Australian Basketball (NBL) Update: October 9th Match!

Hi guys, I am going to start a thread here for the NBL, I doubt there will be a whole lot of interest in this league but there is a bit of money to be made, so I will try and spot a few winners but just keep it to this one thread: The first match for the weekend sees the following odds, Match is in New Zealand and tip off is in an hour (short notice, but many more matches to come) New Zealand vs Sydney Includes Overtime New Zealand 2.30 (+3.5) 1.90 (+2.0) 2.00 Margin (1-10) 3.35 (11+) 6.25 Sydney 1.62 (-3.5) 1.90 (-5.0) 2.00 Margin (1-10) 2.85 (11+) 3.40 Over/Under (+210.5) 1.90 My tip: Sydney straight out are looking the goods here, here are the previous meetings in NZ: Round 11, 12-Nov-2005 at New Zealand : New Zealand vs Sydney 113 - 130 Round 6, 06-Nov-2004 at Trusts Stadium Waitakere : New Zealand vs Sydney 94 - 108 Round 2, 10-Oct-2004 at Trusts Stadium Waitakere : New Zealand vs Sydney 96 - 94 and last meeting this year was in Sydney and finished like this: Round 22, 29-Jan-2006 at Sydney : Sydney vs New Zealand 104 - 115 Both teams have played the South Dragons so far with NZ winning by 6 at home while Sydney won by 26 at home, Sydney have a few more games under their belt than NZ and have won their last three after losing in the opening round. NZ are yet to travel and have only had the one match, I think that overall Sydney have the better list here, with more scoring options, while NZ tend to rely on a few stars to make the majority of their chances. NZ are at a huge advantage given how few matches they have been able to play in the pre-season and in the regular season, Sydney are already into a groove and shooting high percentages, they have also settled into their away trips with no problems thus far. I am not going to play the margins here given how early in the season it is but Sydney should cover the -5 points with ease. Tip: Sydney to defeat New Zealand straight, 7/10 strength, @ $1.62 on Sportingbet.com.au. Hope there are some others who follow this league on here, hopefully there is some money to be made this season. :hope:hope:hope

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Australian Basketball (NBL) Good preview Miguel, will be interested to how many people we can get in here, the NBL has become pretty popular in recent years but has never really been a big sport in Australia however it would be great if we could get quite a few people in here offering insights and doing previews for matches and make this a popular thread. Plenty of money to be won too!! Do you follow NBL closely Mig?

Re: Australian Basketball (NBL)

Good preview Miguel, will be interested to how many people we can get in here, the NBL has become pretty popular in recent years but has never really been a big sport in Australia however it would be great if we could get quite a few people in here offering insights and doing previews for matches and make this a popular thread. Plenty of money to be won too!! Do you follow NBL closely Mig?
I follow it with a bit of interest, I have struggled to watch a lot due to not having foxtel for a while now, I have followed it via highlights, radio, newspapers and the net, the main reason I started the thread was this news article today. (I will post the time and link to the NBL show that they do on SEN melbourne when it starts again, that is the sh*t for up-to-date news on teams and form, great stuff!) "The National Basketball League has continued the on-going expansion of its broadcast presence with the announcement today that Philips Championship games will be broadcast in Australia via Channel Nine on a weekly basis. Starting from 15 October, Nine will show a one-hour highlights program every Sunday morning at 11:30am. The first game to be shown will be the South Dragons - Wollongong Hawks clash from Vodafone Arena." this makes it so much more accessable to all of us and helps with the betting side of things too. So far this season I have seen 3 matches on tv at pubs and with mates and I am hoping to get along to the Tigers matches a bit this year given I live around the corner from them. I am interested to see if there are any casual followers in PL land and hopefully this can be another great Aussie based thread. I will check in after work and post the result, :hope for the Kings to keep their winning run going!

Re: Australian Basketball (NBL) New Zealand Breakers vs Sydney Kings (Oct 5 at 7pm) Last years minor premier and eventual runner up Sydney take on New Zealand who are nothing special in my opinion. But this should be a good game and closer than alot of people think, Sydney havnt really hit their straps so far this year and are looking sluggish, while New Zealand are hard to measure as they have only played 1 match. Sydney captain Jason Smith has also copped a bit of flak due to a quiet start this year, and they will also be without big man Ian Crosswhite which is a big loss. However Rowland & Kendall are both quality players for Sydney and they will need to fire tonight too as they are very undersized coming into this match. New Zealand have a big team with talls Ben Pepper & Tim Behrendorff in fine form lately, but they have found a star for the future in Chris Powell who was sensational last week scoring 34 points. Having said that I think Sydney will still win but i wont be risking alot of money on this match as New Zealand are more than capable of pulling off an upset here. Pick Sydney to WIN at $1.60 - (5/10)

Re: Australian Basketball (NBL) Sydney to win this match by under 10.5 points is paying $2.80 at Centrebet so i think that looks like a good bet because i dont think Sydney will win by alot tonight. What do you think Miguel? Great value at $2.80 in my opinion

Re: Australian Basketball (NBL) I can't stand these New Zealand franchise teams who put New Zealand before their franchise name such as the "Breakers" or the "Warriors" or the "Knights" as it looks like it's our national team. Then the team gets refferred to as NZ... Just a pet peeve. There's a bit of a movement over here for the teams to drop the NZ from their name and I hope they do it to. Anyway the games already started but I'm on the Sydney Kings as well although I expect the Breakers to give them a really good fight. Our imports are looking good so far.

Re: Australian Basketball (NBL) Games already started?! On the 3 fox sport channels i have, there is womans hockey, surfing & motor bike racing on (talk about exciting... :$ ) but no sign of the NBL. If it has indeed started, can you give us a few updates Kiwi_punter :ok

Re: Australian Basketball (NBL) Wish I knew someone had started an NBL thread here .. Could have steered you guys away from playing Sydney straight up .. The Kings are missing Ian Crosswhite and Jason Smith tonight, tipping the scales well and truly in favour of the Breakers IMO .. I didn't have a play on this one (because despite the Kings being undermanned, they're still a team that's extremely well coached and that knows how to win), but if pushed I would lean towards New Zealand +4.5 given the Kings' absentees .. BTW .. my record for the season so far is 4-0 ..

Wish I knew someone had started an NBL thread here .. Could have steered you guys away from playing Sydney straight up .. The Kings are missing Ian Crosswhite and Jason Smith tonight, tipping the scales well and truly in favour of the Breakers IMO .. I didn't have a play on this one (because despite the Kings being undermanned, they're still a team that's extremely well coached and that knows how to win), but if pushed I would lean towards New Zealand +4.5 given the Kings' absentees .. BTW .. my record for the season so far is 4-0 ..
Welcome to PL Mr Flamboyant. You sound like you know your stuff as far as NBL is is concerned and this is the first NBL thread we have had on here so your advice in future will be greatly apreciated :ok I was aware Crosswhite was out but didnt know about Smith being out, i thought he was originally named? Still thought the Kings would have too much depth for the Breakers and the 3qtr time scorline is looking good :clap

Well you Kings backers are looking good afterall .. Sydney 65-56 approaching three quarter time ..
Ended up taking Kings to win by under 10.5 points so i need the score not go any higher!!! Keep us posted on the results Mr Flamboyant, for some unknown reason the game isnt on pay tv and they have absolute shit on instead of it. Very annoying

Re: Australian Basketball (NBL) Well done ads on the under 10.5, final score was 94-99, so a good Kings win to start, looking good for the season with everyone coming into give some thoughts, a very nice start. Kiwi_punter, I will use the Breakers and Knights from now on, it's an Aussie thing I think to call the teams New Zealand, that way when an Aussie team wins they are beating New Zealand, when a New Zealand team wins they are only beating a small part of Australia. It's a complex thing, like how we have to take all of your stars and call them Aussies. Cheers to a good win all!

Well done ads on the under 10.5' date=' final score was 94-99, so a good Kings win to start, looking good for the season with everyone coming into give some thoughts, a very nice start. [/quote'] Cheers Miguel! :ok Good start really im happy with that, $2.80 were great odds because i thought Sydney would win but because they were undermanned i didnt think it would be over 10.5 points. The full replay is on fox at 7:30 tonight so i might have a look if i get the chance and perhaps post some thoughts on here afterwords. Bit strange they didnt play the game live with 3 channels available, but oh well.. These NBL threads look like they could be succesfull Mig, great start man :clap

Games already started?! On the 3 fox sport channels i have, there is womans hockey, surfing & motor bike racing on (talk about exciting... :$ ) but no sign of the NBL. If it has indeed started, can you give us a few updates Kiwi_punter :ok
When I made my first post the game had been due to start about 5 minutes earlier but when I turned on my tv to listen to a scrambled screen with commentary (can't afford sky;) ) the game was about 30 seconds away from starting. Remember we've started day light saving over here so maybe the extra hours difference caught you out. For live updates I used http://www.nbl.com.au/ which gives you live scores. Sorry I had disappeared to have my dinner by the time you had posted. :\

Kiwi_punter, I will use the Breakers and Knights from now on, it's an Aussie thing I think to call the teams New Zealand, that way when an Aussie team wins they are beating New Zealand, when a New Zealand team wins they are only beating a small part of Australia. It's a complex thing, like how we have to take all of your stars and call them Aussies.
Good man. :ok It was funny watching the Knights being referred to as NZ last season when there wasn't a single NZer in the team. Just a bunch of old has-been poms. :lol

Re: Australian Basketball (NBL) In the old NSL soccer there was a Kiwi team called Football Kingz from memory, is that right? Were they ever called New Zealand or just Football Kingz?? Why do you guys have teams in the 'Australian' league anyway :loon Dont you have your own leagues over there? :lol

Re: Australian Basketball (NBL) Tonight in Adelaide we see the 36ers face off with the Hawks, they met in round one with the fianl score showing: Round 1, 24-Sep-2006 at WIN Entertainment Centre : Wollongong vs Adelaide 85 - 89 and the last time at Adelaide was: Round 7, 14-Oct-2005 at Adelaide : Adelaide vs Wollongong 113 - 103 The odds are showing: Adelaide vs Wollongong Adelaide 1.55 (-4.0) 1.90 (-5.5) 2.00 (1-10) 2.75 (11+) 3.40 Wollongong 2.45 (+4.0) 1.90 (+2.5) 2.00 (1-10) 3.50 (11+) 6.50 Over/Under (+195.5) 1.90 And their season so far is:

TeamPldWonLostLast 5StreakHomeAway% Pts% Won
36ers4131-3lost 20-11-289.425
Hawks2020-2lost 20-10-196.90
I am going to take the Hawks here at the +4 points, they have played well to this point and have lacked a little luck in my opinion, both of their matches have been decided by under 5 points and I fancy they are a chance here. The 36ers have just had a horror run on the road that saw them get flogged by the Wildcats, they shot a terrible percentage that night and from the highlights looked very tired given how early in the season it is. There is also a bit of doubt about 36ers coach Phil Smyth, Smyth coped a large amount of stick for his teams loss to the Kings last week with questions raised about his tactics that saw the Kings come from behind to clich a tight one. Smyth is also saying that he may make changes if the 36ers do not improve, early in the season this is not a good sign for a traditionally strong team. So I am taking the Wollongong Hawks at +4 for $1.90 on Sportingbet, 5/10 strength.. :clap to all the chatter already here, I was thinking I might be a loner talking NBL

Re: Australian Basketball (NBL) Update: October 6th match! To add to the tip above it is doubtful that 36ers captain Brett Maher will play due to an injury, Maher averages 19 points for the 36ers so far this season and is one of the sides most experienced player. Unsure who is to come in to replace him in the guard position, but a massive + for the hawks.

Re: Australian Basketball (NBL) Update: October 6th match! Adelaide 36ers vs Wollongong Hawks Should be an interesting match tonight between two sides that have been sluggish to start the year. Last week both teams lost in thrillers, Adelaide losing in Overtime to the Kings thanks to 2 Brett Maher brain lapses, while Wollongong gave up a 15 point lead to eventually lose by 2 points to the Taipans. The 36ers are basically a new look outfit this year and life hasnt been easy for them so far with disgruntled fans calling for coach Phil Smyth & new import Willie Farlay to be sacked too. So this is as good a chance as any to prove any doubters wrong for Adelaide in this much win match and with players like Nick Horvath & Brad Hill in good form, I think they will be too good for the Hawks tonight who lack alot of depth in their squad with unfit players which was shown last week when they gave up their 15 point lead, they just cant finish out matches properly. Interestingly in 32 matches in Adelaide the Hawks have only won 5 matches so 'The Dome' is not a happy hunting ground for the Hawks. Having considered all this i will be selecting the 36ers to win this one and i think they can do it comfortably. The $1.50 being offered for the straight win isnt enough value in my opinion and i will look to find value in the Ade/Ade HT/FT at $2.00 and will have some stakes on Adelaide to win by over 10.5 points at $3.45 Pick Adel/Adel HT/FT at $2.00 - (7/10) Pick Adelaide to win OVER 10.5 points at $3.45 - (4/10) Good luck all :ok

Re: Australian Basketball (NBL) Update: October 6th match!

To add to the tip above it is doubtful that 36ers captain Brett Maher will play due to an injury' date=' Maher averages 19 points for the 36ers so far this season and is one of the sides most experienced player. Unsure who is to come in to replace him in the guard position, but a massive + for the hawks.[/quote'] Did you see Maher last week turning over the ball twice? Ended up costing the 36ers the game in the end. However if he doesnt play it will be a huge loss and i may have to consider my over 10.5 margin

Re: Australian Basketball (NBL) Update: October 6th match! Again this match is not televised on Fox Sports so i will have to rely on internet updates. At quarter time Adelaide lead 29-26 so hopefully the scores stay at this margin for the rest of the game and we can all get a winning result :ok

Re: Australian Basketball (NBL) Update: October 6th match! Half time and Adelaide lead Wollongong 56-55 in what looks to be a close game. I gave Nick Horvath a big wrap in my preview earlier and rightfully so, he has scored 19 goals for the 36ers at this stage. Groves with 19 and Saville with 14 are top scorers for the Hawks at the moment. Also tipped the Ade/Ade HT/FT result so got half of it up, only just though!!! 1 point margin as close as you can be

Re: Australian Basketball (NBL) Update: October 6th match! 3 qtr time now and not much has changed, the game is still up for grabs as Adelaide lead 88 to 86. Groves now with 28 points and Saville with 23. For Adelaide Horvath has 21 points with Farley on 13 Should be an epic last quarter :drums

Re: Australian Basketball (NBL) Update: October 6th match! What the hell?!?! :loon The Hawks come from behind to beat Adelaide 103-113 with a mammoth last quarter. This totally come out of the blue and has cost me. Cant believe this result really, i know Adelaide have had their troubles in recent weeks but this is quite a pathetic result. Only the 6th time Wollongong have beat Adelaide at their ground :wall Groves finished highest scorer on the court for Hawks with 36 points while Saville shot 35 and collected 12 rebounds. For the 36ers Nick Horvath shot 24 points. Well done to Mig and Mr Flamboyant for great tips and congrats for winning some money. :ok Im still shocked by Adelaides last quarter though, quite unbelievable

Re: Australian Basketball (NBL) Update: October 6th match! Yep I'm happy with half a win, it ended as an over so that ate some of my profit from the +4, something is wrong with Adelaide at the moment, tactically they look terrible and their fitness is really letting them down, I'll take the win and stay away from Adelaide for the next 2-3 weeks.