Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Euro 2008 Qualifiers (Oct 11th)

Sport Football (Internationals)
Event Poland - Portugal
Selection Portugal
Strength 10/10
Date 11/10/2006
Bookmaker/Price BetFred @ 2.20 (Back)
Reasoning This is a match between two teams that has yet to impress. Of the two of them, I'd say Poland has by far been the worst, they've only managed to get 4 points in 3 matches against relatively easy opponents. Last round Portugal got the 3 points, as was their duty against a weak Azerbadjian team, whom none really rates, this is the day where Portugal has to step their game up, after losing 4-2 to Denmark then playing 1-1 against Finland, Poland is a chance to show that they CAN win against some of the more respected teams in Europe. Still I think Portugal are showing quality, and Ronaldo showed that he can find the net last time, as Carvalho also has done two-three times the latest 3 matches, they're in the middle of a transition-period though, where they are incorporating more youngsters, but with youngster like Nani (from SL) I do not doubt that they will get back on track, the question is though, will they do so against Poland? Coach Luiz Felipe Scolari has said that they'd be satisfied with 1 point in Poland, Ronaldo said that all the players were going for all the points though, which makes me believe that Portugal has just about 50 % chance of winning this bout. That gives us a betvalue of 110,00%. Happy punting!

Re: Euro 2008 Qualifiers (Oct 11th) I think England will have a tough time in Croatia, it looks a balanced game that could go either way. I thought England were fortunate to get 4 points from Macedonia and Croatia are a big step up from Macedonia. Gerrard will be a big miss. The Croatians have not had to travel unlike England. My odds Croatia 35% Draw 30% England 35% I was surprised to see 5/2 Croatia with Betfred on the 7th Heaven coupon. I expect France (1/80) to beat the Faroe Islands and Holland (1/12) to beat Albania to make up the required treble. 10pts treble. 28pts Profit ;) PL profit season to date 164.40pts ;)

Re: Euro 2008 Qualifiers (Oct 11th) I will lay Sweden here, currently trading at 1.58 on parbet. Sweden should not be below 1.7 imo. The win against Spain is overrated, Spain were pretty bad on the night and Sweden didn't create too much. Spain had several good opportunities to tie it up, and perhaps even win the game. Sweden were missing key players Andreas Isaksson (first goalkeeper) and Zlatan Ibrahimovic ahead of the Spain tie. In addition to this Fredrik Ljungberg injured himself halfway through the Spain clash and will miss the Iceland game. Also playmaker Anders Svensson is suspended for the game, and defensive midfielder Tobias Linderoth will not be with the squad as he is becoming a father. In addition to this Henrik Larsson and Teddy Lucic has retired so it is a pretty weak Swedish team that will be fielded on wednesday. Larsson, Isaksson, Zlatan, Ljungberg, Lucic and Linderoth would all have started if they were available, maybe also A. Svensson (he did so against Spain.) Probable swedish XI: Rami Shabaan Mikael Nilsson - Petter Hansson - Olof Mellberg - Erik Edman Daniel Andersson Niklas Alexandersson - Kim Källström - Christian Willhemsson Markus Allbäck - Patrik Elmander In addition to this Sweden will be expected to control the game, which has been proven that we are no good at, T&T in the WC for example.. Furthermore many of the Iceland players play or have played in the Swedish top league (Allsvenskan) so I am pretty sure they will be fully motivated ahead of the game. And they are no pushovers, they managed to beat Northern Ireland. And we know what kind of results NI has gotten since then.. So my advice is to LAY Sweden!

Re: Euro 2008 Qualifiers (Oct 11th) andorra v macedonia -1 @ 1.92 andorra are surely one of the remaining " minnows " of european football - macedonia should surely be hyped up by the result in manchester at the weekend. anything under 0-3 would surprise me here but I think macedonia have a history of disgraceful results following decent performances so will just stick to -1 for safety reasons. going to have a wee flutter on scotland and england games to finish goaless. both available @ 8/1 making a nice 81/1 double ( small stake )

Re: Euro 2008 Qualifiers (Oct 11th) Hi guys, I noticed that some of You are interested in POL Vs POR game so let me add few words as I'm Polish and follow my team closely. The Saturday's game against Kazachstan (1-0) was so bored - that I'd say it was a kind of antifootball which should be banned rather than broadcasted on TV. Kazachstan had total 2 shots on goal during the whole game while Poland couldn't find any idea how to break their dull defence as well. Our attacking formation is absolutely tootless nowadays with Zurawski (Celtic) out of form and Rasiak (Southampton) lack of self-confidence while playing in National Team. Unfortunately, we don't have a fair replacements for them now so probably we will see this duo again on Wednesday so again we should not expect much from Poland as far as offensive formation is concerned. In my opinion, the result of the game in Chorzów depends totally on Portugal's performance. If the visitors play at least 70% of their potential Poland should have no chances to get even a single point. I didn't see Portugal Vs Azerbejdzan (3-0) game but according to the reports Scolari's players looked well-prepared and motivated enough to complete an easy win and wait for Poland's clash. All in all, there is no confidence among Polish supporters before the Wednesday's clash and if Portugal take it serious the visitors should have a big chance to get a win. PORTUGAL (-0&-0.5) @1.80

Re: Euro 2008 Qualifiers (Oct 11th) :cow :drums jmac73 and second sight. pretty much what I was thinking about both Wales v Cyprus and Croatia v England. Apologies if this seems like a partial repeat of an earlier post, but I think there's a few new points in it. As for the over 2.5 for Wales v Cyprus, both games involving those teams had a hatful of goals on Saturday, and although the Wales team will have been working on defence in training, they are still likely to be vulnerable. 1.88 on Betfair for over 2.5 seems reasonable to me. Cyprus are likely to have a sustained period of attacking play at some point in the tie, and i would expect Wales to commit to attacking play as they did on Saturday. Could be an entertaining end to end game with a few goals. :hope With regards to Croatia v England, I hope I'm wrong but I am concerned that England will get "humbled" by Croatia unless they scrap real hard like some of the other UK teams like NI and Scotland have been doing of late. Macdedonia were technically better than England and in Croatia they will be facing a team with higher technical ability, plus a tremendous fighting spirit to win on their home ground in front of their committed support. In my view England need some more real in the trench fighters in the team, and I hope Johnson gets his chance soon, to see what he can do at international level. England need something that will give them a bit more spark. I thought Rooney did ok the other day, but he looks to be carrying too much weight at the moment - in the Sunday Mirror "action photo" of Wayne it looked as if Coleen been baking him a few too many pies. Probably another substitution beckons in the second half. I agree about England missing Cole. He is a player who has great ability, and one who increases Englands general skill level, and a fighter too. Gerrard too is a big loss. I guess it's up to Lampard to have a great game (gulp!). At the sake of being controversial, I think it's a shame Beckam has not been recalled. I will be laying England (again) in play. I don't expect England to win, but if they do then the the result will be a sweetener against the loss of the stake. :dude FT

Re: Euro 2008 Qualifiers (Oct 11th) I'm not sure Portugal can really be trusted to turn on the style away from home -TBH Portugal have had some nice wins away, like in Spain [0-1], but they've thrown points away against some of footballs minnows aswell! I say this is one to avoid - but if polish supporters are backing Portugal! -maybe I'm wrong!

Re: Euro 2008 Qualifiers (Oct 11th) Macedonia are on at about 1.3 or so for their trip to Andorra and I've cetainly agreed that they should win to-nil on swampsters international CS thread! but Andorra drew 0-0 in Macedonia in the last meeting between these two and in Macedonias last trip to Andorra they lost 1-0! that was in the last round of qualifiers -BTW! makes you wonder eh?

Re: Euro 2008 Qualifiers (Oct 11th) England squad news Gerrard banned for a match Ledley King - knee injury England's likely lineup Paul Robinson Gary Neville - Rio Ferdinand - John Terry - Ashley Cole Shaun Wright Philips - Lampard - Carrick - Downing Rooney - Crouch I think this match will end up in a boring 0-0 or a 1-0 win to England. England's defense had been quite stingy with 4 straight clean sheets under Maclaren.

Re: Euro 2008 Qualifiers (Oct 11th) davidmphill- Thanks for setting that straight (about Bellamy), you're right. Didn't he have some trouble with the law recently, though ? His mind can't be 100% on the game. Of course, sometimes something like that can make a player come out guns-blazing. So, Giggs is definitely out and Gabbidon is doubtful (although BBC news has him playing). What are your thoughts on this one? I like the over 2.5 on a trade.

cover the draw [0-0] in the England match but expect an away win - I think Croatia are going to attack and this will be enough for England to exploit! 2.5 for England is as good as christmas -IMO!
Can't see Croatia falling into the attack-conterattack trap. I have not seen them play this campaign but in the last few years they used to focus on solid defending. This match looks likely to finish Under 2.5 goals.

davidmphill- Thanks for setting that straight (about Bellamy), you're right. Didn't he have some trouble with the law recently, though ? His mind can't be 100% on the game. Of course, sometimes something like that can make a player come out guns-blazing. So, Giggs is definitely out and Gabbidon is doubtful (although BBC news has him playing). What are your thoughts on this one? I like the over 2.5 on a trade.
Taken from BBC - Bellamy's trial postponed Bellamy calls on Wales character
o.gif EURO 2008 QUALIFIER _42182353_bellamy_grimace_get203.jpg Group D: Wales v Cyprus Date: 11 October Kick-off: 2000 BST Venue: Millennium Stadium, Cardiff Coverage: Live on BBC Radio Wales, Radio Cymru & the BBC Sport website Coverage details
Craig Bellamy says it is crucial how the young Wales squad responds after Saturday's 5-1 drubbing by Slovakia. Wales face another Euro 2008 qualifier in Cardiff on Wednesday against Cyprus, with skipper Bellamy eager for his team-mates to show their mettle. "You test everyone's character, see how they are as a player and a person with results like that," Bellamy said. "It's how they respond on Wednesday - that's when you can get to see your true players." videosport.gifNews conference: Wales captain Craig Bellamy Bellamy's preparations were expected to be disrupted by a court case he faced in Cardiff on an assault charge. The trial has been postponed for a future date, freeing Bellamy to take a full part in Wales training. The Liverpool striker, 27, says training has been encouraging, but admits he would rather have got the trial over with. "I'd like to get it over and done with, don't want it hanging over me, my conscience is clear so I just have to get on with it really," Bellamy added. "But you have to try and be as bright as you can in training and it has been positive.
o.gif It's tough for me to lift myself, let alone help the youngsters Wales defender Danny Gabbidon
"It's not the first time I've lost 5-1 and it won't be the last time for the youngsters in the squad. "The best thing we could have had is another game straight away, you don't want to go three or four months down the line before meeting up again. "We've got a good chance of trying to put some of it right, but it won't all be right obviously." Cyprus were viewed as one of the minnows in the group, but stunned the Republic of Ireland on Saturday by beating them 5-2 in Nicosia. However, Bellamy says he has been aware for some time that Cyprus are a very decent team. "I follow Ireland, I watch them a lot, and I watched Cyprus play them last year (when the Republic won 1-0) and it could have been 5-2 then," Bellamy said. "Cyprus were very bright and very sharp, Shay Given saved a penalty and their two forwards were very good, their movement was good and they were strong and quick. "Ireland were lucky to get a result and we played Cyprus a couple of weeks later, they beat us 1-0 and turned us over - they were by far the better side. "So I knew they were a decent side when they were named in our group. "I was surprised when they lost to Slovakia 6-1, but that is more understandable given what happened to us on Saturday. "But they responded well from it and are a good side, but they have weaknesses like any side that we can get at." Wales centre back Danny Gabbidon has an extra motivation for wanting a recovery against Cyprus. The West Ham man, 27, is seeking payback following the miserable 1-0 defeat in Limassol last November, Gabbidon's only game as Wales captain. "The Cyprus loss hurt, it was a total disaster," said Gabbidon. "It would just be nice to get one over them after that, and we do now need the points." Cardiff-born Gabbidon admits that it is a struggle playing in a highly inexperienced defence missing Mark Delaney, Sam Ricketts, James Collins (all injured) and Rob Page (retired). "It's tough for me to lift myself, let alone help the youngsters after the disappointment against Slovakia," Gabbidon told BBC Sport Wales. "But we have to encourage them, they are going to play a lot more games for Wales. "We looked pretty good going forward and I thought we were back in it when Gareth Bale scored his goal, but they hit us straight away with the third."

Re: Euro 2008 Qualifiers (Oct 11th) As a big Ireland supporter I'd put the Czechs down as a banker. This is our best 11 without injured: ----------------Given---------------- Finnan---O'Brien---Dunne---Harte McGeady--Carsley--S.Reid---Duff ------------Keane--Doyle----------- The following are out: Given O'Brien Dunne Harte McGeady S.Reid Doyle Kenny and Ireland who are usually backup players (but played on Saturday) are now also both injured. Carsley has finally got a long awaited callup to try and help the crisis. The likely central defence will be Kelly and McShane. Both players play in the English Championship with Kelly usually playing at right back. Staunton played with Kilbane and Ireland in the centre against Cyprus. That just shows he hasn't a clue as no manager would play with an attacking midfielder and a winger in central midfield. We'll lose this and it's a matter of how many Czechs score.

davidmphill- Thanks for setting that straight (about Bellamy), you're right. Didn't he have some trouble with the law recently, though ? His mind can't be 100% on the game. Of course, sometimes something like that can make a player come out guns-blazing. So, Giggs is definitely out and Gabbidon is doubtful (although BBC news has him playing). What are your thoughts on this one? I like the over 2.5 on a trade.
Beller's court case has been postponed so hopefully he can put that to the back of his mind now. Hopefully Paul Jones will get dropped and Gabbidon wil play, still touch and go now. I'd like to see Paul Parry and Joe Ledley of Cardiff play. They're full of confidence following the Bluebirds' fantastic start to the season. I can see goals in this. Our defence was shocking on Saturday and to be honest we looked like scoring a few earlydoors. The Overs is tempting but I reckon it could be tight with it being 1-0 Wales or 1-1. Hopefully a 5-0 win for Wales as I'll be in attendence but no doubt it'll be a 0-0 bore draw!

Re: Euro 2008 Qualifiers (Oct 11th) News just in is that Carsley is back in the Ireland squad. As an Irishman I can vouch that he is one the best 11 available, but dunno if Stan will start him (how much humble pie will he eat ?) I've backed the Czechs at 2.16 and am now wondering if one player can fire a revolution ?? In an unpatriotic vein I want John O'Shea to play central defence, 'marking' Koller and Baros !! With qualification gone, let me just make my money this time round !!!

What do you think about Slovakia -Germany ?? is 1' date='8 fo AW worth a try or maybe X2 but only for a combo cause the odds are around 1,18 :( Any opinons about this game ??[/quote']Staying well clear of that game myself. Tough game for the Germans and the Slovaks had a good result at the weekend so I believe.

Re: Euro 2008 Qualifiers (Oct 11th) Andorra - Macedonia Pick: Macedonia (-1.5) Odds: 1.69 @ 10Bet Stake: 9/10 Macedonia played great matches against England in their two meetings and they didn't deserve to lose in Skopje. THey played great football at Old Trafford and under Srecko Katanec Maecodnian team look very good, hungry for success. Katanec did a great job, and under him Macedonia has 3-1-1 and those wins were against Ecuador, Turkey and Estonia, and the draw is agaist England away and at home Macedonia lost (i must againt) undeservedly and after the conceded goal they were much better opponent. I never liked Macedonian team like I do now. They are playing like a team and with great Pandev as leader in the offense this team is capbable of good things. Andorra is amateur team and they owe too much to this Macedonian team. Andorra achieved their first win in official match against Macedonia and after that match there were speculations that that match was fixed. Macedonian players are obligated to win there and they will win easily against Andorrian amateurs for sure. THe atmosphere is great and with this style of play I can put money on away win and to sleep tight because I expect Macedonia to fight and to win with 3-4 goals difference. The odds are already droped rapidly, I took this bet @ 1.80 and if you have intention to took it too, you have to be quick because the lines will change

Ireland v Czech Republic Both sides come into this in deeply contrasting results from the weekend. The Czech's won comfortably as predicted in trouncing San Marino 7-0 to set themselves up nicely for this. However Ireland had a shocking day out in Cyprus where they crashed 5-2. Their defence struggled in that game and one of their better players on the day was sent off in the form of Richard Dunne. Tough ask for Ireland to bounce back from that and the momentum is with the visitors and they're worth backing here at odds against Czech Republic @ 2.16 betfair
I think I've found the silver bullet (had to change my avatar for this match day) Personally I feel the game against San Marino was a no-brainer and little weight should be given to that match on the other-hand Ireland crashing to Cyprus does hold weight and should not be dismissed as an off day clearly there is much to question about Ireland at the moment. Its again my opinion that home advantage will do little to right this ship which allowed 5 goals out of how many shots? I'd be interested in hearing the injury report. Goal def for Czech Rep is 12:1. I'm with David on this one. Czech Republic @ 2.16 betfair Also like Germany and great odds for Scotland (perhaps cover them for the draw).

Re: Euro 2008 Qualifiers (Oct 11th) Ya, I do agree that the Czechs are a must bet and if the conditions are in any way favourable, they have to be a very big bet. Ireland have been terrible for a while now and our midfield just doesnt count at any level. Throw in misfiring Morrison and Robbie handstands and I cant see how on earth we're supposed to score. That waste of space O'Shea looks like he'll be playing centre half with young McShane which doesnt augur well when up against Koller and Baros.Theres also the goalkeeping crisis with Given and Kenny out and from a betting perspective, I really hope to see Colgan in nets as he's looked extremely dodgy in any games he's played for us. The only reason the Czechs are such a generous price is because of Irelands previous strong home record(albeit mainly made up of friendly victories) and I expect the Czechs to win 2moro so long as they overcome what will surely be a high tempo start from the irish after that disgraceful effort they put in at the weekend. Also, one of the reasons why teams like Irelandor Scotland have beaten the bigger nations in the past is because of a hostile home crowd. I can gaurantee you anything but that 2moro nite and I fully expect the Czechs do a professional job and leave with the 3 points.

Re: Euro 2008 Qualifiers (Oct 11th) think we all agree about the czechs beating ireland,can see stan and the boys having a torrid night,expecially if an early goal goes in and the crowd get a bit apprehensive.its trying to find something else that im struggling with.macedonia has been mentioned,but,and this isnt meant to be disrespectful,can we trust a footballing nation such as macedonia to cover a 2 goal handicap??as has been mentioned,they struggled the last time they met andorra,why not this time?they arent the underdog in this match,were i thoght they excelled on saturday.i will leave that well alone.germanys match with slovakia "smells" of a draw for me.germany adapting to life under a new coach after their world cup exploits,slovakia coming off a excellent win against the welsh.wales were terrible,but for any team to win 5-1 away from home in international competition deserves noting.i might even try the slovaks on ah +0.5.:cheers

Re: Euro 2008 Qualifiers (Oct 11th) Croatia (0) - England (0) England played very bad against Macedonia in their previous two meetings despite the fact that they took 4 points from those matches. I do not remember when England was so bad. Their midfield is looking like there is no midfield, the attack line is sharples, the wing backs are just an average. Only thing that is on necessary level is the central defense. Croatia trashed 7:0 Andorra (which is an irrelevant fat) but the result 0:0 in Moscow before that is the thing that is making me taking this bet. Croatia played really good football there and they should’ve won all three points there. They had decent opportunities but the luck wasn’t on their side on that match. Now after their huge win against Andorra and bad performances of their opponent, player’s self-confidense is on high level. What to say about McLaren’s men? Gary Neville was very slow and he was easily passed by in whole 90 minutes from Macedonian players, Gerrard was completely lost but he can produce danger situations no matter how good is his form but he is suspended for this match. I can say the same thing for Lampard, but he is playing very bad in the last few months. Downing - completely out of space, Carrick – that guy wouldn’t play even in my neighborhood, the weakest player that played for England, in my opinion. Rooney is not playing at his best also and he hasn’t scored a goal for while. The best players in the team in the match against Macedonia were Crouch, who can be matches well by tall Croatian defenders (Robert Kovac or Simunic) and King who won’t play because of injury, but he will probably be replaced from Ferdinand who is playing on high level also. The English NT is very overrated and without Beckham, Lennon, Hargreaves and Gerrard in the middle they are not a team that can be rated as favorite here. Croatia is without loss in Zagreb for more than 15 years and they have solid and talented squad that can match every team in the world. We have Croatian team playing at home with great home support, great home record, playing against out of form England and we have Croatia as underdog, so this is must bet situation. Pick: H, Odds: 2.09, Stake: 5, Bookmaker: Pinnacle