** April Poker League Result : 1st Like2Fish, 2nd McG, 3rd andybell666 **

Rugby League: Super League XII - Round 1

Re: Rugby League: Super League XII - Round 1

12-12 at the KC. Ive got a feeling that Catalans may well not be the canon fodder of old this season. They sound like a more solid outfit with their new signings this season. Its close this one.
And this is without S Jones and Fakir......;)

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Rugby League: Super League XII - Round 1 FT 10-10 No Jones but the boy maguire sounds a bit handy. Apparently Hull were outmuscled in the forwards today so it didnt look like Fakir was missed either. Im going to have to see them in action before I commit any funds on them though. Whose going to win Super League this year is anyones guess. Its looking very competitive early doors in round 1. An intriguing opening round. Looking to invest myself next round. Opposing Bradford and Hull could be profitable on this showing. I await the handicaps.

Whose going to win Super League this year is anyones guess. Its looking very competitive early doors in round 1. An intriguing opening round. Looking to invest myself next round. Opposing Bradford and Hull could be profitable on this showing. I await the handicaps.
A very competitive set of results indeed.....difficult to predict who is going to win the damn thing, would still have to favour Saints despite their slip up. Looking forward to your thoughts next week Henry....Im in Prague from Thursday pm (country hopping again) so will have to place my bets (if any) early doors! :ok

FT 10-10 No Jones but the boy maguire sounds a bit handy. Apparently Hull were outmuscled in the forwards today so it didnt look like Fakir was missed either. Im going to have to see them in action before I commit any funds on them though. Whose going to win Super League this year is anyones guess. Its looking very competitive early doors in round 1. An intriguing opening round. Looking to invest myself next round. Opposing Bradford and Hull could be profitable on this showing. I await the handicaps.
McGuire was always a handy player in the NRL. He's pretty versatile and he's got a good footy brain on him. He's not bursting with talent but I imagine he'd be pretty good in England, particularly for a club like Catalans. Catalans' other signings are pretty strong too; Mogg played State of Origin and is quite a solid player who can find the line. Greenshields is a steady, safe fullback who I'm sure will do well in England. Croker was a fantastic servant for the Raiders and I'm sure his workrate and experience will be a tremendous asset to any Super League side. I really rate Aaron Gorrell too (did he play?). He's a very hard worker and would often make 40+ tackles a game in the NRL. Quite a handy goalkicker as well - kicked a sideline conversion to defeat my team :spank

McGuire was always a handy player in the NRL. He's pretty versatile and he's got a good footy brain on him. He's not bursting with talent but I imagine he'd be pretty good in England, particularly for a club like Catalans. Catalans' other signings are pretty strong too; Mogg played State of Origin and is quite a solid player who can find the line. Greenshields is a steady, safe fullback who I'm sure will do well in England. Croker was a fantastic servant for the Raiders and I'm sure his workrate and experience will be a tremendous asset to any Super League side. I really rate Aaron Gorrell too (did he play?). He's a very hard worker and would often make 40+ tackles a game in the NRL. Quite a handy goalkicker as well - kicked a sideline conversion to defeat my team :spank
Cheers for that Croach Potato, thats top info on their new signings :ok Yes, I believe Gorrell did play....along with the other signings. Cracking result for them. They play Wigan at home next weekend, a fixture they won last season. Could be worth a dabble....we'll have to wait and see!

Gorrell was on goalkicking duty today. It sounds like Catalans have put together a real bunch of competent performers. If only Id known that pre match.:( I did not fancy Hull at all to be at their fluent best without Cooke. Id have backed any other side but Catalans today. Too much of an unknown quantity. Thanks for your input CP. Its certainly shed a bit of light on the quality of Cats new NRL imports.

Re: Rugby League: Super League XII - Round 1 No probs :okAll the guys they signed were at the very least decent players in the NRL, and being the best league, they are more than likely to show a similar or greater level of performance. Most of those signings are pretty young too - Croker is really the only player who I'd say is past his best, but he has well over 250 NRL games of experience which can be just as useful an asset to a team. Not familiar with Catalans but I would imagine that if they have some decent props in their squad that they could put in a reasonable showing. Not knowing the qualities of their other players, nor the majority of the other teams, I wouldn't really want to predict how well they would go, but suffice to say they should be a better team this year. Hopefully we'll all be able to pick out a few winners from this upcoming WCC :hope

Re: Rugby League: Super League XII - Round 1 Engage Super League Table 11 February 2007

TeamP PD PTS
1Harlequins RL182
2Warrington162
3Hull K R152
4Leeds142
5Bradford142
6St Helens202
7Catalans Dragons101
8Hull101
9Salford1-40
10Wakefield1-50
11Wigan1-60
12Huddersfield2-120
:nana :cow :nana :cow :nana :cow :nana :cow :nana :cow

Engage Super League Table 11 February 2007
TeamP PD PTS
1Harlequins RL182
2Warrington162
3Hull K R152
4Leeds142
5Bradford142
6St Helens202
7Catalans Dragons101
8Hull101
9Salford1-40
10Wakefield1-50
11Wigan1-60
12Huddersfield2-120
:nana :cow :nana :cow :nana :cow :nana :cow :nana :cow
Eheheheheh, :lol you must be loving that mate!

Stupid question I know' date=' but you guys do golden point over there?[/quote'] Hi Crouch Potato, Nope, no golden point over in the ESL........;) By the way, who is your fancy for the NRL this year? How do you rate the Titans chances in their inaugural season? Their full back Richard Mathers joins them from Leeds Rhinos, is a pretty handy player who should improve down under.

Hi Crouch Potato, Nope, no golden point over in the ESL........;) By the way, who is your fancy for the NRL this year? How do you rate the Titans chances in their inaugural season? Their full back Richard Mathers joins them from Leeds Rhinos, is a pretty handy player who should improve down under.
Personally I'm not a fan of golden point, but that's because I've had numerous bets ruined by it, including a pick the score bet which was probably worth over 2k! For this coming season, I most fancy my team, Brisbane, as well as last year's runners up Melbourne. The great thing about Melbourne is that they are team that seems to function fully as a team outfit without any great reliance on any one individual. Guys like Cooper Cronk, Cameron Smith, Greg Inglis etc. all work so well together. None of them is a real chief like Andrew Johns or Darren Lockyer but the way they all work together is quite brilliant. Last year they lacked a bit of experience and I think that showed. They were definitely the best team last year though, and despite a couple of player losses they should be there again come September. As for the Titans, they have had quite a few difficulties so far and it is hard to say how they will respond. They had signed Storm back Steve Turner, but at the end of last season he wanted to back out - a problem that was complicated by that fact his agreement was verbal and not a written contract. The case was only resolved in the last month, with the Titans agreeing to let him stay in Melbourne in exchange for two youth players. Additionally, Irish winger Brian Carney, who was set to play for them this year backed out of his deal to return home and finish his education. They have however signed ex-Cronulla and Wallabies convert Mat Rogers, which will should be a good signing. Their halves are very good too (Scott Prince and Preston Campbell), but their forward pack looks a little weak to me. Only Luke Bailey stands out as a strong player. They have the potential to challenge for a top 8 spot, but it's obviously quite hard to tell with a new season, particularly with a new team. I'd be surprised if they made the 8 though, and I certainly wouldn't expect them to challenge for major honours.