How common is this?

6ooner

I've not come across this before but then I try and avoid rebuys, but if you buy into a tourney for say $10 and you're immediatley offered a rebuy it would seem to be a $20 tourney. Then when rebuys are offered when you lose your stack you can rebuy twice the amount of starting chips it seems that you're only really being offered the chance of buying in at half price. Is this normal for a rebuy? And how can you tell if it's this sort of rebuy as opposed to just being able to rebuy the original starting amount when your chip have gone?:unsure

Re: How common is this? Don't usually play rebuys, but was in one last night and about 20% of the table bought extra chips before play. You could rebuy at any time during first 30 minutes if your chips were less than starting amount, then the addon was, as you say here, double chips. There must be some sort of strategy on when to buy, but I haven't got a clue what it would be! So, 49 entries at $2, then 43 rebuys and 33 addons...if this is average then a rebuy game may cost you triple the original stake...think I'll stay away from them in future, it just confuses the hell out of me!

Re: How common is this? i hear what u guys are saying. rebuys can also be very profitable the guys who rebuy to the double there stack b4 play starts often play loose and u can double up pretty quick without re buying and then sit back and enjoy. i hear u say but loose play also gets rewarded,which sometimes it does but u have to take ur chances against loose players 80% of the time you,ll be ok. i often play rebuys and about 8 out of 10 times i got to the final table with no re buys and just 1 add on twice these were to qualify me 4 a $10,000 guaranteed tourney not bad for $6.60 outlay a $55 dollar seat once winning $120 and nothing the other time. my point is alot of profit to be made in rebuys,but as in all tourneys gotta take rough with smooth as these people who rebuy b4 tourney starts will play almost anything as my AA was beaten by 67 os all in pre flop LOL shit happens :ok

Re: How common is this? The most common strategy I've seen for rebuys is to rebuy immediately so you have a double starting stack, then go all in pre-flop with almost any two cards and hope to build a large stack early on. If you bust out, rebuy twice immediately. The theory being that having only a single stack means you're leaving chips on the table when you push in and win. Once the add-on comes, take it. Sure, you might end up spending $100 in a $10 rebuy, but you're much more likely to make FT, and when you win, you'll win a lot more. Rebuys should be treated as at least 5x the buy in, so a $10 rebuy should be treated (in bankroll terms) like a $50 freezeout.

Re: How common is this? When I was in Vegas I picked up the tournament timetable and rules from Caesars Palace. The buy in is $80, rebuys are $50. Chips/Rebuy are 1500/3000. Rebuys are made during the first two rounds and must be completed before going on break. It seems chips are a lot cheaper when you rebuy than when you pay the buy in.

Re: How common is this? i have played in a few re-buys but tend to avoid them like the plague, yes the prize pools are well worth it but that depends on how much you are willing to spend , i have been in a few $5 and $10 rebuys and the poker being played was no better then a freeroll untill the rebuy period was over then the play seems to calm down. my advice would be to decide how many rebuys you are willing to get and stick to it (have seen people get 10 to 15 rebuys and in reality , unless they finish in top 20 they are at a loss), play tight in the rebuy period, if you get a monster hand, go for it (dont be suprised if you lose to a weak hand) , if you make it to the end of the rebuy period with a decent amount of chips you stand a good chance.

Re: How common is this?

When I was in Vegas I picked up the tournament timetable and rules from Caesars Palace. The buy in is $80, rebuys are $50. Chips/Rebuy are 1500/3000. Rebuys are made during the first two rounds and must be completed before going on break. It seems chips are a lot cheaper when you rebuy than when you pay the buy in.
most tourneys i played when i was in vegas were nothing like online rebuys, binions for example was something like $60 buy in , pay an extra $10 when you register for and extra 1000 chips then you were allowed one re-buy or add on for $40, was a good format and with the limited amount of buy ins the poker was of quite a good standard