8 Lahina Bay 15 103.60 37.75
9 Kit Gabriel 23 102.40 38.53
10 Betties Bay 17 100.92 10.92
11 Grenham Bay 23 96.51  
12 Toussarok 81 92.72  
13 Sky Warrior 17 83.13  
14 Glamorous Express 41 83.02  
15 Ashwiyaa 34 74.96  

7:20 Windsor, Tremblant e/w at 16.3 (had to settle for 4 places, would've taken 14/1 to 5).

At least the template seems to be working!

Tremblant is your typical "over the cliff" horse, i have top rated it every time it has run since it arrived from The Andre Fabre stable which is 10 runs ago it came close just once. That being said it will win a race sooner or later i have no doubt. One could argue that at 14/1 it is a reasonable ew bet in a race of this nature and that would be valid but caution must be advised.

3 hours ago, Zilzalian said:

Tremblant is your typical "over the cliff" horse, i have top rated it every time it has run since it arrived from The Andre Fabre stable which is 10 runs ago it came close just once. That being said it will win a race sooner or later i have no doubt. One could argue that at 14/1 it is a reasonable ew bet in a race of this nature and that would be valid but caution must be advised.

I backed it each way at 14/1 for 5 places so I didn't lose.  I watched the race.  It was slow away and was switched around later on and that is why I think it lost.  Interesting the write ups from the Sporting Press. Sporting Life Results say "In rear, pushed along well over 2f out, headway on outer well over 1f out, ran on, no impression final furlong op 11/1" and the RP says:

"Dwelt start, in rear, switched left and headway on outer from 2f out, disputing fourth inside final furlong, kept on (op 11/1)"

The first explanation was misleading and the RP more accurate IMO

1 hour ago, The Equaliser said:

I backed it each way at 14/1 for 5 places so I didn't lose.  I watched the race.  It was slow away and was switched around later on and that is why I think it lost.  Interesting the write ups from the Sporting Press. Sporting Life Results say "In rear, pushed along well over 2f out, headway on outer well over 1f out, ran on, no impression final furlong op 11/1" and the RP says:

"Dwelt start, in rear, switched left and headway on outer from 2f out, disputing fourth inside final furlong, kept on (op 11/1)"

Both things can be true, watching a race is all about personal opinions/interpretations that's how you end up with a variance in odds and you get people who like to read these write ups instead of using your own eyes. You said you think the RP is more accurate, nothing wrong with that statement but i look before a race not after it, a 4yo and has only won 1 race and that was over 7.5f on the aw polytrack this was a sprint. How many more clues does anyone need to not back a horse? I noticed the discussion on here and no one mentioned any of those things i just highlighted, it all revolved around the price and places.

1 hour ago, Villa Chris said:

@Zilzalian do you do your own odds? 

No. I try to use common sense (try 😂) or experience. loosely - I have my speed figures and basically use them for pattern races, i go with the thinking- will it win? if yes i will back it as long as it is a decent price ie over 5/1, i try not to micro manage my bets. That's not to say occasionally i don't back at shorter prices if i think its a shoe in i will back it no matter what the odds are with the proviso-never back odds on. For all other racing ie h/caps et al i just mess about with lucky 15's based on what i know. I can't understand why punters can't seem to get their heads round the fact that lower grade (below pattern racing) is about as straight as a spiral staircase or in many cases down the lower grade handicaps just bad, old or inconsistent horses. There are many on here that will disagree with me and that's fine each to their own i can only tell you what works for me. And the biggest asset to "successful betting" imho is honesty with yourself, that may sound odd but how many people come up with excuses for why they backed a loser (i have done it myself). instead of analysing how/why they got it wrong, so find a reason and not an excuse so you can learn from it, it makes a big difference. Went off script there because i like to use a paragraph instead of a word 😂😂😂

12 hours ago, The Equaliser said:

All over the track! Based on just that run I'd be interested next time but reading this thread...maybe not 😂

1 hour ago, Zilzalian said:

No. I try to use common sense (try 😂) or experience. loosely - I have my speed figures and basically use them for pattern races, i go with the thinking- will it win? if yes i will back it as long as it is a decent price ie over 5/1, i try not to micro manage my bets. That's not to say occasionally i don't back at shorter prices if i think its a shoe in i will back it no matter what the odds are with the proviso-never back odds on. For all other racing ie h/caps et al i just mess about with lucky 15's based on what i know. I can't understand why punters can't seem to get their heads round the fact that lower grade (below pattern racing) is about as straight as a spiral staircase or in many cases down the lower grade handicaps just bad, old or inconsistent horses. There are many on here that will disagree with me and that's fine each to their own i can only tell you what works for me. And the biggest asset to "successful betting" imho is honesty with yourself, that may sound odd but how many people come up with excuses for why they backed a loser (i have done it myself). instead of analysing how/why they got it wrong, so find a reason and not an excuse so you can learn from it, it makes a big difference. Went off script there because i like to use a paragraph instead of a word 😂😂😂

Some very good and valid points and i suppose i should be one of the "many" to disagree with you, but i don't, because what you're saying is right. They are just puzzles to me and i like to try and work them out, but it does take a lot of time and effort and as my results on here have shown over the last 2/3 years (and as you have said many times) "if you don't put the time in, your results will suffer". I'll be lucky to get through 3/4 races nowadays and have to pick something out of those. The one thing i have enjoyed recently is when all of you guys do your ratings with all your high-tech gizmos and post them on here and it's a race i have looked through. I will try to just note the one's i've picked, (unless a price is in free-fall) then look to see if they match up with what you guys have posted, just for clarity really, doesn't always work, but nice to know my time wasn't wasted. 

On 7/22/2024 at 12:27 PM, harry_rag said:

7:20 Windsor, Tremblant e/w at 16.3 (had to settle for 4 places, would've taken 14/1 to 5).

2nd one in the last couple of days where I've been done by not having the extra place onside though, in this case, I think I didn't have the option rather than swerving based on price. A man's got to know his limitations and I'm happy to accept that a simple rating system based on 3 freely available RP numbers is never going to be the holy grail especially when I'm not applying any subjective overview of the sort that @Zilzalian uses to sort the wheat from the you know what. But it's a definitely a step up in terms of how I'd have selected bets previously (unless I was following any of you lot) and it's allowing me to fine tune the spreadsheet.

Speaking of which, how about we take it for a run with a combined effort on one of the races at Ascot on Saturday? (Don't worry, I won't add my ratings into the mix!). @richard-westwood @MCLARKE @Zilzalian

10 minutes ago, harry_rag said:

2nd one in the last couple of days where I've been done by not having the extra place onside though, in this case, I think I didn't have the option rather than swerving based on price. A man's got to know his limitations and I'm happy to accept that a simple rating system based on 3 freely available RP numbers is never going to be the holy grail especially when I'm not applying any subjective overview of the sort that @Zilzalian uses to sort the wheat from the you know what. But it's a definitely a step up in terms of how I'd have selected bets previously (unless I was following any of you lot) and it's allowing me to fine tune the spreadsheet.

Speaking of which, how about we take it for a run with a combined effort on one of the races at Ascot on Saturday? (Don't worry, I won't add my ratings into the mix!). @richard-westwood @MCLARKE @Zilzalian

Sounds good to me 🙂 

1 hour ago, harry_rag said:

Well if people go back to the experiment for the 1000g 2000g derby and oaks it was quite successful  in identifying value and at least giving an idea of a path to profitability as opposed to just guessing or following the noise. As for Saturday it depends on the races we choose I suppose my personal opinion is that it must be a pattern race or a very top tier handicap if the pattern races cut up to nothing as as happened recently. There are 4 pattern races.

315 york   G2

150 ascot  G3

225 ascot  G3

415 ascot listed

Shall we do all 4? maybe give the small stakes players an option of a lucky 15.?

5 minutes ago, Zilzalian said:

Well if people go back to the experiment for the 1000g 2000g derby and oaks it was quite successful  in identifying value and at least giving an idea of a path to profitability as opposed to just guessing or following the noise. As for Saturday it depends on the races we choose I suppose my personal opinion is that it must be a pattern race or a very top tier handicap if the pattern races cut up to nothing as as happened recently. There are 4 pattern races.

315 york   G2

150 ascot  G3

225 ascot  G3

415 ascot listed

Shall we do all 4? maybe give the small stakes players an option of a lucky 15.?

I was going to let you wise monkeys choose the race, I’m game for the quartet if you’re all of a mind to do it, if not agree the race(s) between you and I’ll do the crunching. Do we want to do it on Thursday when the 48 hour decs are known? Extra early value v worrying about non runners.