Golf - Dubai Desert Classic (2-5 Feb)

Whilst David is sorting out the winner for us, i thought i would post these 2 selections up (especially as they are on Sports punter also) Ernie Els 15/2 VC Bet won this tournament 3 times, would be favourite without Tiger who makes a rare PGA European appearance (of course its the appearance fee from the arabs). Els was injured for half of last season but showed his wellbeing when winning his 1st tournament back in December. 5pts to win Nick Dougherty 50/1 VC Bet is my one to watch this season as he makes his claim for a ryder cup spot. Tied 6th in this last year, he finished 4th in last weeks event & will be one to consider whilst the bookies still price him at 50's (after he wins one, he'll be down in price, no worries). 2pts ew

Re: Dubai Desert Classic

Whilst David is sorting out the winner for us' date=' i thought i would post these 2 selections up (especially as they are on Sports punter also)[/quote'] :rollin I'm not too sure about that bowles! That was my first golf tournament winner for about 8 months I think!! I'll have a look through and see what I reckon is good value. Can't go wrong with Ernie, solid as a rock and I'm expecting Nick Dougherty to make the step up this season so he can go close.:ok

Re: Golf - Dubai Desert Classic (2-5 Feb) Right some of the big guns are battling it out here this week taking a break from the PGA Tour and enjoying the delights that the are Tiger Woods, Reteif Goosen & Ernie Els. With those 3 in the field they're obviously going to head the betting and rightly so and therefore provide some each way value down the field. For me Colin Montgomerie provides that this week. Fresh from winning his 8th Order of Merit title, his confidence must be high especially after puching Tiger all the way at the British Open at St Andrews. Monty has a good record here having won here before and he has finished in the top 6 on 5 occasions in the past. Ernie is a major threat being a 4 time winner and defending champion but the defending champion has never in the history of this gone on to defend his title. Tiger is Tiger and you know what you get with him, on his day he's awesome but he is prone to err. Hopefully Monty can keep it straight and on the fairway and get at least a top5 finish. Colin Montgomerie 2pts each way at 26.0 ladbrokes

Re: Golf - Dubai Desert Classic (2-5 Feb) Completly new to the forum so I hope I don´t step on anyones toes, but here are my thoughts: Stenson 2nd two weeks ago and 1st last week still give good money (14/1 Ladbrokes) although Tiger is as said above playing. They are playing together with Clark on the first day. I saw Stenson live in The Royal Trophy and if he can keep playing like he did then I´ll be rich, had a bet on him in UAE and the same in Qatar so at least I still have a decent profit. This week I also like the odds on Dimarco (16/1) and Parnevik(33/1) (Yes I´m Swedish). Dimarco won in UAE after excellent putting and chipping and Parnevik has two top tens in the last two comps on US tour. I will back Stenson again and will also put a smaller amount on Dimarco and Parnevik. Wish me luck!

Re: Golf - Dubai Desert Classic (2-5 Feb) Ok here are my Sports Punter Golf selections this week; Dubai Deset Classic TJaidee to bt RJacquelin 72 Holes 10pts 1.80 @ SOdds Must oppose Jacquelin who is struggling to find his best form, he his matched up against Jaidee which suits me because he his solid, consistant and been in the money already this season. CMontgomerie to bt HStenson 72 Holes 10pts 2.10 @ Stan James Although Stenson won last week and is in great form i cant believe he his 8/11 against Monty in a match up so must oppose him for the value. Monty has carefully planned his schedule to have a right go at the big tournaments and will be thereabouts. FBR Open JRollins to bt TLehman 72 Holes 10pts 1.90 @ BetDirect John Rollins is coming into form and finished well last week, also played well on this course and is taken to beat the veteran Tom Lehman who is also palying quite well without setting the world alight nowadays. DChopra (E/W) Top European 2pts E/W 25/1 @ Bet 365 Daniel Chopra is emerging as real consistant player on the US Tour, the European contingent isnt that good and Garcia is 13/8 fav which is bad value. The likes of Rose, Cejka, Levet and Langer are all too inconsistant for my liking and Olazabal missed his chance last week. 25/1 is great value in my opinion. BH

Re: Golf - Dubai Desert Classic (2-5 Feb) a first class field assembled here i dont think its as cut and dried as it looks ive looked out two players from my short list of karlsson 100/1 jiminez 40/1 dredge 66/1 havret 125/1 i dropped stenson last week in favour of fasth ( bad choice ) im going for dredge & havret both with 365, on the 72 hole match els to beat woods 11/8 365 looks a nice wee touch and should lead to a final days shoot out :beer

Re: Golf - Dubai Desert Classic (2-5 Feb) here are my selections: Jiminez 2pts e/w 40/1 @ totalbet + others Jiminez finished 2nd here last year just missing out to Els after leading at the end of rounds 2 & 3. His form is decent as he finished 5th two weeks ago. fasth 1pt e/w 50/1 @ totalbet & others he was in contention to win last weeks quatar masters before finished 4th. He was runner up in this event to Els in 2002 and finished 22nd in 2005. He didn't play here in 2003 or 2004. and onto Els: Els to finish top 5 @ 2.5 & to win outright @ 8.5 both with expekt. Els record for past 5 years here reads: 2005 1st 2004 3rd 2003 2nd 2002 1st 2001 3rd Has woods to contend with but this is an event he loves.

Re: Golf - Dubai Desert Classic (2-5 Feb) Well after the 1st round it looks like 4pts down the drain with Monty posting a +2 score leaving him a whole 10 shots behind the leaders already. Those of you on Nick Dougherty must be pleased after he posted a very respectable -5 to leave him 3 behind the leaders.

Re: Golf - Dubai Desert Classic (2-5 Feb)

Well after the 1st round it looks like 4pts down the drain with Monty posting a +2 score leaving him a whole 10 shots behind the leaders already. Those of you on Nick Dougherty must be pleased after he posted a very respectable -5 to leave him 3 behind the leaders.
Just found this story on the Beeb about his divorce settlement!£15m!:eek Maybe hismind wasn't on the golf, can't blame him! http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/golf/4672782.stm

Re: Golf - Dubai Desert Classic (2-5 Feb) 1st rd leaders 64 Retief Goosen (RSA), Richard Green (Aus), Jamie Donaldson 66 David Lynn, Ross Bain 67 Nick Dougherty, Nick O'Hern (Aus), Niclas Fasth (Swe), Tiger Woods (USA), Henrik Stenson (Swe), Paul Casey 68 Martin Erlandsson (Swe), Anders Hansen (Den), Oliver Wilson, Joakim Backstrom (Swe), Barry Lane, Lee Westwood, Ernie Els (Rsa), Constantino Rocca (Ita), Mark Foster, Darren Clarke, Raphael Jacquelin (Fra), Damien McGrane yep, pleased with Nick Dougherty's opening round today. Els had a reasonable one also to finish -4. Fasth is in there also.

Re: Golf - Dubai Desert Classic (2-5 Feb) Yes, was on Monty aswell and just never seemed on the job. After two rounds i reckon Goosen is not a bad bet at 3.65 at Betfair, Tiger is 2.62 and will surely be feeling his long haul and time zone differences he travelled to get here by Sunday. Hope so anyway, but he his Superman after all!

Re: Golf - Dubai Desert Classic (2-5 Feb)

Whilst David is sorting out the winner for us, i thought i would post these 2 selections up (especially as they are on Sports punter also) Ernie Els 15/2 VC Bet won this tournament 3 times, would be favourite without Tiger who makes a rare PGA European appearance (of course its the appearance fee from the arabs). Els was injured for half of last season but showed his wellbeing when winning his 1st tournament back in December. 5pts to win Nick Dougherty 50/1 VC Bet is my one to watch this season as he makes his claim for a ryder cup spot. Tied 6th in this last year, he finished 4th in last weeks event & will be one to consider whilst the bookies still price him at 50's (after he wins one, he'll be down in price, no worries). 2pts ew
Els 2nd Beaten in play off by Woods:wall :wall Cant believe he took a driver & then missed the fairway & tried to hit the green from the trees over the water. Should have just laid up & tried for the birdie especially as woods wasnt going to hit an eagle. Dougherty had a quieter day finishing T9 after all. Not a bad run for my money.

Re: Golf - Dubai Desert Classic (2-5 Feb) He should have played the percentages and laid up, I bet Els is probly thinking the same with hindsight. Thankfully I can still get some castle Lagers from Els, and some san miguels from Jiminez for his place finish. I laid off some of my Els bet at 1.3 on betfair at around the 12th hole today.