GaF

Backgammon Tourney - Time to get rolling  

1. 1.

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Backgammon Tourney - Sign up here

GaF' date=' when you make it to p67 of the new Inside Edge, there's a article on backgammon and an ad across the bottom for GameAccount.com which I think is suggesting they do freerolls (although it does mention gin rummy and BJ)[/quote']Just had a look and I've registered, but I need to make a deposit in order to play in any freerolls.

Re: Backgammon Tourney - Sign up here The poker site doing the gammon night live games have a load of freerolls scheduled too :ok (worldgammon.com) Have read the IE article - they suggest it's essential that you pick a site that verifies that someone doesn't make too many snowey (i.e. Bot "perfect") plays - cos if they don't people will use Snowey and beat you every time :sad I'd also say - be very wary of online ratings too - they're a load of rubbish - I have successfully manipulated my rating - I play (to lose) 50c games, then play to win $10 games - it works to artificially control your rating (and I have spotted "plenty" of sharks doing the same thing.....)

Re: Backgammon Tourney - Sign up here Have changed this - have spotted that there are PlayMoney tables on PartyGammon - so we will use those - afterall, this isn't about money and I don't want anyone discouraged from participating :ok Will sort out a structure and do a draw tomorrow after the poll closes :ok

How long does it take to learn this from nothing?
I think it's probably similar to poker - you can learn it to a degree pretty quickly - but then you need to keep learning some of the strategy..... Will try and find a decent intro on the net somewhere :ok Any questions, fire away :ok Probably good to download gnubackgammon - is free and will give you a computer opponent to practice against until you're comfortable playing a real opponent :ok If you analyse a game too afterwards you can see which were your worst moves (though not necessarily why....)

Re: Backgammon Tourney - Sign up here Cant find a guide that doesn't make it sound more complicated than it is. Probably best to just take these basics and give it a bash on gnubackgammon - don't be put off by how someof it is expressed below - it really isn't as complicated as it may sound...... http://www.melbg.org/AboutBackgammon.htm

Beginners Guide to Backgammon Backgammon is a two-player game, and is basically a race. Dice rolls determine the moves each player can make. Rather than being a simple speed contest, there are many strategies players can employ to win the game. The player who first brings all the pieces to the finish line is the winner. More about that later. The backgammon board has 24 positions or points. Each player numbers the points in order so that 24 is the farthest away, 1 the closest. A player's "home board" comprises points 1-6. Points are usually referred to by number. My the "5 point" is in my home board, and is the "20 point" for my opponent. A few points have special names, such as the "bar point" or the "mid point". At the start of each game, each player rolls one die until different numbers come up. To be legal, dice must lie flat on the board, and be on the players right. The player who rolled the higher number has first move, using both the numbers rolled. When the player is satisfied with the move, he picks up the dice, and then it's the other player's turn. Illegal plays are handled in various ways, depending on club rules. Moving around the board Backgammon pieces are variously referred to as men, pieces, or checkers. Checkers are moved forward the number of pips indicated by the dice, with each number being played separately. If the player rolls a "double", that number is played 4 times. If only one number can be legally moved, then the larger must be used. Both numbers must be played if at all possible. The numbers may be played in either order. Pieces can land either on vacant points, or on points occupied by 1 enemy piece, which is sent all the way back to the beginning (hitting). Hit pieces are placed on the bar, which is the ridge running down the middle of the board. Any number which cannot be legally played is ignored. If a player has a piece on the bar, that piece must be moved first. If that piece cannot be played (because all the points corresponding to the dice numbers have 2 or more opposing pieces on them), then the player must forfeit his turn.

Re: Backgammon Tourney - Sign up here 16 of us - perfect number :ok Think I'll go for a Champions League/World Cup format - four groups of four - everyone plays everyone in their group once. Top 2 from each group qualify for next round. In the event of a tie, pts difference counts. If it's still a tie, then H2H counts. If it's still a tie then a play off will occur :ok The draw will then be: Winner Group A v Runner Up Group C v Winner Group B v Runner Up Group D v Winner Group C v Runner Up Group A v Winner Group D v Runner Up Group B Will do a random draw shortly and put the results up (you'll have to trust my honesty, but as I don't know how good everyone is and there's no money involved, hopefully not a problem ;) )

Group A
gazza271
voiceofjoe
teaulc
slapdash
Group B
laidbackbloke
catnikki999
Teazz
elmcroft
Group C
Spurman
GotaFancy?
Big Andy
pistonbroke
Group D
Valiant23
Pocket Lady
Jaded
Penelopeys
No strict deadlines for the games - just play them when you can :ok

Re: Backgammon Tourney - Time to get rolling Just to clarify - for the "Goal Difference" - if you were to use the cube well in your last game and win 14 - 8, it actually counts as a 9 - 8 win - your "for" column is capped at 9.....

Re: Backgammon Tourney - Time to get rolling

Pene/Sam/Val - probably here until I crash out of Poker Night Live later' date= or lose consciousness thru alcohol to celebrate start of half-term - gizza shout if you want a game, my MSN's here.
Hey guys, am online... just playing final table at SO $ 20 right now... must concentrate... In HORSE at 8 pm, when I am out of that I am ready for a game :ok

Re: Backgammon Tourney - Time to get rolling Am thinking that the winner of this could be awarded the title of BBP (Best Backgammon Player). Also have half an eye towards MAYBE continuing this after this tourney - maybe once a month, league only, with promotion and relegation? But that's the future, lets see how it goes first :ok

Am thinking that the winner of this could be awarded the title of BBP (Best Backgammon Player). Also have half an eye towards MAYBE continuing this after this tourney - maybe once a month, league only, with promotion and relegation? But that's the future, lets see how it goes first :ok
Just because Kara's says your good at it :tongue2

Just because Kara's says your good at it :tongue2
Eh? I missed that :nana :cow :nana :cow :nana :cow lol - She hasn't seen me play!!!!!!!! I haven't been on a featured game on GNL yet!!! Am just trying to withdraw the deposit I made there (worldgammon.com) as I don't think I should/need to be playing for money, but there doesn't seem to be a withdraw option :unsure (the "withdraw winnings" button just takes me to a page telling me I have no pending withdrawals !!!)

Re: Backgammon Tourney - Time to get rolling What are your user names? Anybody know how the private games work? I PMed teaulc half an hour ago asking if he could play, and set up a private match just in case, but some random person joined the table, and I didn't seem to have an option to stop him. Beat him 9-0, though. :dude