Rugby League: Super League - Round 27

Hello folks, below are the handicaps for Round 27 of Super League! Handicaps provided by totesport (my handicaps in red) Bradford Bulls v <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />Wakefield Wildcats +14pts (+16pts) <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Salford City Reds v Castleford Tigers +14pts (+10pts)

St Helens v Leeds Rhinos +10pts (+8pts)

Catalans Dragons v Huddersfield Giants +8pts (+6pts)

Harlequins RL v Wigan Warriors -8pts (-6pts)

Warrington Wolves v Hull FC -4pts (-4pts) Super League table:
GamesPointsPts

Played

Won

Draw

Loss

For

Against

Difference

St Helens

Hull

Leeds

Bradford

Salford

Warrington

Wigan

Huddersfield

Harlequins

Castleford

Wakefield

Catalan

As always, all thoughts welcome! More to follow! :ok

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Rugby League: Super League - Round 27

Milward's thoughts on this weeks action: RUGBY LEAGUE NEWS
spacer.gif
51610.jpg
Millward - Harlequins to bounce back.
FIGHT LEFT IN WILDCATS By Ian Millward Bradford v Wakefield This is a huge game for the Wildcats as defeat would condemn them to relegation. John Kear has already been confirmed as their coach for next season but there would be an exodus of players should they drop out of the top flight. I think they still have a chance of staying up but obviously that means winning this one. It isn't out of the question. The Bulls have been very inconsistent over the last month or so and one of the reasons behind that is they lack a little firepower in the forwards. They used to dominate opposition down the middle but the departure of Stuart Feilden has weakened them in this department. Bradford aren't the feared and ferocious team of recent seasons so if Wakefield can match them in the forwards, then they have a chance of grabbing a lifeline. Because of what is as stake, the visitors have to be the choice with the start in this one. If they capitulate and get beaten by more than 14 or 16 points then they deserve to go back to National One but I don't expect that to happen. Let's stick with the Wildcats with their backs against the wall. They have it all to play for, Bradford don't. Salford v Castleford Castleford could struggle here after the emotion of last week's victory over Harlequins. They will feel they are safe and their job is done. The game is also on at the same time as Wakefield's visit to Bradford so they won't know if the pressure is back on or not. Salford have been very hard to beat at home all season and I expect them to win and cover all areas. Last week at Huddersfield they squandered plenty of opportunities. Had they taken them then they would have been good winners. If they are more clinical they can do a job on Castleford and bring the Tigers back down to earth. Catalans v Huddersfield The important thing for the Dragons is that Jerome Guisset is back from suspension. He is a player who adds some authority to their forwards and I expect the hosts to win this and cover the start. The Giants have had two huge emotional weeks, the Challenge Cup final and then last week's win over Salford which they hope has preserved their Super League status. This is a quick turnaround for them and the French side will have a shock in store on their final home game of the season. St Helens v Leeds Never back against Saints at home. They are in fantastic form and can welcome back the likes of Jon Wilkin and Willie Talaua. I don't think Leeds are anywhere near the team they were last year. They have struggled to replace some of the players who left. Their form over the last month or two has been poor and without Danny McGuire they can lack attacking flair. Stick with Saints to win and cover. They are the in-form team. Harlequins v Wigan I am pretty keen on the home side here. They were very, very poor against Castleford last week and they will realise they need to get back on track. They are back at home and with a start they make plenty of appeal. The fear is the Wigan pack which has destroyed Leeds and Bradford in recent weeks. They are big, strong and aggressive but if Harlequins can cope in this department, they can push Wigan close. The visitors now know they can't be relegated and it wouldn't be a surprise to see a little dip in their performance. Warrington v Hull Warrington have been talked up as being a top four side for some time now but have lost nine of their last 12. Leeds last week put 50 on them, this week they face Hull and then St Helens. Now is the time for the players to stand up and be counted. If they are to make any impact on the play-offs then the Wolves need to start building momentum. They have been a huge disappointment this term while Hull keep saying they are not playing well but still find a way to win games. I am going for Warrington here. They are under pressure and desperately need a win. Hull are pretty much guaranteed second spot so I'll go for the Wolves, although not with much confidence. The NRL season has now reached the play-off stage. Here are my thoughts on the TV games: Brisbane v St George Over the last few weeks Brisbane have been the form team of the NRL and went two weeks in a row without conceding a try, including against these opponents. The Broncos have hit form at just the right time and while most people say Melbourne or Canberra will win the Grand Final, I can see Brisbane going all the way. I therefore expect them to win this one in front of 40,000 of their passionate fans. Their forwards are going really well while St George have been very inconsistent. The Dragons have a good record in Brisbane but even so the home side to cover all areas is the only way I can see this going. Melbourne v Parramatta Parramatta get ten points here because they have no front-rowers left. Every prop in their club is unavailable. In the last game they were steamrolled in that area by North Queensland and that is the worry here. Melbourne have lost only four games all season and are very methodical and keep chipping away. They can win and confirm their status as favourites for the NRL. Forwards win big games and in that department Melbourne and Brisbane look the strongest sides. Expect both to progress at the weekend.

Re: Rugby League: Super League - Round 27 :loon not many posts with views on here early doors. i'm of the thinking that it maybe because there are likely to be too many ifs and buts this week. i can see why people might think that bradford have little to play for being secure in 4th and that wakefield obviously do...making wakefield the value call... as regards hull millward says they are secure in 2nd. i'm confused :unsure 'cos the table says they are 4 points ahead of leeds with two to play. leeds have a better points difference. so if leeds managed to win their last two...not beyond the realms of possibility...amd hull lost their two, wouldn't they finish above them. apologies in advance if i've missed something. hull's recent form may have been indifferent but wires has hardly been scintillating so why do many feel wires will do the business this week? unless hull really do not have anything to play for. on recent form you'd have to fancy saints over leeds, especially if mcguire is till missing. suppose all the confusion stems from who will and who will not be motivated this week. indeed which teams have ulterior motives. ie which teams will be trying to stay injury free for the play-offs and which will want to go into the playoffs winning and winning well. a lot of factors to consider. :unsure likely to be many rumours and late selection changes just to confuse us even more. then there's castleford, now safe from relegation, so millward points out that with the emotion of last week's victory they might feel they are safe now so their job is done. i counter that in football, the round ball game, teams often play better once they are relegated or safe from the drop as they can relax. salford have been a revelation this season, especially in defence but they rarely slaughter teams and have a big handicap to overcome. anybody remember any strange results at the end of last season before the playoff? must admit that i've had my mind on other sport this week and have not been able to study up hard enough fathom out the answers to my questions. feel free to ridicule my suggestions and shoot me down, after all that's what these boards are for. :ok

I quite like the look of Hull to win at Warrington outright @ 1.67? Any views RL? I've also seen a lot of people backing wakey to win at Bradford, tough call IMO
Im not too sure mate, although Hull are the form team right now, I think that if St Helens beat Leeds then Hull's 2nd spot is secure and hence no pressure. Warrington, virtually guaranteed a playoff place, will want to make sure of 6th spot. They beat Hull at home earlier in the season, and are always a team worth backing with a (+) handicap and a team backing against with a (-) handicap. All in all, I will probably wait for the outcome in the Saints vs Leeds game before a punt on this one :ok

then there's castleford' date=' now safe from relegation, so millward points out that with the emotion of last week's victory they might feel they are safe now so their job is done. i counter that in football, the round ball game, teams often play better once they are relegated or safe from the drop as they can relax. salford have been a revelation this season, especially in defence but they rarely slaughter teams and have a big handicap to overcome.[/quote'] I couldn't get my head round Millward's comments re Castleford all week to be honest. His reasoning does not make sense.....to remind you all..... "They will feel they are safe and their job is done." This is utter crap, since when has a side felt safe from relegation when it has still a possible factor. Wakefield win tonight and Castleford lose it goes down to the wire! "The game is also on at the same time as Wakefield's visit to Bradford so they won't know if the pressure is back on or not." Is this or is this not a key factor? The fact that both sides play at the same time means that Castleford will not be thinking 'their job is done'. Crazy comment! "Salford have been very hard to beat at home all season and I expect them to win and cover all areas." True, but if he had done his homework he would realise that only on 5 occasions have Salford covered a handicap of 14pts at home this season, 4 of which were in their first 4 home games of the season. Recommendation: Castleford +14pts @ 1.90 betfred (2pts) Prediction - Salford win by 1pt (Scale 1-5pts) :hope

Im not too sure mate, although Hull are the form team right now, I think that if St Helens beat Leeds then Hull's 2nd spot is secure and hence no pressure. Warrington, virtually guaranteed a playoff place, will want to make sure of 6th spot. They beat Hull at home earlier in the season, and are always a team worth backing with a (+) handicap and a team backing against with a (-) handicap. All in all, I will probably wait for the outcome in the Saints vs Leeds game before a punt on this one :ok
must have been half asleep when i asked the question...i forgot that hull will already know the leeds result. really at this time of the season i think the matches should all kick off at the same time. must be the sky factor that has stopped that happening. as you probably know in footee last day games are always played at the same time so that in theory no one team has the advantage. thing is that so much money is at stake in sport that any advantage that can be gained is crucial. :)

must have been half asleep when i asked the question...i forgot that hull will already know the leeds result. really at this time of the season i think the matches should all kick off at the same time. must be the sky factor that has stopped that happening. as you probably know in footee last day games are always played at the same time so that in theory no one team has the advantage. thing is that so much money is at stake in sport that any advantage that can be gained is crucial. :)
I agree mearl, sky must have their fingers and toes crossed for a Wakefield vs Castleford relegation showdown.
anybody remember any strange results at the end of last season before the playoff?
In response to this question mate, the only game I can think of that didnt go quite to plan was Warrington's convincing win against Hull at the KC stadium (16-30) - however the Wires did have a certain Stacey Jones in their line-up. ;) and were thrashed a week later by Hull in the playoffs :\

I couldn't get my head round Millward's comments re Castleford all week to be honest. His reasoning does not make sense......
:okgood to see that you thought the same rugbylad, and that +14 is a decent start for castleford. think it could be a close call though. i've noticed before that millward sometimes makes his opening gambit saying how good a team, is then makes the opposition his selection. some weeks he talks of a rest being good for a team and other weeks he reckons that having a game when other teams have rested is perfect preparation. :unsure think when he was saints coach he was infamous (one match in particular) for resting players, and targetting certain matches, so now thinks he knows when teams are motivated or not. maybe i'm being a bit harsh. i'm sure a lot of my posts are also quite confusing too, but i would have thought that sporting life have copy writers to check his articles.

I agree mearl, sky must have their fingers and toes crossed for a Wakefield vs Castleford relegation showdown. In response to this question mate, the only game I can think of that didnt go quite to plan was Warrington's convincing win against Hull at the KC stadium (16-30) - however the Wires did have a certain Stacey Jones in their line-up. ;) and were thrashed a week later by Hull in the playoffs :\
think i remember watching him play. :notworthydidn't he come over from australia just before the playoffs and then go back when you were knocked out? :sad no i was thinking of andrew johns. :cow reminded me of a comic strip hero a mate of mine followed when i was at school. he could sign for a different team each week! :lol surprised it hasn't happened in football yet. baggies could sign ronaldinho. trouble is robbo would probably ask him to track back! :lol

Re: Rugby League: Super League - Round 27 Bradford were absolutely dreadful last week against Wigan. Ive got a good feeling about Wakey. 4.5 sounds like a good price to me. Wakey pushing a few of the top teams of late. Full strength. Bulls did hammer Wakey at Wakey but that was pre Kear. I think maybe their a bit stronger.

Re: Rugby League: Super League - Round 27 castleford kick off 15 minutes late due to crowd congestion...is that not an advantage for them to know how the wakefield match is panning out. just a conspiracy theory :unsure wakey should have shown this much fight all season :\