Cricket: NZ vs Sri Lanka Test Series

A 2 match test series gets underway Wednesday evening UK time and for UK residents is live on Sky Sports. Series Odds

Best odds/All oddsv15.gifv6004.gifv2.gifv3.gifv6018.gifv401.gif
New Zealand1.831.81.661.721.831.7
Draw2.872.75332.753.1
Sri Lanka4.555.5555.5
10pts NZ vs SL Drawn Test Series 2/1 Ladbrokes 2 very evenly matched, well coached and well led sides do battle in the Southern Hemisphere in what looks an intriguing series of Test Cricket. Slightly overshadowed by The Ashes but none the less this will be a tight competitive series. New Zealand have recalled opening batsman Matthew Sinclair to their squad for the 1st test to baulk up their batting a bit. Domestically he's been playing well and has earnt his recall. Lots will depend on Fleming and Astle with the bat as they look to take a fairly inexperienced batting lineup through this series. Their bowling looks strong though, that's assuming Shane Bond is fit for the series. If he is then the attack will consist of Bond, Oram, Martin, Franklin and Vettori which does the job. Sri Lanka come to NZ in good form and have really took to Mahela Jayawardene's captaincy. He's a class act and alongside Kumar Sangakkara in the batting order, you feel Sri Lanka are destined to score lots of runs, particularly when Jayasuriya and Tharanga are included. It's Sri Lanka's bowling that has really come on over the last 12 months though. Murali and Vaas have always been superb performers at this level but now they are sufficiently backed up by the ever able Lasith Malinga and Farveez Maharoof with Dilhara Fernando on the outskirts. This 2 game series looks like being really tight. As I said both sides are fairly evenly matched and the edge Sri lanka get in the 2 sides strength and quality is negated by NZ being at home. Of the 11 tests played in NZ between these 2, no fewer than 5 have been draws. The pitches in New Zealand tend to last the full 5 days and with both sides able to bat right down to number 9 I can quite easily see this series ending as it begins - all square. 3pts Correct Score 0-0 5/1 Bet365 As I've said in my series preview these 2 sides are evenly matched and both play good, hard, gritty cricket these days. The pitches in New Zealand are perfectly fine thanks to the drop in system they use and rain isn't out of the question at this time of the year. Both sides bat right the way down to number 9. 1st innings will be crucial in the series and I can see both sides racking up a few runs while the pitches are good and in the 2 game series an opportunity for either side to gain the initiative maynot be forthcoming. 2 draws would not be out of the question and I'm happy to back 0-0 here.

Re: Cricket: NZ vs Sri Lanka Test Series 1 more series bet before I get onto the 1st test. 10pts S.Fleming Top NZ Series bat 5/2 Ladbrokes Stephen Fleming is a class act, and seems to enjoy playing against Sri Lanka. He's made over 1000 test match runs against Sri Lanka in 11 test matches at an average of 68, which included a knock of 274* in Colombo 3 years ago. Fleming was the main stay of the Kiwi batting in the recent Champions Trophy and with the hosts being without Scott Styris and choosing not to pick Lou Vincent for this series lots will depend on Stephen Fleming and Nathan Astle. Fleming though is a captain that leads from the front and when his country needs him he nearly always produces. The skipper to top score for me.

Re: Cricket: NZ vs Sri Lanka Test Series Ok. 1st test begins at 9.30 UK time this evening. Match prices are pretty much spot on given the forecast for rain so I'm leaving the outright match to begin with and going with side bets. New Zealand were dealt a bit of a blow on the eve of the game when seamer Michael Mason was ruled out with injury. That means the last spot in their side will go to either James Franklin or Iain O'Brien with whoever getting selected partnering Shane Bond with the new ball. Stephen Fleming and Nathan Astle will be heavy relied upon with the bat as those around them in the batting order are very inexperienced at this level. Oram and McCullum can provide good resistance down the order though. Sri Lanka come into the game full of confidence, all of their top 4 scored at least a half century in the warmup game with Upul Tharanga turning his into a century. Interestingly Vaas and Murali never played in that game so it will be interesting to see if they are a little rusty. Their side pretty much picks itself and I expect them to go in with the same side that played South Africa last time out in test cricket. Rain is forecast on day 3 of the match but the pitch looks like a batsman's dream as these drop in pitches tend to be however later in the match the spinners could come into play. I think it's important NZ win the toss because I wouldn't want to be facing Murali on day 5 here. Onto the bets. 10pts S.Jayasuriya's Performance Pts 92&Over 5/6 Bet365 Points are scored as follows: 1pt per run, 10pts per catch & 20pts per wicket. Sanath Jayasuriya is still one of the best players in the world and if anything is getting better as he has added his bowling to his game. He used to bowl part time but now I think it can be classed as full time spin and it's very effective. He remains a key batsman for Sri Lanka too and when he's on song is simply impossible to bowl too. He likes fast, bouncy pitches and he's got that here. Take Shane Bond out of the attack and this is a fairly mundane attack he's facing and I expect him to score some runs in this game to build on his 80 odd in the warmup game. Being 37 he's not so mobile in the field so he fields close to the bat so if he can pick up any catches that will be a Brucie bonus. 10pts K.Sangakkara's Performance Pts 102&Over 5/6 Bet365 Points are scored as follows: 1pt per run, 10pts per catch & 25pts per wicket. Kumar Sangakkara is a classy batsman, one of the better batsmen in World cricket today and has a superb test record. He averages over 50 for his test career which is remarkable given that he keeps wicket too. He's a clever batsman who never goes beyond his boundaries and is tricky to get out once he's in. It's not confirmed that he'll keep wicket here but if he does he will ultimately take a catch or two which helps the total but if he doesn't he'll still field close enough to the bat to have the opportunity to take some catches but this bet is all about his batting and I think he'll cover. 10pts Sri Lanka (+30.5runs) 1st Innings Lead 10/11 Sporting Odds When you pitch the 2 batting lineup's next to other Sri Lanka's is clearly stronger and better. All of Sri Lanka's batsmen are in form and with NZ's attack not being the strongest in world cricket I think they can build up the sort of 1st innings which is needed for a platform in the match. Whether that's enough to lead at halfway I'm not sure but at worst I think they'll stay within 30 runs of the home side. 1pt ew D.Vettori Top NZ Bat 20/1 Boylesports (1/4 1,2,3) Daniel Vettori is a very underrated batsman lower down the order and I'm quite surprised by his price here. New Zealand are not going into this match with the strongest of batting lineup's - indeed 3 key players for them with the bat - Vincent, Styris and Marshall are all missing here so big top order runs is not a certainty. Daniel Vettori has 2 test match centuries to his name and often scores valuable runs down the order for the Kiwi's. If his top order fail he's comes right into play in this market and if they don't he's still capable of nailing a spot in the top 3. He's well worth a small stake.

Re: Cricket: NZ vs Sri Lanka Test Series Erm, this test hasn't started to well :sad . Sri Lanka were 30/3 with Jayasuriya out for 5 and Sangakkara out for 4. Lots of work to do for them to get their performances in. Hopefully Jayasuriya can get a wicket or two to get him back on track. Going to need a big 2nd inns for Sangakkara. 71/3 now though so Sri Lanka are making a recovery.

Re: Cricket: NZ vs Sri Lanka Test Series Daniel Vettori saved my bollocks there. He top scored to bring the 20/1 shot in. Sangakkara is 35 runs away from his performance but will be asking a lot to get there with only Malinga the slinga and Murali for company but I've seen stranger things take place on a cricket pitch. Series bets are up and down. Only Vettori outscored Fleming who may bat 2nd time round. Vettori won't. However there will deffo be a winner here in some shape or form and so that's the 0-0 gone and possibly the draw too although SL, like England in Oz, will come on for the run.

Re: Cricket: NZ vs Sri Lanka Test Series I watched quite a lot of the 1st test, so I though I might have a dabble in a couple of performance bets, which I am particularly fond of :tongue2 Jacob Oram under 110 @ 1.83 Bet365 10 pts Jacob Oram didn’t impress me too much in the 1st test and I am willing to take him on again here. With the bat, he looked dodgy against both pace and spin, especially the spin of Murali. Theres no doubt again that he will have to negotiate the dangerous spinner in this match on a regular basis. I just cant see him getting a big score in either innings so he will rely more on his bowling and fielding for points. He can bowl quite well, and showed signs in Christchurch, but I doubt whether he can pick up more than 2-3 in the match. A line of 110 is just to big IMO and I cant see him covering it. Unless he really raises his game, especially batting, then this bet should be a winner. Mahewla Jayawardene 83 and over @ 1.83 Bet365 10 pts Mahela Jayawadene is a class player, but he failed to produce the goods in the 1st test match. The captain is sure to want to lead by example in this game though and I can see him getting some decent scores. In most series, he eventually adapts and gets himself some runs. I heard that this this Wellington pitch is not normally renowned for being a run feast, and that graft might be the best way to get scores on the board. This sort of style which might suit Mahela and he’s a player of fine ability. He will be annoyed about at least 1 of his dismissals in Christchurch, eager to get back on track here. The line he has to cover is 83, and I think it’s a bit low for a batsman of his quality. I’m pretty sure he can deliver the goods for me.

Re: Cricket: NZ vs Sri Lanka Test Series After the profit of the 1st test, time to get going in the 2nd test which begins tonight at 9.30 and is live on Sky Sports 1 as a nice prelude to the action in Perth. 10pts Sri Lanka to win 2nd Test 4/1 Boylesports Sri Lanka come into this match 1-0 down having to win to level the series. New Zealand won in Christchurch but were far from convincing. The aftermath of that game and the lead up to this game has focused all around the run out of Murali in Sri Lanka's 2nd innings at Christchurch. It seemed unsporting, a view held by Sri Lanka's captained, obviously whereas Fleming disagreed. Interestingly though, Fleming was the one to reignite that run out leading up to this match. That may give Sri Lanka the motivation they need, if they needed any motivating. New Zealand have named the same squad for this match, it's highly likely it will be the same XI too. Although they won in Christchurch, as I say they were far from convincing. They never looked at ease with the bat and it was only Sri Lanka's rustiness and Jayawardene's bizarre decision to bat 1st that enabled the Kiwi's to win that match. They bowled well in the game with Shane Bond taking the baulk of the wickets but have to improve with the bat. Sri Lanka may well make a change to their side. Kapugedera coming in at 5 is a no no so I would expect Tillekeratne Dilshan to come into the side, most probably for Chamara Silva to extend their batting, particularly if Jayawardene jnr is going to keep wicket again. Vaas and Murali are always likely to take wickets and on this drop in pitch I see no exception here, particularly against a weak NZ batting lineup. The pitch is a drop in pitch as they tend to be around NZ and will have a bit of moisture and movement on day 1. It's a win the toss and bowl 1st decision as now side batting 1st have won here since the turn of the century. I'm prepared to forgive Sri Lanka's poor performance in the 1st Test as like England in Australia, they'd had litle preparation. They should be more on the ball now though and with them having by far the stronger batting lineup I'm taking Sri Lanka despite the threat of rain. 10pts Sri Lanka +39.5 runs 1st Inns Lead 5/6 Sporting Odds Although they didn't get going in the 1st test, Sri Lanka's top 4 have runs in them, and big runs at that. Take Stephen Fleming out of New Zealand's side and do they? I'm not so sure. I was proved correct in the 1st Test when Vettori top scored and was the only batsman to pass 50 for the Kiwi's. I can't believe that the likes of Tharanga, Jayasuriya and Jayawardene will all miss out again in this match, particularly with the series on the line. Dilshan coming into the side will provide more runs and I can't see Sri Lanka not staying within 40 of NZ 1st time round. 10pts D.Vettori's Performance Pts Under 102 5/6 Bet365 Points are scored as follows: 1pt per run, 10pts per catch, 20pts per wicket. Daniel Vettori doesn't have a great record at Wellington, he's not got more than 2 wickets here in his last 3 tests and no more than 40 runs either. I can't see him getting much bowling in here either, conditions will be seam orientated and with NZ likely to have 5 seamers in their side with Astle it's perfectly possible that Vettori won't bowl more than 10 overs in the entire match. He's in good nick with the bat having made 63 in the 1st Test but he's not a batsman, he's a bowler who can bat and he can't be relied upon to score lots of runs, that would just be a bonus for NZ and horrible for me! I don't think he'll play a big enough part in the match to warrant such a high total so I'm on the under. 10pts C.Vaas' Performance Pts 110&Over 5/6 Bet365 Chaminda Vaas is a class act, a real class act and these seam and swing conditions suit him perfectly. He took 5 wickets in Christchurch and 5 more here wouldn't surprise me. It would certainly bring this bet in. As well as being a wicket taker he's also handy with the bat. Expecting lots of runs is foolish but he can certainly chip away at this total with the bat. For a cricketer of his quality this total isn't too high and I think he'll cover it. 3pts ew C.Kapugedera Top Sri Lankan Bat 10/1 Boylesports (1/4 1,2,3) This is a 1st inns bet only. Kapugedera top scored in the 1st inns at Christchurch and is capable of doing so again. He's trying to make a name for himself in this Sri Lankan side and establish himself in it, in order to do that he's going to need to score runs, and lots of them. He's an out and out batsman and with Sri Lanka not having too many of them this price is just silly. If the top 4 for Sri Lanka fail to turn up then Kapugedera is in the game, even if they do he could still be a threat. At the very worst though I think he'll make the top 3.

Re: Cricket: NZ vs Sri Lanka Test Series

I watched quite a lot of the 1st test, so I though I might have a dabble in a couple of performance bets, which I am particularly fond of :tongue2 Jacob Oram under 110 @ 1.83 Bet365 10 pts Jacob Oram didn’t impress me too much in the 1st test and I am willing to take him on again here. With the bat, he looked dodgy against both pace and spin, especially the spin of Murali. Theres no doubt again that he will have to negotiate the dangerous spinner in this match on a regular basis. I just cant see him getting a big score in either innings so he will rely more on his bowling and fielding for points. He can bowl quite well, and showed signs in Christchurch, but I doubt whether he can pick up more than 2-3 in the match. A line of 110 is just to big IMO and I cant see him covering it. Unless he really raises his game, especially batting, then this bet should be a winner. Mahewla Jayawardene 83 and over @ 1.83 Bet365 10 pts Mahela Jayawadene is a class player, but he failed to produce the goods in the 1st test match. The captain is sure to want to lead by example in this game though and I can see him getting some decent scores. In most series, he eventually adapts and gets himself some runs. I heard that this this Wellington pitch is not normally renowned for being a run feast, and that graft might be the best way to get scores on the board. This sort of style which might suit Mahela and he’s a player of fine ability. He will be annoyed about at least 1 of his dismissals in Christchurch, eager to get back on track here. The line he has to cover is 83, and I think it’s a bit low for a batsman of his quality. I’m pretty sure he can deliver the goods for me.
Blimey you have caught the cricket betting bug haven't you matey! Best of luck with these 2 :ok

Blimey you have caught the cricket betting bug haven't you matey! Best of luck with these 2 :ok
aye its highly infectious Kev ol boy. 1 winner and suddenly I'm after more, to keep the momentum going :tongue2 . Good luck to your bets as well :hope :hope :hope :hope

I watched quite a lot of the 1st test, so I though I might have a dabble in a couple of performance bets, which I am particularly fond of :tongue2 Jacob Oram under 110 @ 1.83 Bet365 10 pts Jacob Oram didn’t impress me too much in the 1st test and I am willing to take him on again here. With the bat, he looked dodgy against both pace and spin, especially the spin of Murali. Theres no doubt again that he will have to negotiate the dangerous spinner in this match on a regular basis. I just cant see him getting a big score in either innings so he will rely more on his bowling and fielding for points. He can bowl quite well, and showed signs in Christchurch, but I doubt whether he can pick up more than 2-3 in the match. A line of 110 is just to big IMO and I cant see him covering it. Unless he really raises his game, especially batting, then this bet should be a winner.
I really like the look of this one Meatman ,im on it as well, all the best with that mate! :hope You to Kev, good to see you winning on regular occasion! keep it up :ok

Neither of us wanted that Oram wicket :sad .
Chin up lads, that only puts him on 20 pts, hes a long way off it yet, we just have to hope that he dosen't get a crack at the tail enders when they come round. It ain't over till the fat lady sings!

Chin up lads' date=' that only puts him on 20 pts, hes a long way off it yet, we just have to hope that he dosen't get a crack at the tail enders when they come round. It ain't over till the fat lady sings![/quote'] He's not going to bowl anymore today as he's tweaked a hamstring. That happened too late for my Kapugedera bet but very much helps Meaty's performance bet. SL have recovered from a sticky start nicely here, Silva lived a charm life but played a delightful little innings to gove the very impressive Sangakkara good support.

Re: Cricket: NZ vs Sri Lanka Test Series Oram is injured :nana :nana :nana :nana he wont bowl in this innings anymore and i doubt he will in the 2nd either. The only worry now is if he gets some runs, which I really can't see. good news is this Sangakarra has played a class innings and Silva a lovely knock, although slightly charmed.

Oram is injured :nana :nana :nana :nana he wont bowl in this innings anymore and i doubt he will in the 2nd either. The only worry now is if he gets some runs, which I really can't see. good news is this Sangakarra has played a class innings and Silva a lovely knock, although slightly charmed.
Does this void the bet meatman ??.....or is it still on ??...

It's still a runner mate. Just a nice stroke of luck. Without wishing ill on anyone' date=' I could do with a similar fate falling Vettori's way![/quote'] yeh its not looking too good as regards to Vettori at the moment. Still a long way to go though, and he might have 3 shocking innings

yeh its not looking too good as regards to Vettori at the moment. Still a long way to go though' date=' and he might have 3 shocking innings[/quote'] :hope Oram's injury could be good for my 1st Inns handicap bet so every cloud and silver lining's and all that!

Re: Cricket: NZ vs Sri Lanka Test Series What a day's test cricket that was. Excellent and gripping stuff from start to finish. Sri Lanka's day without doubt, thanks to Sangakkara and Malinga. Having made 268 in their innings, Sri Lanka have reduced NZ to 66/4 in their 1st inns so it's looking good for the SL win and SL 1st inns bets. My performances aren't looking great yet but you never know, I'm stil confident Vaas can reach his target though. Roll on day 2 :ok

Re: Cricket: NZ vs Sri Lanka Test Series I have been regarde this match with interest. I think Sri Lanka will win the test match now. They have good bowlers and New Zealand have a bad standard of general player. I looked at your suggestions Kevshat and bet. ;) :dude