MLB Playoffs Bingo Bango Bongo

MLB Divisional Series -Stevie Flack a.k.a Tarquin De Winter <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Best of 5 – Starts Tuesday 4th October

Well Yankee backers can breath a temporary sigh of relief. Thanks to a decent late run, and mini- collapses from both Boston and Cleveland, they managed to take their place as AL East Champions (albeit tied at the top with Boston.) Boston sneaked the wildcard on the last day, beating the Yankees at Fenway Park as a stuttering Cleveland failed to take the repeated chances that came their way in the final week.

So its divisional series time and there will be plenty of TV coverage for you to enjoy- along with some decent punting opportunities.In the American League the bookies have responded by making the Yankees and Red Sox strong odds on to beat the Angels and Whites Sox respectively. I think this is an over reaction and underestimates the quality of Anaheim and Chicago. Over in the National League, there is a prohibitive price about the Cardinals who should have far too much for the Padres, the winners of a very poor NL West. Houston clinched the wildcard on the last day and will now face the Atlanta Braves, which is where I am going to start.

Atlanta went 5-1 against Houston this year, which included a straight sweep in Houston. Now arguably Houston does have the slightly better rotation of starting pitchers, but they have one major problem- lack of run support. The first two games are in Atlanta, where Schmoltz should pitch the first game, followed by the very steady Tim Hudson in the 2nd- these guys are no mugs and with the run producing Atlanta line-up behind them (including Andrew Jones having a career year), it is highly plausible that Atlanta could be travelling to Houston for game 3 sporting a 2-0 lead.

Houston’s difficulty in producing runs can be highlighted in a complete lack of RBI’s (Runs Batted In.) If Ensberg and Berkman struggle to produce, there really are no other power hitters that can step and change a game with one swing of the bat. For this reason I’m taking the power of the Atlanta bats to be more than enough to counteract Houston’s slight advantage in starting pitching- and at a really good price.

ATLANTA 5pts 11/10 or 2.1 @ Stan James

The other National League Play-off is between the St Louis Cardinals and the San Diego Padres. The Cardinals should have far too much for the Padres, but at a price of 1.22 or 2/9 there is not a lot of value to be had. However, it really would not surprise me to see this one go 3-0 to the Cards.

American League

NY Yankees vs. Anaheim Angels

The bookies have responded to the Yanks sneaking into the Playoffs by making them strong odds on to beat the Angels. I think they are doing a great disservice to the talented Angels ball club. The New York pitching is still very suspect. Aside from the rejuvenated Randy Johnson, the Yanks head into the playoffs with an ailing Mike Mussina, and the inexperienced duo of Shawn Chacon and Aaron Small. Mussina is scheduled to start the 1st game but he’s been flamed in 3 of his last 4 starts, suffering with various ailments. Against him will be Colon the Anaheim ace. Game 2 will feature Chacon for the Yanks, he’s done well so far, but away from home and in the playoffs I have a feeling that he may just get found out. To this end, it’s not out of the realms of possibility that Anaheim will travel to New York with a healthy 2-0 lead.

We all know the power of the Yankees, but don’t underestimate the run producing capabilities of the Angels. Lead by the amazing Vlad Guerrero, they have a nice blend of power and speed, which means they can produce runs in many different ways, not just relying on the homerun to get out of a jam. Chone Figgins has stolen an incredible 60 bases this season, and if he starts well, it could spell trouble for the potentially dodgy Yankees pitching staff. The Angels also have an excellent bullpen and closer. I think they are overpriced at 6/4 or 2.5 to beat the Yanks and with the potential for a good start, could travel to New York in an extremely strong position. 3pts ANGELS WIN @6/4 or 2.5

The final series features Boston vs. White Sox.

The White Sox have some great starting pitching and a decent bullpen, but they do suffer from a lack of power. Boston has struggled all year with a lack of starting pitching, a ropey set of relievers and makeshift closing pitching. However, they do have probably the best offence in baseball, with Ramirez and Ortiz just piling on the runs.

I can see this series swinging from lights out pitching from the White Sox to a night of heavy run scoring from the Bo Sox.There really is little to choose between them, but I just think it may go the distance and the White Sox have the potential to sneak it.

1pt WHITE SOX win 5/4 or 2.25

5 pts ATLANTA win 11/10 or 2.1 @ Stan James 3pts ANGELS WIN @6/4 or 2.5 1pt WHITE SOX win 5/4 or 2.25

This thread has more posts. To see them, you'll need to sign up or sign in.