** April Poker League Result : 1st Like2Fish, 2nd McG, 3rd andybell666 **

5 horse flat races..

My uncle was very successful at betting on the horses, He had a system, well not really a system, more of a method i'd say.. Whereever there was a race on flat ground, where 5 and only 5 horses were competing, always bet on the favourite. He rarely lost and made big profits! He would wait a week or longer until exactly 5 horses were in a race on the flat, didn't even bet with 4 or 6 horses, had to be 5 everytime. I am going to continue this method and see how it goes, 20pts on each horse

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: 5 horse flat races.. I know a lot of people say to back the outsider of 3/4. I have no stats to support but am suprised if backing the fav in such races proves profitable. In small fields you often get an untruly run race. This being every horse just gallops round til a few furlongs out and then sprints to the finish. This often means form goes out the window as its nothing more than a sprint. Saying that, good luck and hope it works for you.

Re: 5 horse flat races..

I know a lot of people say to back the outsider of 3/4. I have no stats to support but am suprised if backing the fav in such races proves profitable. In small fields you often get an untruly run race. This being every horse just gallops round til a few furlongs out and then sprints to the finish. This often means form goes out the window as its nothing more than a sprint. Saying that, good luck and hope it works for you.
Yeah i know, i must say i know no reason why this should work, it was just a method he had of betting and it is probably more superstician i guess, but i want to see u know, im intreagued, hmm!

Ok here's the first... Salisbury 4.50 Favourite :hope 20pts staked.
tried that many systems and still in the poor house so why not give it a go i say think i will join u in £1 pt just put 60 in the bank lets hope we dont hve 3 loosers or back to the drawing board lets hope no non runners as first bet on good luck:notworthy

tried that many systems and still in the poor house so why not give it a go i say think i will join u in £1 pt just put 60 in the bank lets hope we dont hve 3 loosers or back to the drawing board lets hope no non runners as first bet on good luck:notworthy
Cheers buddy, its not really a system as has been pointed out, yeah if there are non runners then i will pull out so obviously i will be placing the bet 5 mins before the off, heres good luck to the both of us! :hope

Re: 5 horse flat races.. I did a lot of reaserch into this about 3yrs ago but that was for races of 5 runners or less after reading an artical about backing the 2nd fav EW in these races as you are getting a 1/4 the odds a place.Up till then this was performing very well and showing good profits but that was for backing in 3 and 4 runner races as well. MY VIEW IS THAT BACKING 2ND FAVS IN THESE RACES TO WIN IS THE ANSWER.[3,4 and 5 runner races] To be honest never looked at the favs in just 5 runner races and this could also be a good idea and my only concern being the ODDS as in a lot of these races the Fav can be very short and in some instances you would have to have at least 3 winners out of 5 races to show a Small profit if the other 2 lost.

Re: 5 horse flat races.. Thankyou for your thoughts The % Man. Some prices where there are few competitors in the race can get really slim and if they lost yeah it could take 2 races to build again. As i have said though, there is no logical reason why i am choosing this method. I am continuing what was just a great record.. Good start anyway :ok

Cheers buddy, looks very interesting, look forward to seeing the stats! :ok
On the 135 races so far this season [up to 26th Aug] you would have been showing a 15pts profit which is a YIELD OF +11.11 %. Whether your uncle had some staking plan or left out horses that were less than a certain Sp to improve on this I do not know,but with a 56.6% win s/rate he could well have had.

On the 135 races so far this season [up to 26th Aug] you would have been showing a 15pts profit which is a YIELD OF +11.11 %. Whether your uncle had some staking plan or left out horses that were less than a certain Sp to improve on this I do not know,but with a 56.6% win s/rate he could well have had.
Yeah possibly, plus i didnt know how much he staked so yeah maybe the amount varied with the sp, so if the lower the sp then maybe a higher stake! If the profit made is only 15pts over the 135 races (either he had a good run of races or as u say left horses/races out) although im sure he said he did every race. I will investigate after i return from holiday, cheers for your work on this mate.. :ok

maybe the amount varied with the sp' date=' so if the lower the sp then maybe a higher stake![/quote'] Please excuse my butting in as a statistician, but I have a very strong mathematical hunch that the exact opposite might work a little better here in the long run (which is all that counts, after all): the higher the SP the higher the stake. As with almost all systems, the shorter the SP the worse the value will be - and this is surely going to be even more specifically true with a system involving favourites than with any old random "system". Add to this the fact that some of the really short ones will doubtless actually be promoted by newspaper tipsters whose involvement makes the selections even shorter at SP than they would otherwise have been, and the better value selections (and therefore the ones on which you should put more money) must certainly be the slightly longer ones, I would suggest ... ;) A suitable staking plan to have a look at, if I may make a suggestion, would be one with the stakes roughly in proportion to the price ... for example, 1% of the bank per SP point (so that you stake 1% at evens but 2% at 2/1, for example) ... just a suggestion, please ignore me completely if it's unwelcome ... :\ Good luck with your interesting system ... :)

Please excuse my butting in as a statistician' date=' but I have a very strong mathematical hunch that the exact opposite might work a little better here in the long run (which is all that counts, after all): the [b']higher the SP the higher the stake. As with almost all systems, the shorter the SP the worse the value will be - and this is surely going to be even more specifically true with a system involving favourites than with any old random "system". Add to this the fact that some of the really short ones will doubtless actually be promoted by newspaper tipsters whose involvement makes the selections even shorter at SP than they would otherwise have been, and the better value selections (and therefore the ones on which you should put more money) must certainly be the slightly longer ones, I would suggest ... ;) A suitable staking plan to have a look at, if I may make a suggestion, would be one with the stakes roughly in proportion to the price ... for example, 1% of the bank per SP point (so that you stake 1% at evens but 2% at 2/1, for example) ... just a suggestion, please ignore me completely if it's unwelcome ... :\ Good luck with your interesting system ... :)
No no no any suggestions are welcome and thankyou for your thoughts! I am away tonight for a week but when i return i will look into this more with suggestions like from yourself and the % man. Thankyou for your comments! :)