The Grand National.....

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: The Grand National..... He has a huge chance mate - nicely weighted, stays forever, a decent jumper and has a touch of class. - 2nd in 2 Gold Cups and prefers going left handed. Unfortunately i only took 16/1. My bets this year are Garvivonnian ew @ 33/1 Sir Rembrandt ew @ 16/1 Numbersix 17.0 win, 4.9 place

Re: The Grand National..... AK some nice info on here thanks mate :ok Numbersixv... seems to want it soft, that would be my concern with that horse. Same goes for Garvivonnian (and the age?) I like Sir Rembrandt and also Joes Edge as already mentioned on here. Keep going back to Ballycassidy if the ground really dries out at a big price Danny

Re: The Grand National.....

Numbersixv... seems to want it soft, that would be my concern with that horse. Same goes for Garvivonnian (and the age?)
The fact that the ground is getting firmer is a concern, especially for No6. I am not so worried about Garv's age though. I let that put me off Amberleigh House a couple of years ago, and we all know what happened then!

Re: The Grand National..... Without actually looking at form, I ran the horses through a few rules and guidelines and got left with the below 6. Clan Royal Colnel Rayburn Heros Collonges Innox Lord Of Illusion Silver Birch Out of them Im most tempted by Clan Royal(very short price though) and Innox. Silver Birch would be a consideration but he's booked for a breathing op close season which is off putting.

Re: The Grand National..... I have a really strong feeling for Le Duc, Twice placed over these fences they seem to bring out the best in him. I do not think he should be double the price of Garvivonian based on his 2nd to him over 3m 3f. Le duc gets a pull and was staying on 70 on betfair is just too big.

Clan Royal The biggest national banker for years.
SB, with 40 runners in the field, not so sure about it being banker material. So many things can happen in this race ie jockey blunder or pure bad luck aka last year. GL:hope

Re: The Grand National..... Well since my money is already on it, I thought i'd throw this one into the mix: HAUT DE GAMME Purely picked it on the basis of a tip i've been given (I know tips for the national are usually a pile of the proverbial but there you go) This tip has been flying round where I live and the bookies I work in has took more money for this horse than we have for any other (by thousands). Anyway just thought i'd share. Good luck to all on Saturday

Re: The Grand National..... JOE'S EDGE for me , meets all the right criteria ,according to the stats AGE - 9, WEIGHT - 10:10, Won over 3 miles [won last years Scottish National], In top 10 in the betting Ground condition's should suit [providing there's no more rain:hope ] 22-1 still available , Great e.way bet .

Re: The Grand National..... RIGHT PEOPLES TEAR UP ANY SELECTIONS YOU FANCY AT THE TOP OF THE HANDICAP! as it is currently a monsoon here in Liverpool at the moment! Fcuking weather forecasters fcuked up again!!! Seriously it is going to be a bog tomorrow for the race and if the rain continues it could seriously get called off!!! Here is chance for us all to get some value now before the bookies find out about the deluge and start carving their prices on the soft ground low weighted animals in the field... I'll be looking into the field and hopefully pick out some horses with value who will love this ground - IF THE MEETING GOES AHEAD...

Re: The Grand National..... oops! ALMOST FORGOT TO MENTION- The deluge started at about 7.30 pm here and does not look like it is going to relent anytime soon, it's currently 9.25pm and it's not your average soft rainfall, it's Amazon Monsoon Rainfall... not puddles! but fcuking rivers flowing down the streets!!! hope this helps give an analysis in to how bad the ground is really going to be!

Re: The Grand National..... The deluge of rain seems to have subsided now, however it is still stop starting the rain and could be on for a night of it! Now I have looked through the field and seen horses who will like this ground just maybe stamina issues with 1 or 2 to be honest I feel it really is gonna take some getting for any horse so, here are my powers of deductions so far and hoping the winner and placed horses come from this lot, in no particular order I may add: Innox - Puntal - Ebony Light - Ballycassidy - Numbersixvalverde - Jack High - Haut De Gamme - Nil Desperandum - Baron Windrush - Ross Comm - Direct Access - Tyneandthyneagain So 12 horses to choose from narrowing the field down, I will look further into their form and hopefully come down to 5 or 6 horses with genuine good chances if this rain continues!

The deluge of rain seems to have subsided now, however it is still stop starting the rain and could be on for a night of it! Now I have looked through the field and seen horses who will like this ground just maybe stamina issues with 1 or 2 to be honest I feel it really is gonna take some getting for any horse so, here are my powers of deductions so far and hoping the winner and placed horses come from this lot, in no particular order I may add: Innox - Puntal - Ebony Light - Ballycassidy - Numbersixvalverde - Jack High - Haut De Gamme - Nil Desperandum - Baron Windrush - Ross Comm - Direct Access - Tyneandthyneagain So 12 horses to choose from narrowing the field down, I will look further into their form and hopefully come down to 5 or 6 horses with genuine good chances if this rain continues!
Cheers for the update Jonesy, i'm on Nil Desperandum & Innox so fell pretty confident with those 2 making a place.

Re: The Grand National..... Sorry Bowles just seen your post about pullig your plonka's! Seriously it was bad the rain and it will have had an effect to some degree with at least turning the ground to soft! Really it was fcuking loads of rain! when it comes to backing mate i don't put up an opinion if i did not genuinley feel strongly about it! Let's say the rain stops from now until the race, it may have time to drain and at the very least get to soft with good patches! but we are a coastal city so when the rain hits like that, it tends not to be one brisk shower and then fcuks off, it tends to be a quite few brisk showers! so I envisage more over night! but I promise to give everyone an up to date report as soon as I get up in the morning!

Re: The Grand National..... Well...I honestly can't see past Innox. Has very classy form and IMO has the beating of Hedgehunter. Strictly speaking on a line through Hedgehunter he doesn't, but I think there's more to come from this horse. If it stays, it wins as far as I'm concerned. :eek Another that people seem to have ignored is Sir Oj. This has the credentials IMO and the connections like it's chances. Is a much bigger price than he should be. :ok

Another that people seem to have ignored is Sir Oj. This has the credentials IMO and the connections like it's chances. Is a much bigger price than he should be. :ok
1 of my original picks earlier in this thread. right Ive come to a conclusion. My picks.
:OWSize('','http://www.racingpost.co.uk/horses/racing_horse_form.sd?horse_id=513760&race_id=398944',720,480,'no','yes','yes')'>Garvivonnian Reliable handicapper whose wealth of experience over fences counts as a big plus and who proved his mettle over these fences when plucky winner of the Becher Chase over 3m3f here in November (clutch of these close up behind); has run well since, been trained with this in mind and, having strongly suggested that this trip will be well within range, is high on the list. 15/1 :OWSize('','http://www.racingpost.co.uk/horses/racing_horse_form.sd?horse_id=540426&race_id=398944',720,480,'no','yes','yes')'>Hedgehunter Ridden far too forcefully when a last-fence faller when a tiring third in this in 2004 and, with Ruby Walsh taking over, duly showed significant improvement when running away with this last year, skipping 14l clear on the run-in with 13 of these behind; 12lb higher mark is very fair and, having bettered that form again when second in last month´s Cheltenham Gold Cup, is the class act in a far from exceptional field; has had only four races this season so very good chance that he will be fresh enough. Although Im doubting this now if we get any more rain but I cant leave it. 7/1 :OWSize('','http://www.racingpost.co.uk/horses/racing_horse_form.sd?horse_id=512065&race_id=398944',720,480,'no','yes','yes')'>Haut De Gamme Lots of experience as a chaser, including when coping well with these obstacles in two tries here, latest when keeping on well into close fifth behind Garvivonnian in the Becher Chase in November; shaped there as if even farther may suit and warrants close consideration with Keith Mercer preferring him to Joes Edge. 29/1 :OWSize('','http://www.racingpost.co.uk/horses/racing_horse_form.sd?horse_id=564065&race_id=398944',720,480,'no','yes','yes')'>Sir Oj Two big wins this winter, in a 2m5f Cheltenham handicap and improving on that in a Grade 2 2m race at Naas; well weighted on latter piece of form, officially 8lb well in for this early-closing race; forgiven uncharacteristic latest fall as he is generally a pretty sound jumper but this massive step up in trip is a big concern. 34/1 :OWSize('','http://www.racingpost.co.uk/horses/racing_horse_form.sd?horse_id=562395&race_id=398944',720,480,'no','yes','yes')'>Ross Comm Fell in the Hennessy but that looks an aberration as he has proved an accomplished jumper otherwise; upped in grade but latest eased-down win off this mark at Bangor suggests he is still progressing; not to be underestimated, assuming he stays this longer trip (winner over 3m2f on heavy ground but unproven over farther). 17/1 All 5pts E/W except HHunter 12pts on the nose.

Re: The Grand National..... Update on the weather is that the horrible weather of yesterday evening didn't carry on into the wee small hours, however it'd horribly overcast at the moment and we could still catch a few showers before the off! I would say it is soft with the odd good patches... I'm still leaning towards swerving the top weighted animals as I feel there are some lightly weighted horses with a very good chances if everything clicks into place as this is The Grand National and anything can happen! My only tip for everyone today is don't go overboard with your cash in this race as it is the one race that really anything can happen, a few horses can fall in front of your pick and that's your race over so have a fun bet and :hope