 (betfred) Hayden was really looking to go after Tuffey in the last game walking down the pitch frequently (his 4 overs in 1st spell went for 28) , with no bond at the other end to keep the runs down, i believe Australia will fully take advantage of the powerplays..

2.1Tuffey to Hayden, FOUR, Hayden steps down and lofts over mid-on and the fielder gets his hands up but the ball sails over him
2.2Tuffey to Hayden, FOUR, Hayden goes over mid-off this time! gives the walk to the bowler and the elevation is even higher
10pts Highest first 10 overs score Australia at $1.83 (bet365) EDIT: As Scott the legendary NZ punter suggests: take Highest first 15 over total as its less of a gamble (stanjames) $1.83 Should be an interesting game