** April Poker League Result : 1st Like2Fish, 2nd McG, 3rd andybell666 **

MTT Advice needed please.

Belly77

Hello folks. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

After enjoying playing the Virgin V Points freeroll on Sunday night I was thinking that I should maybe start playing more Mtt’s. I was doubling up nicely and was in the top ten for the first hour and a bit. The problem I found was that as the blinds increased I seemed to be playing less and less hands. I got a couple of A10’s that I folded due to people going all in on me pre flop. I started to worry that I was losing my blinds and before I knew it I’d blown about 10k in chips chasing my ace rag. On one hand I was pleased with the way I’d played up until then and on the other hand I was disappointed that I’d basically wasted all that tight play on my Ace Rag. I’ve been reading Hellmuth recently and basically only played his top ten hands up until this point. Has anyone else tried this tactic?

I think I’ve learnt from this mistake and would like to try my hand at more Mtt’s. Can anybody recommend any good sites to play lowish stakes MTT’s. I have cash accounts with Bet365, Betfair and Virgin but have never really ventured outside of the STT’s.

Apologies if this is a numpty post.

Re: MTT Advice needed please. Well 1st of all join in the focus games everyday. They are mainly low buy ins MTT's on our core sites. This will give you an indication which sites you like the best. It will also gove you more of an indication if MTT's are for you.

Re: MTT Advice needed please. Firstly it's not a numpty post. Learning to play the "mid game" properly is difficult. If you are one of the largest stacks then you have the advantage. In that position I tend to focus more on my opponents and less on my own cards. Work out who you can bully off of pots. As the blinds increase you need to focus on stealing those far more than winning after a showdown, particularly with a strong chip position. The other thing to do is play position in that situation. If your in late postion and no one raises in front of you then something like 3xBB (vary this) bet will often win you the hand without a showdown. If you're in very early position a similar tactic will often work too. Personally I like the advice that you should be the first person into the pot. If I can get in first I'll often play with much worse hands. If I'm not first in, then my hand is often much stronger - however this is also influenced by the stage in the MTT. When you got short stacked you started playing ace rag hands. This is the same for your opponents. When you had A10 and they were going all in, there was probably a number of times they did so with ace rag. However I must admit I don't like A10 in those situations and would probably have folded. Finally however you'll also need to learn how to play the "mid game" when short and medium sized chip stacks. Different games completely. Those sites are fine to get you started although I'd add Sporting Odds to it so you can get involved in a few more PL games.

Re: MTT Advice needed please. I don't play many MTT's the Titan Freeroll last week was the first one in a while. In MTTs I have a couple of major leaks that I am trying to plug (but on last night's evidence I need a bigger cork!): 1 I win a decent pot and think I have a few chips to play with, so I end up playing pots that I have no right to enter in the first place. 2 Just limping in early/mid position hoping to see a cheap flop, only to see it raised and end up folding.

Re: MTT Advice needed please. " 2 Just limping in early/mid position hoping to see a cheap flop, only to see it raised and end up folding. " That is exactly what I was doing. I totally didn't adapt to the change in play so panicked with an Ace Rag. Thanks for the advice. One other factor that throws me is when you get moved onto a new table. It annoys me when I'm on a good streak and getting some reads only to be moved. It's like starting all over again. I've got a SO account so will keep an eye open.

Re: MTT Advice needed please. If u havent played many mtts, i would try and play as many freerolls as u can for a week or so, just to get a feel for large fields, such as the daily safety net on SO's at 7 and the virgin daily at 8.30, also if u download 1 of the prima sites(ive found betway and nordic to be my personal favourites) they have a few freerolls a day. Although playing in freerolls of this nature(players tend to be very loose, almost lottery style, as it is free) it will give u a taste of mtt's, and u get to hone your own tatics when later on in games, u will also get an idea on how other players tactics change at varying times of the tourney. Then when u feel confident, Boss (SO and Virgin) have a $1+10 tourney with roughly same entrants as a freeroll (700) with slightly better standard of play, but alot better prize structure. Also if u seem to be enjoying mtts and youve got sufficient funds on a particular site, i think u cant go wrong with $5+50 mtts on boss about 150 entrants with a good pay out. And as staffy said u cant go wrong with following a few of the focus games! :ok Good Luck on your venture into mtts m8 :hope

Re: MTT Advice needed please. If you've got SpOdds, the PL league on Weds is great. Only $1.10 and whilst the actual game is not PL exclusive we have the added value in the league for top 6 or so over the month. Starts up again tomorrow. See the sticky thread. As 68allin says, there's a $1.10 Boss which is 7.00 every night, same time as the freeroll Safety Net on SpOdds. Safety Net is great after a bad day - hit the all-in button and laugh at the outcome good or bad. That way you either don't waste your time, or you've got some chips to play with. :D As you've got 356, there's a big freeroll on Saturday night, attracts a few '000, but pays top 300. Hang in there for the 1st hour and the field will be half the size.