Becoming a bookie

Guys, I am thinking of joining the darkside and making a career change into bookmaking as IT is not the area I want to stick around in. Would like to be an on course bookie though but my experience means I can't get a pitch and start off myself, so would be looking to learn the ropes first and then branch out on my own. Does anyone know the best way of hooking up with a current bookie who maybe looking for an assistant?

Re: Becoming a bookie Andy, Not in the game myself, so hopefully someone else on here can come up with something more definite. My cousin was thinking of this a while back. You could try the National Joint Pitch Council site. njpc-ltd.co.uk they have a link to put up jobs wanted & I would have thought you could call them for advice. Always seems to me to be a bit of a closed shop, eg. family, friends etc. only & a bit tough to get into, but you could always get to the races an hour early & ask a few, ok some will tell you to **** off, but everyone has to start somewhere, you're local dog track has obviously so many more meetings & starting there learning suppose you could still keep your day job. When you are saying about your experience that you can't get a pitch yourself, is this a requirement, or do you not think that you would be ready ? If it is possible to get day pitches in the silver ring somewhere might be worth having a go just to dip your toes in. The ones at Newmarket july take very little money & the prices they give are shit, so not much risk there, oh & there's always Betfair. Let us know how you get on. All the best, Khartoum.

Re: Becoming a bookie Andy, I know what you're saying about going to the course, I love going myself, but when you've got the travelling to consider, I dunno you have to be there say 1 hour b4 the first & 1/2 hour after the last. Unless you're very close to courses that's a fair bit of lost time. As far as pricing up a race goes, I'm sure all bookmakers know how to, but it's generally only 1 or 2 that put their prices up first & then the rest follow. So the rest are only working to their margins, the bigger ones are the only ones taking a real view against say the favourite or whoever, just my opinion. I'd say if you fancy it give it a go, if you're worried about your ability to price up a race, try it on the big races of the day & see how you get on. Dunno thought there might be someone in the game on here that might be able to give some real advice though. All the best, Khartoum.