** April Poker League Result : 1st Like2Fish, 2nd McG, 3rd andybell666 **

Help Needed

Belly77

I'm on the tilt. Can't win a game for love nor money at the moment. Not hitting anything on the board and when I do I get busted by a gut shot. My bank roll, which I've spent months building has now halved. I was making a good profit on the $5.50 STT's. Read a couple of poker books and my bank roll was looking good and I felt I was ready to step up to the $10 tables. Won the first couple of games and then had a couple of 2nds places and all was good. I then lost a couple and it's been down hill ever since. Started to get a bit worried about my loses so I switched back to the $5 to try and get my loses back but the rot seems to have set in. Need some advice before I'm bck to square 1 :cry

Re: Help Needed How often do you play? Sometimes it's best to take a week or two off. Get back to wanting to play instead of wanting to not lose - the psychological difference can be quite a factor in how you play. Do a few cheap MTT's to get back into the feel of long term concentration on the cards and try different strategies - loose, tight, uber tight. This should at least get your game back to what you are comfortable with. Thats what i'd do.

Re: Help Needed Looks like my kind of problem here. When I'm skint, with only a few quid to play with, I can often turn £10 into £50 with no problem at all. But then the ''I'm Invincible'' attitude kicks in and I start playing hands that I would have auto-folded before...and before I realise it, my stack has dwindled and I'm back to square one. I know this is how my winnings vanish and it is a difficult personality trait to try to overcome!

Re: Help Needed whats your bankroll? can you afford to top-up if you lose it all? is it just for playing poker or do you have living expenses to pay out of it as well? are you playing on a different site? are you playing a different game? are you playing tighter/looser? are you playing whilst tired/drunk/fed-up/taking drugs/arguing with the missus/steaming coz work has been shite all day/etc etc etc? are you chasing losses and calling with shite hoping to hit your gutshot? are you letting people in for free/cheap with draw hands and being'clever' by slowplaying made hands? lots of questions before giving some advice :) it is not just simply, turn it off and play next week - there are loads of other things that effect the game and how you play - there is no magic cure for this BTW:ok Damo

I'm on the tilt. Can't win a game for love nor money at the moment. Not hitting anything on the board and when I do I get busted by a gut shot. My bank roll, which I've spent months building has now halved. I was making a good profit on the $5.50 STT's. Read a couple of poker books and my bank roll was looking good and I felt I was ready to step up to the $10 tables. Won the first couple of games and then had a couple of 2nds places and all was good. I then lost a couple and it's been down hill ever since. Started to get a bit worried about my loses so I switched back to the $5 to try and get my loses back but the rot seems to have set in. Need some advice before I'm bck to square 1 :cry

Re: Help Needed I'm basically trying to build a decent bank roll so I can start playing some more serious poker. From reading this site I've established that poker shouldn't come between your own living money. Thats why I don't want to have to pay more money into my account to start building all over again. I joined Virgin about a year ago and from th einitial $20 deposit I've built up a bank roll that has slowly increased upto $300+. I'm now down to about $100 again. It's not so much the money more the time and effort I've spent getting to this stage. I feel like I've been playing the $5 tables for too long and want to expand my game a bit more. I will be gutted if it all gets wiped out. I've just won 2 games and come 2nd in another so maybe my luck is about to change. "are you playing on a different site?" NO "are you playing a different game?" NO "are you playing tighter/looser?" NOT THAT IM AWARE "are you playing whilst tired/drunk/fed-up/taking drugs/arguing with the missus/steaming coz work has been shite all day/etc etc etc?" SOMETIMES WHEN TIRED OR WITH A GLASS OF WINE BUT NOTHING MAJOR are you chasing losses and calling with shite hoping to hit your gutshot? "NO THIS ISN'T MY STYLE "are you letting people in for free/cheap with draw hands and being'clever' by slowplaying made hands?" POSSIBLY

Re: Help Needed excellent - you are not paying bills from your bankroll - that is a positive as no extra pressure right then: your BR is just about ok for the $5 - you would be better playing the $3 as you have more games for your bucks tired/glass of wine are IMHO a no-no, they effect your game and you make mistakes - I would not play if effected at all tight/loose - I would say that EVERYONE does do this at some point, that is why you need to review your hand histories and see where you puked your chips away (limping A 10 UTG for 100 chips etc) being outdrawn - we all do that as well! LOL post a few HH when this happened/happens and let us discuss, hopefully it might help you stop making the same mistake next time? good luck matey - plenty of folks have been through this and come out the other side - but it does take time, resiliance, a critical analysis of your poker playing, a 'proper' mental attitude and lots and lots and lots of grinding the low level tables to build the BR back up go here for more of an insight http://www.punterslounge.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30520&highlight=play+%24109 cheers Damo

I'm basically trying to build a decent bank roll so I can start playing some more serious poker. From reading this site I've established that poker shouldn't come between your own living money. Thats why I don't want to have to pay more money into my account to start building all over again. I joined Virgin about a year ago and from th einitial $20 deposit I've built up a bank roll that has slowly increased upto $300+. I'm now down to about $100 again. It's not so much the money more the time and effort I've spent getting to this stage. I feel like I've been playing the $5 tables for too long and want to expand my game a bit more. I will be gutted if it all gets wiped out. I've just won 2 games and come 2nd in another so maybe my luck is about to change. "are you playing on a different site?" NO "are you playing a different game?" NO "are you playing tighter/looser?" NOT THAT IM AWARE "are you playing whilst tired/drunk/fed-up/taking drugs/arguing with the missus/steaming coz work has been shite all day/etc etc etc?" SOMETIMES WHEN TIRED OR WITH A GLASS OF WINE BUT NOTHING MAJOR are you chasing losses and calling with shite hoping to hit your gutshot? "NO THIS ISN'T MY STYLE "are you letting people in for free/cheap with draw hands and being'clever' by slowplaying made hands?" POSSIBLY

Re: Help Needed Belly, I am having the same trouble m8. I started with just $50 beleive it or not and built that upto $2000. Im now back down to $1000 though as I thought I would never finish out the frame in sit and go's and was playing $55 and $77 tables. However Im dropping back to $22 for now but taking a few days break first. I think you should do the same m8, keep us updated. ;)

Re: Help Needed

Sometimes it's best to take a week or two off. Get back to wanting to play instead of wanting to not lose - the psychological difference can be quite a factor in how you play.
Excellent advice, too much poker can destroy your game, as your concentration levels dip, when in a slump, I reduce the number of games I play. making each one more important to me

Re: Help Needed

Looks like my kind of problem here. When I'm skint, with only a few quid to play with, I can often turn £10 into £50 with no problem at all. But then the ''I'm Invincible'' attitude kicks in and I start playing hands that I would have auto-folded before...and before I realise it, my stack has dwindled and I'm back to square one. I know this is how my winnings vanish and it is a difficult personality trait to try to overcome!
i am the same dodger......i can often turm £10/£20 into £50/£100, playing $3/$5. i tend to play these low limits, as i am not a rich man, and play within my means, for fun and to try to make a profit. i quite often deposit £10/£20, hammer the poker 4 a bit then withdraw my winnings. i have been playing for a year in nov, read no books, but learning the game on small stt's. when u hit a purple patch and everything seems to be going your way, it is tempting to slip into a game which is probably out of your league. i have a tendency to hit the 1/2 cash games and $20 stt's, which if i'm honest these are out of my league. i got some good advice from damo before, along the same lines, to take a break and then keep grinding away on lower limit tables. the problem is, when do u make that step up? when do u know that u have what it takes to play the higher limit games.... what i find after a break is, you come back and play your natural game, enjoy it more, and start making money again! oh and get as much advice from the guys(and gals) on here! dt