Hellmuth - Play Poker Like The Pros

Jaded

Re: Hellmuth - Play Poker Like The Pros love it, cost my $35 and paid for itself first night I had it. Read it for an hour on the ship home from work, and started taking a more agressive attitude to rasing at the flop. Paid for the book in .05/.10 limit game that evening

Re: Hellmuth - Play Poker Like The Pros Actually his...... volatile temperament makes it even more impressive that he manages to overcome the natural tilt aspect of his persona in order to play good poker. Although he claims that he left the brat at home during the WSoP this year and played better without him. He was even gracious in defeat when he got outdrawn when heads up on the f-table which had he won would have given him his 10th bracelet.

Re: Hellmuth - Play Poker Like The Pros I can only really remember the holdem section properly (I tried to blank this book from my memory) but I honestly think it's one of the worst books out there. I think Phil is a fantastic player, but what he has can't really be taught - he plays far more by instinct and reading people. On that note - if you're after a good hi/lo book then I found Mike Cappaletti's 'How to win at Omaha High-Low Poker' a very worthwhile read.

Re: Hellmuth - Play Poker Like The Pros I read some of Hellmuth's book (the bits on Holdem) when I was just starting to play poker. I found it extremely irritating in parts, very arrogant and patronizing. At that time I didn't know much about Hellmuth, but I just reread some of it, and now that I know more about how arrogant and patronizing he is in real life, it doesn't seem so bad! Still don't really like the book, though.

Re: Hellmuth - Play Poker Like The Pros I've been reading the chapters on different games (razz, 7-card stud, stud high-low, etc.) and I like them a LOT better than the hold'em chapters. I'm not qualified to comment on how good the advice is, but too often beginners' guides tell you not to worry your pretty little head about the things the experts think about. But what I want from a beginners' guide, as well as some pointers to the basics of play, is some kind of hint about the finer points that make the game interesting, even if it's going to take me a while to incorporate them into my game, and I think Hellmuth does this quite well in these chapters. I could do without some of the irrelevant anecdotes, though ("When I was playing in [glamorous location] against [former world champion and household name] for [more money than you'll ever see at a poker table] ...").